Front springs suck!!!!!!

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
Well I really don't know because I can't get to them. All I have is a ratchet set and the bolts to the front strut is being a PITA!
As of the past week this is how it sits lol. It looks like it's launching sitting still. :hammer:

Suspect

Reaction score
;D looks like u got hydraulics. which springs did u get? good luck on gettin the front 2 in. :)

97blackgt

Reaction score
where are you from?

i think you need to learn a few things from the new york state mechanics on how to loosen bolts...lol

good luck though man

ripper

Reaction score
Screw it jack up the rear and join the Stevo high riders. :banana:

Downshift

Reaction score
Why are you messing with the front strut? Im pretty sure I never touched mine when I put my front springs on. Goodluck getting them in though you will be much happier.

GDawg

Reaction score
WD-40 and 24 hours... for your front STRUTS... (not called shocks)

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Why are you messing with the front strut? Im pretty sure I never touched mine when I put my front springs on. Goodluck getting them in though you will be much happier.
i wanna see how you installed springs without taking off one of the ends of your struts. ???

Downshift

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
5.0wned said:
i wanna see how you installed springs without taking off one of the ends of your struts. ???

Hmm lol. Maybe Im wrong I havnt looked at the front suspension in a while..... I did mine like a year ago. I could have sworn I just unbolted the sway bar and yanked the ball joint and pulled the spring out and reverse that. I really dont remember touching the struts when I did the springs though, because when i put my bilsteins in I remember the strut bolts being a PITA.

ryclef331

Reaction score
There are TWO ways....both involve unhooking the front sway bar.

the NORMAL way everyone does them, is unbolt the two strut bolts from the knuckle with a jack under the control arm. Lower the jack (make sure your caliper is unbolted and secured out of the way or else you could fuck up the lines). Pop old spring out, swap over isolators (if you want) and PRY the SHIT out of the new spring to get it in.

The OTHER lesser heard of way (and the way I do it) is to unbolt the CONTROL ARM (or A-Arm) from the k-member...again with a jack positioned under it and drop the spring out THAT way, relying on the pivot of the ball joint. I found you get ALOT more sag out of the arm meaning less fighting of the spring's pressure when you jack it BACK up to reinstall the bolts. I find THIS way is a MILLION times easier. This was putting in Eibach Drag Launch springs so putting in DROP springs might be easier the when unhooking the strut. Lineing up the a-arm holes is just a matter or jacking the arm BACK up to the right height and moving the jack, in or out, as you see fit to reinstall the bolts.

Unbolting the strut from the top is NOT required!

OP
OP

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
I'm going with the H&R Supersports so I thought since it will be riding a lil lower and since I was in there I might as well do the Struts and shocks. I sprayed WD-40 on them and let them sit for a week when it was around 7 degrees here. All the mechanics around here since it is a college town want around $300 to do it and claim that it is a 4 hour job. I pretty much laugh at them.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Is it the lower two bolts or the top nut giving you grief? If its the lowers, you either better Man-UP and put some ass behind it or get a bigger breaker bar.

If its the upper nut, the shaft of the strut can turn with the nut and there is nothing to hold it from doing so. An Impact will make QUICK work of taking the nut off but some strut manufacturers say not to use an impact on their parts. You can reach up there in the fender and grab the black plastic dust cover and squeeze the shit out of it with your hand and use a ratchet on top.

Downshift

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Is it the lower two bolts or the top nut giving you grief? If its the lowers, you either better Man-UP and put some ass behind it or get a bigger breaker bar.

If its the upper nut, the shaft of the strut can turn with the nut and there is nothing to hold it from doing so. An Impact will make QUICK work of taking the nut off but some strut manufacturers say not to use an impact on their parts. You can reach up there in the fender and grab the black plastic dust cover and squeeze the shit out of it with your hand and use a ratchet on top.

Exactly lol. What shocks and struts are you going with? Man our cars are gonna be way similar haha. Both black 94s with H&R ss and 03 cobra wheels.... ill tell you it looks good before hand haha.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Hmm lol. Maybe Im wrong I havnt looked at the front suspension in a while..... I did mine like a year ago. I could have sworn I just unbolted the sway bar and yanked the ball joint and pulled the spring out and reverse that. I really dont remember touching the struts when I did the springs though, because when i put my bilsteins in I remember the strut bolts being a PITA.

there is like no way that the control arm will go low enough to get the spring out without removing the strut. unless maybe you disconnct the control arm. but that would be more of a PITA IMO.

ryclef331

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
there is like no way that the control arm will go low enough to get the spring out without removing the strut. unless maybe you disconnct the control arm. but that would be more of a PITA IMO.

I thought the same thing at first...but when I didn't have a pry bar handy while putting in drag launch springs, we dropped the control arm with the strut still hooked....I'm hear to tell you, it is WAY easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online