front suspension issues

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Ok, I finally got the car looked at, and it seems the damage is worse than I thought...though I would think some of this is due to age rather than that pothole.

I do indeed need an alignment.

BUT.....

My front bushings are shot. So my control arms are just doing whatever they want.
And the Driver's strut is leaking a little. So he's wanting to replace all 4.
He gave me the estimate sheet.
$1085
-------------------------------

Now that's more than I even set for my suspension upgrades let alone fixing anything.

So my question is now to you guys.

Pony up the dough and roll on old suspension, or buy the bushings and and take it elsewhere.
He's a big stickler for wanting to go through Ford Racing and other sites with brands I've never even heard of and me buying parts through him.

He was great about my catback, $60 installed. In about an hour.

But the fixing of the front end is a bit high I would think when you can buy bushings under 80 and I would guess another place would just charge labor.

Thoughts?

RichV

Reaction score
The bushings are not an easy job. And will require some specialized tools.

That being said, you can get a complete bushing kit from energy or prothane for around $200, this will include a lot of stuff for suspension. Add a set of springs for $150 and a decent set of shocks for $300-600,this will essentially rebuild everything. So cost is still pretty close, but you're getting more when you do it yourself. But again you'll need the right tools, bushings are a PITA.

You used to be able to get the 03/04 Cobra front lower control arms from Ford Racing, with bushings. So if you can find a set already done, and get some new front shocks at minimum, maybe it will suffice.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Oh ok, I was wondering if it was a bit overpriced.

He was wanting a new K-Member, control arms, new shocks stuts, brake calipers, bleeding, alignment, the works.

Guess perhaps it's a good excuse to get some new toys regardless.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got the car looked at, and it seems the damage is worse than I thought...though I would think some of this is due to age rather than that pothole.

I do indeed need an alignment.

BUT.....

My front bushings are shot. So my control arms are just doing whatever they want.
And the Driver's strut is leaking a little. So he's wanting to replace all 4.
He gave me the estimate sheet.
$1085
-------------------------------

Now that's more than I even set for my suspension upgrades let alone fixing anything.

So my question is now to you guys.

Pony up the dough and roll on old suspension, or buy the bushings and and take it elsewhere.
He's a big stickler for wanting to go through Ford Racing and other sites with brands I've never even heard of and me buying parts through him.

He was great about my catback, $60 installed. In about an hour.

But the fixing of the front end is a bit high I would think when you can buy bushings under 80 and I would guess another place would just charge labor.

Thoughts?

so wait exactly what does this 1100 include.

it sounds like just the bushings, and 4 struts.

The bushings are not an easy job. And will require some specialized tools.

That being said, you can get a complete bushing kit from energy or prothane for around $200, this will include a lot of stuff for suspension. Add a set of springs for $150 and a decent set of shocks for $300-600,this will essentially rebuild everything. So cost is still pretty close, but you're getting more when you do it yourself. But again you'll need the right tools, bushings are a PITA.

You used to be able to get the 03/04 Cobra front lower control arms from Ford Racing, with bushings. So if you can find a set already done, and get some new front shocks at minimum, maybe it will suffice.

There ya go laid out for ya.

I'd buy everything myself and do it but that's me.

If that's not an option get a second opinion it never hurts to get more then one quote.

Plus you could also do the springs and struts/shocks before going in. Then just have him do the bushings.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just wanted some input.

As for doing the work, that requires tools I don't have, and they have a pretty strict policy on working on cars......

I will ask around.
But that was the initial look.
Granted most shops will nitpick every detail.
You ask to look at one thing and they will give you a laundry list.
But regardless, I'm currently crunching numbers and looking for a good shock/strut/spring setup.
May follow your advice and have different things done in different places.

Just seemed a bit extreme when all I asked is if I was right about my wheel rubbing. Based on his diagnosis, wouldn't both wheels rub?

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Oh Win,
Here is the list he gave me

Shocks/struts
Bushings- Removal/install
Alignment
Said my caliper is leaking, but that could have been from coolant spill, I cleaned it up and am double checking tomorrow.
So assuming that, new calipers, install, brake bleed

The biggest nut cruncher here is:
He supplies the parts
Hotchkiss or however you spell it.
For the shocks/struts
Ford Racing
And another brand.
Issue is he's going manufacturer direct.
So assuming I have him get my FRPP B springs, I pay 200 as opposed to 160 sourcing it myself.
So all costs will be higher for parts.

So I am going to have this other shop look at it, and make it clear I am supplying everything, all I want is labor.

Just sucks, he's right down the block.
And I start College next week.

RichV

Reaction score
Sounds like the shop is actually doing quite a bit for that $1000.

Remember the shop is there to make $ and stay in business. Not to give you the best deal possible. Maybe some of the prices are a little higher on parts, but if you have an issue down the road, there is no question whose responsibility it is to warranty a bunk part. And at that point, he may charge labor again if you supplied it. Just putin' it out there.

Curious what the other shop quotes you. I'd still be trying to find a spot you can work on the car, maybe borrow some tools. They do have places here that rent shop space for automotive projects. Included are lifts, air tools, etc. Cost IIRC is like $30/day.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I understand a business wanting to make money on the parts. It's just part of your P&L

We made a killing on parts when I managed a shop. It's crazy how much money there is in them actuAlly.

I also understood the consumer needing to save money and get the parts themselves. The ones that paid it were the ones that there time was valuable and wanted it done right then and there and didn't have time to piddle fart around and hunt down the parts.

My advice to you source every damn part you want to do.

To to a friends jack up the car and just see what needs replacing. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined you'll be able to tell what needs replacing and what does

OH AND IF HE CANT TELL COOLANT FROM BRAKE FLUID I WOULD NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN!!!!

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I need to check around.
I don't mind buying tools to work on my car.
But I got a letter on the door about that day I swapped radiators.

Granted there was little to now wet spots. I tried very hard to keep it clean.

Someone called management on me....

And I get they have to make money to stay in business.
But I just don't really like spending money on things I can do myself.
So I really need to find a place to tinker.

I've never done bushings, but the rest I've done numerous times.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Some people are really good working on their car, and others not so good. Just because someone works on their own car doesn't mean the work is getting done correctly. Because you are limited with tools, and a place to work on the car, I would have the shop do it, and be happy you won't have to deal with the aggravation.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Some people are really good with working on their car, and others not so good.Just because someone works on their own car doesn't mean the work is getting done correctly. Because you are limited with tools, and a place to work on the car, I would have the shop do it and be happy you won't have to deal with the aggravation.

This is is very true. I used to always see people come Into the shop I managed and it always started out. Well I was changing xxxxx and I don't know what happened. It happened at least once a day. Usually people ended up costing themselves double what it would have cost to fix it in the first place.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Agree with both of you.

But for many things personally, I like to do them.
But on occasion, buying the tools and accessories is so close that I just pay anyway.

The exhaust was a lack of proper tools, and then the wrench slipped due to inadequate working space and my hand fractured lol
That made it an easy decision.
Should have ponied up the extra $99 for a better jack to get the lift I needed to use my jackstands. haha

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Some people are really good with working on their car, and others not so good.Just because someone works on their own car doesn't mean the work is getting done correctly. Because you are limited with tools, and a place to work on the car, I would have the shop do it and be happy you won't have to deal with the aggravation.

The one thing I DO NOT do is cosmetics.
lol I always pay for paint or anything body related.

Minus the plasti dip.
But that peels off if I mess up.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Well, found they were on sale, 299 shipped.

So just ordered Koni Oranges.

Now to settle on some springs.

Currently looking in to the front suspension bushings, I figure I'll source then take it to the shop
They said 250 for install and alignment, assuming I brought my own stuff.
and they offer me 1 yr free adjustment under their warranty, so any abnormal wear or anything is covered.

I would just have to sign a waiver.
I read it and chuckled.
You are installing non OEM parts, the ride and handling will be different.
Please drive extra carefully as these parts will drastically change how your vehicle behaves. etc

RichV

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. Just alignment is usually $100+.

You may need CC plates for the alignment to be in spec. Then again, I put Eibach 1.5" lowering springs on my SVO. Never aligned it and it does just fine.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't plan on going any lower than 1.5
Looking around now at springs.

Torn between FRPP Bs, Eibach Pros or maybe even some SRs.
They are all within my drop range.
Just trolling the internet looking for people's opinions with them.

I would love to completely kill my fendergap, but too many potholes, big drops between the road and parking lots, etc.

So I found a happy midground.
Keeping the full revamp under 800 minus labor.
Almost just said screw it and ordered the eibach pro system, but decided against it.

The three shops I've been to here in town, that 100+ is more of a lifted truck type.
The most expensive I found for a passenger car is 75.

RichV

Reaction score
I would go with a progressive rate spring. The B spring is a little rough IMO. Had them on a 86 GT, and I would not DD it with those springs.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. Just alignment is usually $100+.

You may need CC plates for the alignment to be in spec. Then again, I put Eibach 1.5" lowering springs on my SVO. Never aligned it and it does just fine.

do you guys have firestones there. I've always done there lifetime warranty for 149. Doesn't matter what is done to the car. At least that's how it has worked here. I lowered the car they checked the alignment. Even with aftermarket struts/shocks and springs. Still covered.

Yeah, I don't plan on going any lower than 1.5
Looking around now at springs.

Torn between FRPP Bs, Eibach Pros or maybe even some SRs.
They are all within my drop range.
Just trolling the internet looking for people's opinions with them.

I would love to completely kill my fendergap, but too many potholes, big drops between the road and parking lots, etc.

So I found a happy midground.
Keeping the full revamp under 800 minus labor.
Almost just said screw it and ordered the eibach pro system, but decided against it.

The three shops I've been to here in town, that 100+ is more of a lifted truck type.
The most expensive I found for a passenger car is 75.

nah go all out :)

i run Bilstein HD on all 4 corners.

H&R race up front
H&R super race out back :)
Oh and this car is a DD :)

I would go with a progressive rate spring. The B spring is a little rough IMO. Had them on a 86 GT, and I would not DD it with those springs.

Yeah he would probably be comfortable with the Pro kit.

RichV

Reaction score
do you guys have firestones there. I've always done there lifetime warranty for 149. Doesn't matter what is done to the car. At least that's how it has worked here. I lowered the car they checked the alignment. Even with aftermarket struts/shocks and springs. Still covered.

Yea, we do. Not sure if they have that deal, there was a place that did lifetime alignments and they took custom settings too. Even for race cars.

I usually do my own with strings. But it's a PITA. Have a buddy that just started working for really setup shop, so those days are over!

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Can't speak for him, but here there are smaller shops, and the only actual franchise is Les Schwab.

And yeah, 90% of people say Cs are better.
But there are those few that love their Bs.

Still looking around, not a huge rush, maybe Monday I'll order something.

Biggest issue I'm having now, is since my money hit much earlier than expected, I'm really losing all interest in the NPI engine.
That was more of a budget here and now build.

So I'm pricing PI 4.6s and 5.4s.

leaning towards another 5.4 since it's just a driver.
I kind of wish it had not hit til 120-180 days as they said.
I had a brief lapse when I saw an 05 GT 5spd for 9500.
I do love the S197 body, love everything about them really. I've owned 3.

But this is my new toy, so I got back to sourcing parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online