Front Main Seal Replacement

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Without removing the damned timing cover... What's the best way to remove the FMS? Mine has a really bad leak. I leak around a quart a week. I'd really rather not remove that damned thing again so without doing that, is there a way to get it out and the new one in?

2v for anyone guessing what I drive :)

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Hardest part is pulling the balancer ..... It's gonna be ok brother. Balancer bolt is TTY if I recall correctly

Have you ordered the gasket?

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I've had the timing cover off and I actually used a 3 tooth to get the balancer off. Worked like a ****in charm man. So I'll probably re use that method to get it off again. I just don't wanna pull the cover again haha. And negative. I have one somewhere but don't know where. So I'll just buy another one I know their pretty cheap.

Also whats TTY?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Toque to yeild. Basically the bolt stretches..... I always replace with an ARP one the first time I pull a balancer.

The D3V

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
O shit I'm actually glad you said that I reused my old bolt, hmmm... When I had my timing cover off I was replacing my head gaskets and one of my heads that had a spark plug shoot out of (and to think I managed to get it back together, beat the shit out of it this past year, and it still runs!)... And I didn't use a manual or anything like that. Just checked some torque specs online and went off the basic knowledge of head replacement's I knew... I must have overlooked the TTY balancer bolt I should pick up an ARP too while I'm at it

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Found a writeup on the corral that says using a screwdriver to pop the old one out and a socket to tap the new one in.. Hmmm.. That's awfully close to the crank to be messing around with but I may give it a try when the time comes

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
WTF

Since when was it not possible to replace your front main seal without having to remove your timing cover?

- Remove crank balancer.
- Remove seal.
- Replace seal.
- Reinstall crank balancer.

Been there done that.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
unu3epyq.jpg

Just went out side and tried to pull one out by hand...... and I didn't have a crank to deal with.... ended smackin from behind.... granted that cover had +120k miles of grime....

The D3V

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yep I'm a crafty guy I'll figure it out. I DID mess with it a little when I had the cover off. I'm afraid that's what got me the issue in the first place lol. I hope I don't have to resort to removing it lol but hey who knows. Mine has 145k on it so the amount of shit around the seal is probably fairly substantial. Tho I've had it all apart and cleaned it soo..... I'll see what happens when I decide to bring it home. Thanks for the info!

Wichers123

Reaction score
That's why they make seal pullers. I use want shaped like the head of a hammer head shark. Make sure you put sealant in the key way too. Btw I reuse the crank bolt every time. You press pulley back on and then tighten bolt.

RichV

Reaction score
Also look for grooves on the harmonic. When younger I had a 5.0 that leaked bad, I replaced the seal and it still leaked. Turned out the balancer was grooved and the leak was a balancer more than seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online