Front Brake Line Fitting Sizes

JKady

Reaction score
Put Cobra brakes on the front of my car a year and a half ago, they came with braided lines but when I went to install them they didn't fit the hardline on the car. I bought the kit second hand from a Fox body owner so I just assumed that they were different on those cars and tossed em in my toolbox to be forgotten.

I found them the other day and noticed that one line is significantly larger than the other at the fitting, which was my issue when they didn't fit on the car.

Will those lines work on my 95 GT? Would like to run them if I can or sell them on to someone that can use them if the won't work.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'd have to take a look at the chassis-end of the hoses. The two front SS lines where they attach to the chassis for a 94/95 should be different sizes. The driver side is actually larger than the passenger side. Is it possible that you had the wrong one for the side when you tried to install them? Or did you try both lines on the same side? I don't know if Fox lines would work on a SN95.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
You'd have to take a look at the chassis-end of the hoses. The two front SS lines where they attach to the chassis for a 94/95 should be different sizes. The driver side is actually larger than the passenger side. Is it possible that you had the wrong one for the side when you tried to install them? Or did you try both lines on the same side? I don't know if Fox lines would work on a SN95.

I know they're different side to side now, I didn't look at the hoses side by side to know they were different, I tried one, it didn't fit so I went ahead and used the stocker. What I'm asking is if lines for a fox will fit an SN95 before I go buy fluid and tear into the car.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah sorry. I do not know for sure. However, I think the answer is no for 2 reasons:

1) MM lists SS lines for SN95 as a different part number than the Fox, meaning they are actually different items and thus are not interchanegeable
2) MM has a special part that allows one to use SN95 hoses on a Fox body (to put a 94-04 big brake kit on a Fox), and in the description it says this:

Required when installing a Brembo, StopTech, or Wilwood big brake kit onto a 1979-93 Mustang. This adapter fitting allows the connection of the passenger side SN95 front brake hose, included with these big brake kits, to the passenger-side brake hard-line on a Fox chassis Mustang. Only one adapter fitting required per car.

To me, I can infer that Fox lines will not work on a SN95 (well, technically the driver side Fox line might work, but the passenger side won't).

RichV

Reaction score
Well, my Fox had SN brakes with SN brake lines. So in short, Fox lines do not fit SNs, but the chassis connection is the same for SN or Fox. I used the SN lines when I ran 99-04 PBR GT calipers in the front of my Fox. IIRC they were 95 Cobra lines. When I totaled the Fox, I bolted the same brake setup on my 94. So it does work in some proportion. There are 2 different size fittings for each side, that is normal. But I had a Frankenstein of brake stuff on the Fox, so I just got lucky.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Well, my Fox had SN brakes with SN brake lines. So in short, Fox lines do not fit SNs, but the chassis connection is the same for SN or Fox. I used the SN lines when I ran 99-04 PBR GT calipers in the front of my Fox. IIRC they were 95 Cobra lines. When I totaled the Fox, I bolted the same brake setup on my 94. So it does work in some proportion. There are 2 different size fittings for each side, that is normal. But I had a Frankenstein of brake stuff on the Fox, so I just got lucky.
So the Fox hoses will hook up to the hardlines in the SN95? I know the caliper end of these will work with the Cobra brakes since they were part of the kit.

RichV

Reaction score
Yes, they are left/right specific. Or one side may need a fitting available from a part store to fit. Just try it, worst case you'll need to get a pair of lines.

Make sure you use a flare wrench.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Yes, they are left/right specific. Or one side may need a fitting available from a part store to fit. Just try it, worst case you'll need to get a pair of lines.

Make sure you use a flare wrench.

Cool, thanks Rich. I work on cars all day long so it's a little tougher to get motivated and work on my own stuff in my spare time, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be wasting time shoehorning the car into the garage.

RichV

Reaction score
I hear ya, I'm an HVAC guy and it took 10 years to get AC installed in my own home!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99