Fuel Problems

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Okay... I have one of those Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges in my car. Recently my car has been acting a little funny and the Check Engine Light comes on. Also, when I take off from a light, sometimes it feels REALLY sluggish and then maybe around 3500 rpm's I feel like the car just breaks loose. As I was driving home tonight, I noticed that my gauge had no reading at all.... When I was at idle however, it would come on and it would display the lowest red it could. Red on the gauge means lean... When i would then take off from the light it would just stop working all together. Now, before it would bounce about and when it was in the red, i could just push the accelerator and it would immediately go to green (rich), but now all i get when i rev from a standstill is still lean.. What could this be? My car used to run really good and now it just feels like it has lost its umph.

G

GREG@SN95

check your distributor cap and rotor... and plugs

check your timing

check your fuel filter

check the pump

run some fuel injector cleaner

and make sure you are using the correct octane fuel...

between all those you should find/fix your problem

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
I just took another ride in it and im just getting pissed off.... :mad:

So what do you think is the cause of that weird sluggish feeling then the sudden boost of speed when im up in RPM's?? Does that sound like there is a problem with the fuel system or could it be something else??

G

GREG@SN95

CanaryGT said:
I just took another ride in it and im just getting pissed off.... :mad:

So what do you think is the cause of that weird sluggish feeling then the sudden boost of speed when im up in RPM's?? Does that sound like there is a problem with the fuel system or could it be something else??

did you pull the plugs or anything?

If you want to fix it you will need to find the problem... so get to work

S

scarface

^ +2 thats what mine did when the o2 sensor went bad.

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
okay, well does it matter which 02 Sensor I go with??

G

GREG@SN95

CanaryGT said:
okay, well does it matter which 02 Sensor I go with??

go to napa... tell em that you need an O2 sensor... they'll ask what make/model/year and you're all set...

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Yeah, I put in Injector Cleaner (helped a little). Then I checked my MAF, cleaned that and made sure Flangs weren't broken/damaged. I am hoping its the o2 sensor, I just havent gotten a chance to bring it to a shop to get the codes pulled. I asked the ppl at AutoZone and they told me that they only did 96+ mustangs... which I know is Bullshit cause just because they can hook it up and the computer tells them the problem, i know they can get the code still and look it up... Freakin Lazy Bastards... :slap:

G

GREG@SN95

CanaryGT said:
Yeah, I put in Injector Cleaner (helped a little). Then I checked my MAF, cleaned that and made sure Flangs weren't broken/damaged. I am hoping its the o2 sensor, I just havent gotten a chance to bring it to a shop to get the codes pulled. I asked the ppl at AutoZone and they told me that they only did 96+ mustangs... which I know is Bullshit cause just because they can hook it up and the computer tells them the problem, i know they can get the code still and look it up... Freakin Lazy Bastards... :slap:

no they cant actually...

your car is OBD I (no plug in) hence why there are no tuners for our cars

96 began the OBD II... those cpus allow you to plug into the cpu...

did you check out the cap and rotor?

If the weather has recently changed... sometimes a little tad of moisture gets in there and messes with the timing

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
they just need an obd 1 code reader. The plug is on the passenger side back by the firewall

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
CanaryGT said:

no they cant actually...

your car is OBD I (no plug in) hence why there are no tuners for our cars

96 began the OBD II... those cpus allow you to plug into the cpu...

did you check out the cap and rotor?

If the weather has recently changed... sometimes a little tad of moisture gets in there and messes with the timing

Yeah but I still know they can get the code thing by gettin the light sequence and stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online