Front lower ball joints

Snahsberries

Reaction score
I just got quoted 1200 for the job, I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not, but it seems really steep for popping some old ball joints out and putting them back in. What does something like that usually cost?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Hell, SN95 front suspension is easy. Shouldn't be any more than 5 hours of labor and that's taking your time. Should be half that price, if anything. Maybe even lower.

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
Is this something you think a newbie could do with someone more mechanically inclined? Cheapest I found was 890 after calling a handful of places.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yes. Even if you can't find the tool to press out the old and press in the new, just take the removed control arms and new BJs to a machine shop with a hydraulic press and you'll pay a few dollars for it all. THen just install them back in the car. Alternatively there are press tools for rent at local major brand auto part stores but I can't speak for those. I only ever used 20-ton presses for my balljoints.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Some people just replace the whole arm. If they are original, your bushings are worn and dry rotted I'm sure.

I agree. If the balljoints are gone, the inner bushings are likely gone as well.

I think my Moog arms were $80 each and it made a noticable difference in tightness in the front end most likely due to the inner bushings.

However, from a DIY perspective I actually think installing balljoints only would be easier than the entire arm if the vehicle has OEM springs. If you don't have the right spring compressor it's a total PITA, especially if it's your first time. An OTC 7045B would make it easier, but now you are investing $250-300 into a tool you'll likely use once.

OP, i'd get a quote from a mechanic on replacing both front control arms and compare, i'd also try a different shop.

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
Going to go the control arm route. Are TRQ parts any good or is it a must to spend more money on control arms?

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
Got quoted 850 for the front lower control arm swap. That feels like a decent deal after calling ten places. Was looking to get the quarter panel replaced on it and a paint job this summer, but making sure it's mechanically sounds makes more sense. Maybe next year, haha. I really appreciate the help, guys, the car holds a lot of sentimental value, so your input goes a long way.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Hardest part is getting the spring back in there.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
For a time comparison, you really need to tel the forum if your mustang is all stock, lowered, etc. If it's lowered, springs are a snap. On another note, your original ball joints are lined with neoprene in the cup. This is for NVH. If you buy a ball joint with a grease zerk it will ride like an 86'.

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
It's all stock right now with 87k miles. Just trying to get everything back to good mechanically. I take it an 86' is a worse quality ride then?

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
All stock suspension wise, anyways, it has a couple light power modifications from a previous owner. That's it.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Ford got it right from 87 to 04 with their ball joints and yes you will notice the difference in ride quality.

OP
OP
S

Snahsberries

Reaction score
Sorry for just now hopping back in here, roofing season has been crazy this year. I got the ball joints replaced, the bushings were fine, apparently, finally got my brakes done correctly, and have some other stuff on the way for the car. Going to shop for a winter beater this fall too. Thanks for all your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregssn96

Members online