Frustrated with my 95

jedpony

Reaction score
My car recently blew out two header bolts on the passenger side on the very back. I ordered some new bolts and have continually tried to get the bolts in and started. I cant seem to get them started and the header tube is in the way every time i think i have it started. The headers are mac equal length and im seriously going crazy messing with them. Im getting rid of the car very soon in a trade and need to get these on. Any ideas or suggestions would help.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Thought you were trading it like yesterday????

take your time take a step back and look at it.... Loosen your mid pipe so it will allow you to possibly wiggle he header some... Also loosen all the header bolts so it can have a little breathing room to get it in there.

hope you ordered locking one.

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Thought you were trading it like yesterday????

take your time take a step back and look at it.... Loosen your mid pipe so it will allow you to possibly wiggle he header some... Also loosen all the header bolts so it can have a little breathing room to get it in there.

hope you ordered locking one.

We were but he couldn't get off work so we decided on January to meet up. I just really don't want to detach it from the midpipe but i guess i might have too. Might be easier to take the header off completely on that side and put in the bolts on the back first since they are the hardest to reach.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I would do that......oh and personally I would keep your car... I miss my 347 and wish I would have found a way to keep it and make it pass emissions.

KEEP YOUR CAR ITS NICER THEN A SIMPLE PLAIN JANE 99 COBRA WITH A PIECE OF JUNK T45 TRANNY COMPARED TO YOUR 3550.

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Yeah I would do that......oh and personally I would keep your car... I miss my 347 and wish I would have found a way to keep it and make it pass emissions.

KEEP YOUR CAR ITS NICER THEN A SIMPLE PLAIN JANE 99 COBRA WITH A PIECE OF JUNK T45 TRANNY COMPARED TO YOUR 3550.

That 347 you had sounded so good! Lol yeah i know those transmissions arent as good as the 3550 i have. Its all stock with the exception of a saleen body. I was going to do a t56 swap though anyways.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
You could find a longer bolt with the same size threads and try to screw it in and clean out the threads...a longer bolt would just give you a lil more room to play with, since you're having trouble with the header tube getting in your way. If that works maybe it'll be a lil easier to get the actual header bolts in.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
My BBK headers came with special bolts with a smaller head. The origional bolts cannot be used at all.
You can get some allen head bolts with the same threads to work though. I was able to get some grade 8 from Lowes. Don't forget a lock washer too.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
That 347 you had sounded so good! Lol yeah i know those transmissions arent as good as the 3550 i have. Its all stock with the exception of a saleen body. I was going to do a t56 swap though anyways.

Dude not worth it... The 99/01 aren't keeping there value like a 94-95 Vert with low miles trust me keep it!!!!

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
You might try a prying device of some type to pry on the tubes to get the wholes to line up.

95opal

Reaction score
You might try a prying device of some type to pry on the tubes to get the wholes to line up.

This /\ Not uncommon for the macs to move slightly here and there. A prick punch or screwdriver will pry it into place so you can get the bolt started. No need to mess around with undoing the mid-pipe to header bolts.

ProKiller

Reaction score
This /\ Not uncommon for the macs to move slightly here and there. A prick punch or screwdriver will pry it into place so you can get the bolt started. No need to mess around with undoing the mid-pipe to header bolts.

exactly what i was going to say. the mac aren't solid flange so the mid-pipe won't help much at all. i despised my mac headers for this exact reason. everytime installing them was all about how much leverage you could get on that particular pipe to get he bolts in.

stingracer

Reaction score
My car recently blew out two header bolts on the passenger side on the very back. I ordered some new bolts and have continually tried to get the bolts in and started. I cant seem to get them started and the header tube is in the way every time i think i have it started. The headers are mac equal length and im seriously going crazy messing with them. Im getting rid of the car very soon in a trade and need to get these on. Any ideas or suggestions would help.

This happened to me after leaving my headers removed for a few months. A bit of corrosion made it impossible to install my bolts. Shoot the bolt hole with wd40 let it soak for a minute then try screwing in your bolt in a bit then out. Once you can get it mostly in remove the bolt and shoot it once more liberally to clean it out.

GL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, i finally got them in and no more exhaust leak. The problem was the bolts i received were too long. So i simply took off two of the other bolts already on it that were easy to access. Then used the shorter bolts for the back ones i couldn't get and used the longer ones were i pulled the other two. The shorter bolts still barely got on but it worked, just had to use a small open end wrench.

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Also its crazy how much a bad exhaust leak effects power. The car feels completely different know lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online