Full Swap: 97 NPI to 03 PI

97DFG

Reaction score
Ive obtained a running 03 long block from pan to throttle body along with the harness. Ive been told i need to swap the 97 pan and timing cover to retain my accessories. I would like to swap from coil packs to COP but didn't know if changing from the 97 to 03 harness would work? Thanks in advance

Benni614

Reaction score
Ive obtained a running 03 long block from pan to throttle body along with the harness. Ive been told i need to swap the 97 pan and timing cover to retain my accessories. I would like to swap from coil packs to COP but didn't know if changing from the 97 to 03 harness would work? Thanks in advance
U can run a 03 in your 97. Just swap swap the entire harness and ecu. Its that easy build it like a newedge and drop the harness in

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

97DFG

Reaction score
U can run a 03 in your 97. Just swap swap the entire harness and ecu. Its that easy build it like a newedge and drop the harness in

I wasn't able to obtain the ecu, so didn't know if mine would hold me back in swapping the harness..?

Benni614

Reaction score
I wasn't able to obtain the ecu, so didn't know if mine would hold me back in swapping the harness..?
Yes u need the ecu tbh u can grab a ecu from ebay for like 50 bucks or something which will complete it

OP
OP

97DFG

Reaction score
Yes u need the ecu tbh u can grab a ecu from ebay for like 50 bucks or something which will complete it

Just realized that ill probably have to reprogram my keys..?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No, you don’t need the ecu. The engines use the same sensors. The pi engine will run fine in the npi car. What did the 03 engine come out of? If it came from a mustang the oil pan will work in your car. As for the timing cover, compare it to your current engine and see if the tensioners are the same. Honestly, if you get the correct belt for what the engine came out of, you don’t have to swap covers.

OP
OP

97DFG

Reaction score
No, you don’t need the ecu. The engines use the same sensors. The pi engine will run fine in the npi car. What did the 03 engine come out of? If it came from a mustang the oil pan will work in your car. As for the timing cover, compare it to your current engine and see if the tensioners are the same. Honestly, if you get the correct belt for what the engine came out of, you don’t have to swap covers.
Thanks for additional input, i thought they may but wasn't sure. An article i have copied from Engine and Performance warehouse was throwing so much at me that it was only confusing.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I get people like the cleaner look, but i never understood all that work to go to what IMO is a less reliable ignition system. I have yet to see a COP system that isnt constantly chasing and replacing misfiring coils.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PWNY

Reaction score
I get people like the cleaner look, but i never understood all that work to go to what IMO is a less reliable ignition system. I have yet to see a COP system that isnt constantly chasing and replacing misfiring coils.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
True story. I have a 97 f150 which is coil on plug and a coil would fail every 3 months. After the third time I just went ahead and replaced the remaining coils lol!
I've never touched the coil towers on my 96 mustang!

az97cobra

Reaction score
I think this is already implicitly stated but yeah if you stick with your 97 ECU then you need to return the new engine to standard plug wires and the coil packs. Then to mount the coil packs you will need the older front timing cover. Then you can reuse your alternator if you make a little bracket for the new intake manifold. At least that was my experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online