front suspension upgrade ?

xs man 27

Reaction score
hey guys as a winter project I wanna upgrade my front suspension and change out all the all worn out stuff and replace it, I currently have new struts and shocks springs installed from previous owner,, what I did end up picking up was a set of steeda x2 ball joints and a steeda bumpsteer kit, I was going to get new inner tie rod from moogs but if anyone brand people suggest lmk thanks. my question is what else should I upgrade and replace when having installed the ball joints and bumpsteer kit ? besides the inner tie rods what else sway bar end links ? thank you for any replies and help

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ball joints, tie rods, end links and an alignment and you should be pleasantly pleased.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
General use of the car and as is often the case budget will probably dictate how much you do. Is it just for DD or extra? What is the budget?

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
thank you for all replies, general use of car is just a weekend cruiser at best,, def no track or racing but looking to get a better ride outta of it and all the clank and rattle pop sounds,, I found a good deal on the steeda ball joints and bumpsteer so I don't mind spending to match them but don't need anything to much if you understand,,, thanks again

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
also I forgot to mention I am going to be adding max, motorsports caster camber plates once I can find a good deal on em or just buy em out bc those are the only ones I m going to get ,,, will keep my eye out till,, thanks again

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I have a set of max motorsport CC plates I need to sell. Let me take a look and see I have been in the middle of fun family stuff and can't remember where I am at with the car...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find a set of 03/04 Cobra front A arms that would be a nice subtle upgrade as well. Slightly revised geometry and a little more tire clearance. Fins a cheap used set and put the new ball joints in them.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you have the money and like to push the car, MM or griggs is the way to go. Bumpsteer is usually for cars that are lowered, ball joints you should get anyway. I tend to go with poly bushings because they are stiffer than rubber, but if you dont like a stiff ride then stuck with rubber. Also moog is a really goood brand. If you want to have a good fun cruiser, get some eibach or H&R springs with some Koni's or bilsteins and make sure most or alll bushings are new and call it a day. Just make sure theres no play in the suspension.

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
bump... hey guys I have decided to do my front suspension this spring and so far I have the following and was going to purchase the following ,, if anyone sees anything I missed and should get please info me,,

parts I have koni struts and shocks, tokiko springs that were on the car, New steeda ball joints , steeda bumpster kit not installed yet steeda.

parts I am going to purchase are the following
MM caster plates
MM alum steering rack bushing
MM front control arm bushing
MM swaybar bushings
MM swaybar endlinks
Moogs inner tie rods

if I am missing anything or any other help will be great, thanks again

Thomas_W

Reaction score
MM steering shaft is the only thing i would add additionally to the front suspension.

What are you planning for the rear?

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
is the MM steering shaft worth it if I am just cruising around town for a weekend car , anybody with it can chime in ? and also about the rear I haven't given much thought besides bushings,, thanks again for reply

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It helps tighten up the steering feel. Its one of those items thats on my short list (probably the next mod)

RichV

Reaction score
The steering shaft is something extremely noticeable if yours is wearing, not so much if yours is in good shape. Specially just driving to Burger King, it is noticeable on track for sure.

Stick with poly for all your bushings on a driver, the NVH will be significantly higher already.

For the rear suspension, MM HD LCA and new OEM UCA with new axle bushings will restore the ride out back. What kind of Konis do you run? Make sure they are matched to the spring rates, for the maximum out of your setup. The last thing is tires, if you have the best suspension setup but crappy tires, your car will handle horribly. So don't let that slip through the cracks, go with a set of 300-400 tread wear sport tires.

Lastly, toss on a set of front 99-04 brake calipers and brackets (assuming you have a 94-98 GT), then HAWK HPS pads at all corners. It will feel like a new car!

OP
OP
X

xs man 27

Reaction score
thanks for all replies,, I am going to go with all MM front suspension parts and just hold off on the steering shaft from there till later on if needed, when I bought the car the previous owner had just installed kyb struts not konis and bullit rear shocks with tokiko springs also he had installed steeda upper and lower control arms and front and rear sway bars too, I had bought 2 years ago a set of staggered saleens with nitto tires all new from am or lmr, and lastly the previous owner had installed cobra front brake kit and I had already replaced the rotors and pads... car did come with some goodies and a lot of headaches... thanks again for the reply rich V

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
is the MM steering shaft worth it if I am just cruising around town for a weekend car , anybody with it can chime in ? and also about the rear I haven't given much thought besides bushings,, thanks again for reply

it doesn't do much besides gives the driver a more confident feeling when steering. if yours needs to be replaced, i would replace it with this. however, if it isn't a car thats going to be raced, i would spend that money else where.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online