Fuse 13 under the dash keeps blowing

At1Maverick

Reaction score
So after fixing a few things on the 95 GT, I somehow developed another problem. I noticed this last night leaving work. The only thing I during the day was replaced the temp sensor, which I'm sure isn't related.

However I did take the center console when I first took the car home and clean it up and forgot to install the connectors to the lighter receptacle by the ashtray, so I thought that might have grounded out. nope, I disconnected the entire harness to the console and replaced the fuse and still blew it, a couple more times actually.

So, upon reading, I learned that the fuse protects the dash clock(barely visible w/ headlights on), radio illumination(aftermarket radio, and the lights works just fine, rear defrost switch/light(which the car didn't come with), fog-light switch(missing fog-light bulbs), trans selector and A/C light(inop now).

My question is, If my headlight switch is going bad would that cause the blown fuse? I think I've eliminated any short in the center console by disconnecting the main harness to it.

The radio has been working perfect eversince I got the car a month ago. Am I missing something? any advice?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
May get a better response posting this in the electrical/stereo section but [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] may be of some help when he sees this. I blew the same fuse a couple of weeks ago in my car and couldnt figure out what was causing it...then I pulled my radio out and found a wire that had a big nick in it and was touching metal---bingo! So it never hurts to check everything just to be sure.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the radio hrns as well. The hrns going to it might have got jostled around and might be shorting out now.

OP
OP
At1Maverick

At1Maverick

Reaction score
You guys got it. I finally had time to check out what's causing the fuse to pop, and sure enough it was the radio harness. Well, at least I think it is, I removed the unit and redid the connections, they were crimped together with those cone thing I see in household wiring, so I soldered all of em instead, problem solved, Thanks guys

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You guys got it. I finally had time to check out what's causing the fuse to pop, and sure enough it was the radio harness. Well, at least I think it is, I removed the unit and redid the connections, they were crimped together with those cone thing I see in household wiring, so I soldered all of em instead, problem solved, Thanks guys

those twist type connectors are called wire nuts. I would never recommend them in an auto.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh hell I didn't read close enough, that was installed by an electrician then. The worst installs I ever had to fix were done by electricians and mechanics funny enough. I have no doubt they were good at their day jobs but there is just enough different about the jobs that they know enough to be dangerous, and are.... As he said twist nuts are bad because after a season or two of expansion/contraction the spring inside that holds the wires together will work its way out of the plastic housing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.