Front Lower Control Arm Removal?!?!

jasonkb77

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 97 GT. First SN95 Ive owned. Ball joints and tie rod ends were shot, and my new wheels were rubbing on the control arms at full lock.. Soo I decided to snag some termi control arms to swap in. Upon trying to unbolt the control arms from the k member, I realized the front bolts wouldnt pull out more than 1/2 way without hitting the rack.. Do I seriously have to remove the rack?! or is there a work around? Thanks for insight.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Just pull out the bolts for the steering rack and see if it will move enough for you to get the a arm bolts out.

OP
OP
J

jasonkb77

Reaction score
Just pull out the bolts for the steering rack and see if it will move enough for you to get the a arm bolts out.

I did unbolt the rack and try to pull it out some.. I did not however disconnect the other tie rod (facepalm) lol. Appreciate the input.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

Did you pull the boot back to see if the steering limiters were there. Just a thought.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-steeringrack-limiters.html

Regards

Heya MecGen,

I think he's referencing the bolts which hold the control arm to the k-member. They have some clearance issues with the steering rack's housing & outer tie-rods. They can be kind of tricky at times.

The issue he's speaking about doesnt have anything to do with the interior mechanisms of the steering rack. :)

Thanks for your input, tho!

And OP, dont worry: pulling the rack is not a huge deal and if you remove the mounting bolts to the rack, it may give you enough "play" to wiggle the bolts past.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh could be, but I was thinking about the spacers as a quick check before replacing the lower control arms, for the rubbing problem.

ah. gotcha. I did indeed miss that tid-bit... lol.

good suggestion on the limiters!

1bad95

Reaction score
Just did mine yesterday and just had to take off the nuts to the rack and slide it out some and was able to get the bolts out

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jasonkb77

Reaction score
Havnt checked back recently, but thanks everyone for all the quick input.
The issue was resolved by pulling the steering rack for clearance, and took that as an opportunity to put some offset prothane bushings back in. Before and after turning radius was improved, and Raybestos Pro ball joints replaced the stock termi ones. Great write up btw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online