Front Entry Intake Options?

Royal96

Reaction score
Lets talk about some front entry intake options for the 4.6 4v C heads.
Couple of options that I know exist:
Sullivan Intake with forward facing plenum
MMR sheet metal intake
FR500 intake

The MRR piece is pretty expensive (not to mention not the best looking piece), The FR500s are super expensive and hard to find. The Sullivan is not too super expensive, but just isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd love something factory looking, like the Ford Racing Manifold for 3vs or the Boss 302 manifold for coyotes, but can't seem to find anything. I wouldn't be afraid to make adapter plates for these manifolds either, but unfortunately they both appear to be too wide for the 4.6 4v.

So any reasonably priced (sub-$1k) bolt on front entry manifolds I'm missing here? Or anything with a similar width that I can adapt?

And for those who will inevitably ask "Why?" (because afaik, the factory 99/01 cobra/03/04 Mach intakes are plenty good), it's because I'm too much of a symmetry freak to do a side entry.

Side note: There's also this manifold that I know nothing about, and is probably ridiculously expensive, but is pretty much exactly what Im looking for (Because thats how it always works):
DSC_0282.jpg

Thanks for any ifno you guys have. :thumbsup:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That one looks 3D printed and carbon fiber mix.

You could go with a normal C head cobra intake but with a custom lid.

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
That one looks 3D printed and carbon fiber mix.

You could go with a normal C head cobra intake but with a custom lid.

Ive thought of doing this, but would probably just swing for the sullivan at that point. Plus I'm not sure how that would affect the air distribution being that the lower was designed with a side entry upper?

Don't they already make a kit to bolt the Boss 302 manifold up to C heads?

For a 5.4. Not a 4.6

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
This sounds good

Along with the usual Four-Valve suspects, we also got the opportunity to test some adapter plates from Kar Kraft (yes, the guys who brought you the Boss 429) that allowed us to run any 5.0L intake manifold on the 4.6L Four-Valve motor. You'll remember that Kar Kraft also supplied a carbureted upper intake for the Navigator intake we tested on the 5.4L; we hope to run the dual-quad version on the 5.4L once it's ready.
In addition to the 5.0L to 4.6L adapter plates, Kar Kraft also offers an upper intake for the 4.6L Aviator manifold, although it was not available in time for testing. Check out the accompanying results and see how your favorite did, but remember, Ford put a lot of work into the factory Cobra intake, and these tests show the Blue Oval really did its homework.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0712-modular-motor-intake-manifold-test/

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
This sounds good

Along with the usual Four-Valve suspects, we also got the opportunity to test some adapter plates from Kar Kraft (yes, the guys who brought you the Boss 429) that allowed us to run any 5.0L intake manifold on the 4.6L Four-Valve motor. You'll remember that Kar Kraft also supplied a carbureted upper intake for the Navigator intake we tested on the 5.4L; we hope to run the dual-quad version on the 5.4L once it's ready.
In addition to the 5.0L to 4.6L adapter plates, Kar Kraft also offers an upper intake for the 4.6L Aviator manifold, although it was not available in time for testing. Check out the accompanying results and see how your favorite did, but remember, Ford put a lot of work into the factory Cobra intake, and these tests show the Blue Oval really did its homework.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0712-modular-motor-intake-manifold-test/

Kar Kraft went under years ago, those adapters were stupid expensive, and I cant even think of any 302 small block front entry intakes anyways. I looked into these when I considered running a gt40 upper with them.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Yup. Ive seen a few floating around from time to time...going for about $200 bucks. Wasnt sure if you considered this option. Hopefully one day we will get a Boss 302 adapter. That would help our cars tremendously. 96-98 intake manifolds suck stock :/

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
Yup. Ive seen a few floating around from time to time...going for about $200 bucks. Wasnt sure if you considered this option. Hopefully one day we will get a Boss 302 adapter. That would help our cars tremendously. 96-98 intake manifolds suck stock :/

I think the reason we don't get adapters for coyote intakes for the 4.6 is because the intake is simply too wide, or maybe become too wide with the adapters?

Just confirmed, the coyote intake is just simply too wide, so it'll basically never happen.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I think the reason we don't get adapters for coyote intakes for the 4.6 is because the intake is simply too wide, or maybe become too wide with the adapters?

Just confirmed, the coyote intake is just simply too wide, so it'll basically never happen.

:/ That sucks. I wonder (if it were theoretically possible) what the power gains would be even be over say a ported b or c head cobra intake manifold

I know that the Boss 302 sees 10 RW over the stock manifold..kinda hard to compare but i have also seen a company claim up to 30RW gain on a b/c head cobra Ported intake. Maybe porting it is good enough? :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive thought of doing this, but would probably just swing for the sullivan at that point. Plus I'm not sure how that would affect the air distribution being that the lower was designed with a side entry upper?

Good thinking! The Marauder and cobra are the same intakes but opposite side entry. Honestly, I couldn't see were any side entry would effect performance. I can see were the side entry would favor feeding easier to the opposite side ports over the ports directly under the throttle body. But if you take a close look at a cobra intake under the hat youll notice their are no ports to feed. Only more entry ports to the inside common area where all the intake runner feed from. SOOOOO ,....youre in luck. Just make a custom hat/lid front entry.

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
So from the looks of it, the picture of the intake I posted in the OP was off some sort of preproduction Aviator? So it's a one off piece.

Good thinking! The Marauder and cobra are the same intakes but opposite side entry. Honestly, I couldn't see were any side entry would effect performance. I can see were the side entry would favor feeding easier to the opposite side ports over the ports directly under the throttle body. But if you take a close look at a cobra intake under the hat youll notice their are no ports to feed. Only more entry ports to the inside common area where all the intake runner feed from. SOOOOO ,....youre in luck. Just make a custom hat/lid front entry.

Im actually starting to think up a good design in my head... so that may be just what I do.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have a marauder upper lid that has entry on the opposite side{driver side} along with the gasket. If I can help out let me know. Ive got access to some good equipment to aid in building.

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
I have a marauder upper lid that has entry on the opposite side{driver side} along with the gasket. If I can help out let me know. Ive got access to some good equipment to aid in building.

Ill let you know when I get to that point. Thanks. :thumbsup:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought there was a guy on here that had a sweet turbo or TT mustang that he had a front intake on like you describe. He won the mustang week dyno day if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
I thought there was a guy on here that had a sweet turbo or TT mustang that he had a front intake on like you describe. He won the mustang week dyno day if I am not mistaken.

That twin 67mm Saleen? If so, it had a 5.4, so his options were a bit wider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online