Fuel pump runs as soon as the battery cable is hooked up! PLEASE HELP

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to ditch that pump. All that will happen, if your wires are too small, is deliver less amps to the pump. This means your pump won't reach max capacity, so it may end up acting like a 255 rather than a 340. Which is no big deal, if you want to keep your stock wires you are going to use a 255 anyway. I would send Aeromotive an email and ask them what would happen if the stock OEM wires aren't quite enough to deliver full amps. If the answer is "the pump won't flow rated capacity" then maybe who cares. As long as you have the correct fuel pressure through the rev range and under load, who cares?

+1 I'm going to upgrade the wiring when I have built motor and boost.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well that is true and its not. It will choke how much current you can get to the pump and limit how fast it can go, but by that point the wire will be starting to get warm and if the fuse doesn't blow it can melt it. I need relays in two places now so I am going to do them both as an instructional as they are not a big deal at all....

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
well that is true and its not. It will choke how much current you can get to the pump and limit how fast it can go, but by that point the wire will be starting to get warm and if the fuse doesn't blow it can melt it. I need relays in two places now so I am going to do them both as an instructional as they are not a big deal at all....

I read some testimonials on summit racing, and american muscle. It seems like majority is using the stock wiring for the pump with no consequences, as long as you don't melt the wiring your good. I still on basic bolt on's....

I definitely want to see DIY wiring for this special pump.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I Been running my 340 on a 10g wire and a relay for years.. It was a simple way to bypass the 2 speed crap on the 98's fuel system..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Usually when it's the chip the fuel pump comes on and stays on when you turn the key to acc..

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I Been running my 340 on a 10g wire and a relay for years.. It was a simple way to bypass the 2 speed crap on the 98's fuel system..

Battery in stock location?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Just ran a wire all the way to the battery(fused). Used the factory wiring to turn the relay on and off. That way the pump primes like normal..

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Just ran a wire all the way to the battery(fused). Used the factory wiring to turn the relay on and off. That way the pump primes like normal..

If you can post a picture of what you did. I am electrical illiterate so I need visuals lol.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I went thru it with another guy on here a while back. I'll see if i can find it.. I think it had pics.. Is all tucked away now..

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I went thru it with another guy on here a while back. I'll see if i can find it.. I think it had pics.. Is all tucked away now..

Alright, anything will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
561892d1314343542-fuel-pump-electric-diagram-fuel_pump_wiring_drawing-1-.jpg.cf.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
That's what the plug looks like.. I pulled the wires out of the red one. Use those to feed pins 86. I took the lil metal clips of the factory wires used them on the new 10g wire. Then push them into the red clip. Ran the + from the red clip to pin 30 on the relay.. The - negative to chassis for ground.. Pin 87 to the battery.. This way your pump acts the same way as stock..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
That's it.. Except i dint cut it.. I pulled the wires out and swap the metal clips.. Also used 10g wire going to the pump on the basket.. It was a pain to reinsert the wires back in ..

OP
OP
B

BigSkySN95

Reaction score
Well the chip didn't fix it so the tank is coming out again tonight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member