Fuel Tank Filler Neck Seal Replacement.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
It is not a hard job, but it sucks. Do this with less than half a tank of gas.

Tools needed, 3/8 drive 10mm socket, 3/8 drive 12mm socket, 1/4 drive 8mm socket, 3/8 extension, 3/8 wratchet, 1/4 extension, 1/4 wratchet, floor jack, 2 jack stands.

Jack up car and install jack stands (safety first)

Removal
Open filler door and remove 3 10mm screws.
Remove 8mm bolt from clamp mounting bracket on fuel tank to filler neck.
Remove 4 8mm screws from rubber dust shield at filler neck from underneeth.
Remove fuel pump connecting plug from mounting clamp.
Install jack under fuel tank and remove 2 fuel tank strap retainer bolts.
Lower fuel tank and remove filler neck.
Remove old seal from fuel tank.

Installation
Clean seal area on fuel tank.
Clean seal area on fuel tank neck.
Install new seal in fuel tank.
Install fuel filler neck.
Jack fuel tank back into place making sure you don't crush any wires.
Never sieze fuel tank retaining bolts and reattach fuel tank straps. (before fully tightening make sure fuel tank is seated properly)
Install 3 10mm bolts in fuel neck.
Install 8mm bolt for filler neck clamp.
Install 4 8mm screws in rubber dust shield.
Install fuel pump wiring harness back in mounting clamp.
Jack up car and remove jack stands.

You are done go filler-up.

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks... had to do this one recently. i guess its not too bad though the original gasket lasted 160K miles :)

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
damn....
ive been wondering if i was the only one who had this happen,
thanks this helps out a ton

ripper

Reaction score
Hmmmm the wifes 95 needs one bad. Dont forget your tools when we go to Gatlinberg Matt. :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ripped mine when i changed my fuel pump last month...once you have it apart its easy to swap and next time you drop the tank you won't rip the gasket because you will uderstand how everythig works.

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
I ripped mine when i changed my fuel pump last month...once you have it apart its easy to swap and next time you drop the tank you won't rip the gasket because you will uderstand how everythig works.
thats how I ripped mine also.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
that's how he ripped his and noticed he was dumping gallons of fuel onto his exhaust on the interstate :rollinglaugh:

drrigg

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my '98 GT and after the $300 quote from Ford I tackled it myself. But instead of dropping the tank I pulled the filler pipe up into the trunk and, after replacing the seal, simply slid it ack down. Took all of 20 minutes including time to find the screws I dropped in the grass.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
drrigg said:
Had the same problem on my '98 GT and after the $300 quote from Ford I tackled it myself. But instead of dropping the tank I pulled the filler pipe up into the trunk and, after replacing the seal, simply slid it ack down. Took all of 20 minutes including time to find the screws I dropped in the grass.
say what?
howd you do that?

drrigg

Reaction score
There is just enough room inside the rear fender to slide the pipe up and, rotating it a little, get it into the trunk. Atleast there is in my car.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine got ripped when i took my car to get the exhaust done,next day i went to arlington (about 5.1/2 hours round trip)it cost about $145 round trip at 2.32 the gallon it sucked :'( but here is the part number just in case someone needs it

F4ZZ*9072*DA

ripper

Reaction score
LMAO I still havent fixed the wifes. She just doesnt fill it more than half tank. Yea I know im a lazy SOB.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
im in the same boat :)
but a crapload of sealer around it and just never fill up

LaserRedSVT96

Reaction score
good to know i wasnt the only one that had to do this. good thing i have a connection with the parts manager at the local stealership :icon_rr:

BigTang

Reaction score
i've never had one rip but i had to replace one when my helper threw it away we i had the tank out to sump it. I'll admit, it did look like trash, but i'll never tell her that.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
drrigg said:
There is just enough room inside the rear fender to slide the pipe up and, rotating it a little, get it into the trunk. Atleast there is in my car.

i just dropped the tank. it was ony two bolts or so :) lubed up the new gasket, dropped 'er in...

LaserRedSVT96

Reaction score
if its leaking gas out of the passenger side of the tank when its above 1/2 to 3/4 tank. mine spilled gas all over the place. stupid questions are easier to deal with than stupid mistakes :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online