Front tire recommendations

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of you know I got my new wheels on last Friday. Wednesday evening I drove the car for the first time, about a mile from my house to a friends and back. Thursday one of the front tires was flat already. So today I pulled it off and took it back to the tire shop to have them check it out. The tires were used to begin with and the guy at the shop said they had problems out of one of the fronts where a small section of the bead was torn and having a hard time sealing. So looks like it's just about un-fixable and I don't wanna take a chance on it grenading on me and wiping out my new wheel so I'm on the hunt for a new set of tires for the front.

The tires I'm running right now are 255/35/18 Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR. I like the way they look but virtually have no experience with them since I've only driven the car a mile...so I don't know how they ride or anything. Tire store says they can have a set Monday morning for $192 each for a total of $466 mounted and balance for the pair. I looked on discount tire and found them for $171 each. I'm not looking for the greatest tire on the road, just something that has a pretty decent looking tread but still performs very well. The car is mostly used for cruising around town and a few out of town trips on highways to go to the movies or races. It will probably never see an autoX course or anything simply due to the lack of such in my area, and will only go down the strip a couple times a year just to have fun. So basically what's a good all around daily driver tire for the front, something a little cheaper than the Nitto's? I like them but if they are a little overkill for a DD then I don't mind saving some money on something more suitable. Not worried about snow cuz we get that like once a year here lol, it may see a few rainy days but that's about it. I'm gonna shop around this weekend and try to order something by Monday.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
I really like my Nittos. Same tire as you have. I had 265/35-18s up front that I ran for years and I always felt my tires followed grooves in the road too much.
Just switched to a 245/40-18 tire up front and that feeling has gone away. All cars ride differently, but for me, it felt just too wide up front. Real happy now, those Nittos have been used for years.

Discount Tire has great prices, I bought quite a few sets from them on line over the years. Free shipping & no taxes. Mounting 18" tires & wheels out here go for about $25 each

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I really like my Nittos. Same tire as you have. I had 265/35-18s up front that I ran for years and I always felt my tires followed grooves in the road too much.
Just switched to a 245/40-18 tire up front and that feeling has gone away. All cars ride differently, but for me, it felt just too wide up front. Real happy now, those Nittos have been used for years.

Discount Tire has great prices, I bought quite a few sets from them on line over the years. Free shipping & no taxes. Mounting 18" tires & wheels out here go for about $25 each

So far that's what I'm thinking about doing is just going back with what I have.

JKady

Reaction score
I've had Nexen N3000's on the front of my car for a couple years (Installed by the previous owner), they look good and are really affordable. I honestly can't complain about them, they sucked on the rear in the rain but other than that they seem pretty decent, and they're even ZR rated.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Check out eBay dude. I got my NT555's for $225 for a pair. I felt like that was a pretty good deal. I've had them all the way around my car and I'm really impressed with them. The tread is deep and they have a good milage rating so they should last a while. They were quieter than most tires I've ridden on and they were smooth when La and Ms roads allowed it lol. I would go back with them it was me. I see if I can fine you a link for the set I bought.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Never mind, I'm smoking crack. Mine are 17's. I just looked at prices for 18's. They are crazy, and now I have no more input lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online