gas fumes and weak brakes... vacuum reservoir?

combustor_d5

Reaction score
I've been slowly fixing small things on my buddy's 94 GT and one of the last problems I want to eliminate is an annoying raw gas odor that comes through the heater vents usually after the car is warmed up. Looking at a vacuum diagram I noticed a spliced line going to a vacuum reservoir as well as a speed control servo and "brake on/off switch... what the heck is that for? I know there must be a leak there as the brakes feel like they are losing power assist.

A previous owner also removed all the egr stuff and I think they left a vent line open hence the gas smell. It looks like all this stuff is located in the fenders is there any trick to getting to them without removing the fenders?

Car runs great btw no issues with performance.

OP
OP
C

combustor_d5

Reaction score
Where would I look for fuel leaking from the lines? Also what about the weak brakes? Please no one tell me to check pads, rotors, bleed lines etc. done all that with no improvement i'm 99% sure it's a vacuum assist problem

OP
OP
C

combustor_d5

Reaction score
Where would I look for fuel leaking from the lines? Also what about the weak brakes? Please no one tell me to check pads, rotors, bleed lines etc. done all that with no improvement i'm 99% sure it's a vacuum assist problem

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I had hell with the brakes on my sister's car.. after a week of messing with it and replacing the master cylinder and bleeding like 20 times. . Took it to my mechanic.. Turns out the hoses on the front where messed up. . How much vacuum do you guys have at idle

OP
OP
C

combustor_d5

Reaction score
I pulled off the line going to the cruise control and plugged the port with a cap; now the brakes work wayyy better. Guess I'll have to get in the fender and fix that crap. Also please elaborate on the fuel line issue i don't quite understand

RichV

Reaction score
Interesting, a vacuum leak has to be huge to affect brakes. I would probably start with the brake booster, usually if you have pedal travel but no braking unless you pump the brakes a little, it's air in the lines. If the pedal feels stiff no matter what, the booster may be the culprit.

Can you post some pics of the vac lines and tree? You can get a cheapie vac gun and test where the leak is. Often a huge leak can be a cracked vac tree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online