Front control arm Question, opinions welcome

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am in the process of replacing my front control arm bushings. I ordered the Prothane poly "hydro" style bushings from LRS. I didn't pay much attention at the time that there are 2 types of bushings, hydro and otherwise.

I pulled my control arms off today to find that they are not the hydro style. Now I need to decide if I should go to the U pull and look for some of the hydro style arms, look for some used 03 Cobra arms. I am also not opposed to stiffer bushings but would prefer the least expensive option.

I recently installed new ball joints but it's not a big deal to swap those out.

As much as I would like to buy a MM k member, control arms and coil overs, it's not an option right now

The car is just a "fun driver" with quite a few fun mods, the latest being a MM steering shaft and solid rack bushings and Stifflers trans crossmember and Prothane mount. I am not concerned about NVH.

What would you do?

Thanks!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Me, personally, I'd go with MM front control arms, but that will require also swapping to coilovers. It sounds like from your post that you don't want to spend the money to do this.

If you ordered the wrong bushings, and there's nothing wrong with your current arms, why not just return/sell the hydro bushings and order the correct ones, then install those in your current arms? That seems to be the cheapest/easiest option, unless I'm missing something?

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
No, you aren't missing anything...

I was just looking for a way to use the bushings if I could. I spent an hour walking around the U pull [it was on my way to the dump] and out of 20 or so 94-04 cars they all had the same bushings I have...

As much as I would love to throw the whole MM catalog at my car I just can't right now.

Time to look for new bushings, any suggestions?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I will probably order the Energy suspension kit that includes the metal sleeves. I just looked at the write up Rich V did on installing the Delrin aluminum bushings, I like the idea but they are probably a bit much for a street car.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with a "normal" poly bushing - he Energy suspension ones will most likely work just fine. And yes, delrin aluminum ones will probably be a bit much for a street car. The added advantage to the poly bushings is that you don't have to worry about preloading them if you ever loosen the control arm bolts. With rubber bushings, you are supposed to put the weight of the car on the arms before you do final tightening of the bolts, otherwise you inadvertently put a preload on the rubber bushings. With the poly ones, just tighten them up with the car in the air, no worries.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
You can see the preload on the rubber bushings when you remove the rest of the suspension. The control arms sit almost level and don't relax until you loosen the bolts.

This was another "Mustang learning experience" for me. You are supposed to pry on the edge of the larger bushing and if it moves you have the hydro bushings. I didn't realize how hard you have to pry... that's what led me to think I had standard bushings.

After looking at them for a bit and measuring with a caliper I used a hammer and chisel to get the bushing to move. It turns out I do have hydro bushings. On the small side I used a drill to remove rubber around the sleeve so I could remove it and the cut the rubber out with a sharp blade.

I didn't need to burn out the rubber like the write ups and instructions described. I cleaned up the sleeves with some sandpaper and the poly bushings fit perfectly.

Hopefully this will help someone else who is doing this job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online