Gas gauge needle

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
So today I took out my instrument cluster to put on a reverse glow overlay, waste of time and money btw, and when i turn on my car again the gas needle gas past the F. I do have a full tank of gas and before it read right at the F, now its past the F. How can i get it back to the F?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
how do i pop it out without damaging it?

and im trying to install the reverse glow overlay from AM and i cant seem to get it right. Which wire is power for the 94 gt, gray, brown, and red/yellow?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
for the headlight switch

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
brown it typically the power wire for the parking lights but you need to test every electrical connection prior to tapping it. I think I read somewhere that a fork is good to take them off with but this is the main reason I have never done one. Also never liked the look.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Where the needle is when the tank is when full is not as important as when the tank is empty..

A fork works great for pulling the needle off. Just don't tell the wife your taking a fork to the garage.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'd highly suggest connecting the gauges to a bulb socket in the back of the cluster... The light will still work and the connection is really good. Saves you from having to splice into the headlight switch harness.... I have the black ones from AM but they're the same as the white.

W6F0vL9.jpg

LsNySTH.jpg

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Worst mod I ever done was mess with the dash. I am expert at taking it apart, and putting it back but doing the indiglo guages was bad decision. My needles are only 95% accurate, and it took trial and error to get it back to normal. I am thinking about sending my cluster out to get them recalibrated because it drives me nuts, been this way for about 5 years lol.

Wild97GT

Reaction score
I had those on my car before and got bored of them and the gauges that it froze. All it is, is the needle getting stuck on the overlay. The only thing you can do is try to press the gauges down around the needle with a flat head screwdriver.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I had those on my car before and got bored of them and the gauges that it froze. All it is, is the needle getting stuck on the overlay. The only thing you can do is try to press the gauges down around the needle with a flat head screwdriver.

That's not just because of the overlays. If you push the needle down too far it does that. Just pop the needle off and don't force it down. As long as there's space it's fine.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
brown it typically the power wire for the parking lights but you need to test every electrical connection prior to tapping it. I think I read somewhere that a fork is good to take them off with but this is the main reason I have never done one. Also never liked the look.

well i guess my overlay didnt work so they are sending me another one. The fork worked perfectly! i got it out and now its where it should be. The overlay doesnt require me to take off the needles, i just wanted to get the gas needle back to F.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
A fork works great for pulling the needle off. Just don't tell the wife your taking a fork to the garage.

Good thing im not married :p Barely going to be 20 still got some time for that lol

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I'd highly suggest connecting the gauges to a bulb socket in the back of the cluster... The light will still work and the connection is really good. Saves you from having to splice into the headlight switch harness.... I have the black ones from AM but they're the same as the white.

W6F0vL9.jpg

LsNySTH.jpg

If i say this before i started snipping wires it would of saved me lots of headaches -_-.. the black looks really good man!

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Worst mod I ever done was mess with the dash. I am expert at taking it apart, and putting it back but doing the indiglo guages was bad decision. My needles are only 95% accurate, and it took trial and error to get it back to normal. I am thinking about sending my cluster out to get them recalibrated because it drives me nuts, been this way for about 5 years lol.

I know how you feel haha but for the most part they look pretty accurate now so i guess i got lucky:p

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

What i did was i got a blade and just made the holes a little bigger and press them down. Also i noticed that when you put the lense back on it actually presses the overlay down more

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
If i say this before i started snipping wires it would of saved me lots of headaches -_-.. the black looks really good man!

LOL. yea the harness in my car was already hacked up and I was like wtf. Then [MENTION=17876]DeepList[/MENTION] told me he had done it so I gave it a try and it works! Although I think the ground wire is a bit loose. Every now and then when I am fiddling with the car and turn the headlights on the LEDs in the cluster turn on but the overlays dont... And then the next day theyll suddenly work again.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago. My gas needle kept getting hung up on the overlay. I got so sick of it I bought a cobra cluster because I still wanted the white face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online