FTR Watts Link (Currently in testing)

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Nice man ! This is going to be sweet can't wait to see the end result . Do you have any of the tow hooks you designed before left or do I need to order one ?

Yup I've got more. If you want to order pm me thru here and I'll give you the sn95 forums discount.

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
how much $$$ are we talkin again? Looks good that's for sure...

Not sure yet, going to keep it less than the other guys because clearly I don't have the same brand recognition as Griggs or cortex.

That doesn't mean I'm using cheaper components, everything is still going to be made in USA, all hardware grade 8 fine thread, etc

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
That diff fluid smell is overtaking my shop right now. Worth it

14000883917_901ec22a57_z.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I'm doing the exact same thing right now.. im also swaping an axle tho. Think it might be slightly bent.

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Is that enough threads on the nut for the load bolts?

Ended up perfect for me. Torqued load bolts to 10ft/lbs then torque jam nuts to 10ft/lbs. There is actually a clearance hole in the plate so that the watts link does not rely on or put shear force on the load bolts (unlike some kits...)

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Just hard to tell from the pic. Looks like the jam nut only has a few threads holding on.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Just hard to tell from the pic. Looks like the jam nut only has a few threads holding on.

I should probably replace that pic. Looks like I took it the first time I put the diff cover on which was when I had the load boltsinstalled incorrectly so that the feet were still threading. Long story but now if you look at it there is full engagement to the edge of the nut, worked out almost exactly right

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Nah. that pic is fine. Just curious. . Looking good so far. Looks like you got allot things going on lately.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Got the Watts link tacked up, will weld it up next week and start doing some real testing. Then we'll work on the final production version that will have components waterjetted and plasma cut.

As I'm seeing everything go together, its looking like installation will be pretty simple. Was able to negotiate all the fuel lines and weird stock brackets so that pretty much the only modification that should be made is the spare tire well cover. I'm going to have a few of the spare tire well hatch/covers laser cut so that if anyone wants them pre-made they can get it. Of course the alternative is beating the crap out of the sheet metal on the underside of the spare tire well with a deadblow.

14069222649_76a9e316c8_z.jpg

14255504334_69feb8292e_z.jpg

Steep angle in the second pic because the axle is dropped.

RichV

Reaction score
Gettin shit done! Love it.

For the final test, I vote you tow #72 to Byers CO and let me flog it at High Plains Raceway. :D

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Brackets are welded up. Tested last night with a poor-mans-3-link for now and the car feels great. Rear end was definitely more consistent and I could feel the roll center difference. Next revision will have a couple lower mounting points for the propellor for lower roll center.

Here's a video testing it with the pm3l with a stock upper control arm. Clearly the stock arm doesn't do a great job controlling pinion angle, going to be getting a solid arm soon.

[video=vimeo;96827869]http://vimeo.com/96827869[/video]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you cut that hole for the camera or some other reason? Looks good by the way.

I did have a thought as I was reading that you said it fits around all the stock brackets that I thought the verts had an extra brace or something around that area. I don't drive a vert but something to think about for someone that is interested.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
did you cut that hole for the camera or some other reason? Looks good by the way.

I did have a thought as I was reading that you said it fits around all the stock brackets that I thought the verts had an extra brace or something around that area. I don't drive a vert but something to think about for someone that is interested.

Thanks man. Originally cut the hole because I wasn't sure of clearances and I wanted to see what the hell I was working with. Ended up being useful for adjusting the watts, camera, welding in the brackets to the inside of the frame rail, and countless other things. No regrets haha. I may have already mentioned this but I'm thinking I'm going to have a few laser cut so that people can add the cover on as an option.

Good point about the verts, I haven't even thought of it. I'll look into it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online