Fuel pump questions??

GTMedic

Reaction score
So i bought a 94 mustang GT with the 302. Im pretty sure the fuel pump is on the way out. Its stock for now but i have a NOS dry kit that i plan on putting on in the future. Will a 255lph pump be to much. I am pretty sure it has a return line system. Also what about a adjustable fuel pressure reg.? Is it needed or just a good idea with the rest of the stuff? Thanks Cheyenne

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
im not into NOS but your right you do have a return line and a ajustable reg is a good idea...but dont forget to put a new fuel filter in your car.

ryclef331

Reaction score
a 255 will NOT be too much. Thats what requlator is for. I'd definetly get an adjustable one to make sure you can set it where you want it.

OP
OP
G

GTMedic

Reaction score
Got the fuel filter already...Thanks

Is there a ECU problam with a larger fuel pump?

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
A 255lph pump on a street car is huge overkill, our old car made about 220kw at the wheels, erm, 300hp, using a 140lph bosch external pump, running pig-rich.

All you'll be doing is putting unecessary strain on the pump by having it try to pump 255lph through drinking-straw thin lines, where a smaller pump like a 190lph will run cooler and last longer.

fordtech

Reaction score
Monsterbishi said:
A 255lph pump on a street car is huge overkill, our old car made about 220kw at the wheels, erm, 300hp, using a 140lph bosch external pump, running pig-rich.

All you'll be doing is putting unecessary strain on the pump by having it try to pump 255lph through drinking-straw thin lines, where a smaller pump like a 190lph will run cooler and last longer.

Are you kidding a 255lph pump is perfectly fine for our cars if you have the adjustible fuel pressure regulator it will be better and if you do future mods you wont have to worry about the pump I have the walbro 255 pump for about 3 years no problems whatsoever

DisturbedRacing

Reaction score
Go with the 255. It will be perfect. Get an adjustable regulator as the others have stated as well. Also, IMO I would get a good fuel pressure gauge since your are going to be running a dry shot. Get a remote mount gauge, one that mounts on your cowl panel.

GreenPony95

Reaction score
i actually have the same problem, bought my ride pumps noisy as fuck? what brand should i get and if its highflow do you need bigger injectors n rails to get the most of it? thanks

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no experience with nos as of yet so I'm just following this thread as it progresses, but from what I have read elsewhere larger injectors, filter, adj reg and a larger pump such as a 190 or 255 is the norm for a street car with juice. I think there is a split between the two sizes in the pumps some people use the bigger one and others use the smaller one, I guess its personal choice :dunno:

DisturbedRacing

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I have no experience with nos as of yet so I'm just following this thread as it progresses, but from what I have read elsewhere larger injectors, filter, adj reg and a larger pump such as a 190 or 255 is the norm for a street car with juice. I think there is a split between the two sizes in the pumps some people use the bigger one and others use the smaller one, I guess its personal choice :dunno:

Ya really do need the bigger pump just to be safe if your gonna spray IMO. Injector upgrades aren't really important unless you are running a dry kit, because the extra fuel is supplied through the injectors. On a dry shot, stock injectors will do to around 125-150 shot. Much more than that will need injector upgrades. This is all assuming your talking about a stock motor, no heads, cam or extra cubes. The adjustable regulater will help with the tuning, on and off the spray. As far as the pumps being noisy, the bigger the pump the more noise it will make(all the ones I've had experiance with or seen anyways). I have a Walbro 255, and you can hear it pretty good when you first turn the key on. But I can't hear it over the motor. I do have pretty loud exhaust though!!!

fordtech

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the noisy pump the "fix" for it is to put a piece of carpet between the fuel tank and the car that will quite down the pump noise considerably

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online