gas gauge

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
since I have it running now I am fixing the little stuff and getting a working gas gauge on a car I know now get horrible mileage(but not sure how bad) is important. For some reason it has never read above 1/2 a tank, but it has gone down to almost 0 when it was almost out. I think the sender should be showing 145 ohms when full but I read 157 at the tank and 178 at the dash. I thought maybe the ground to the sender needed to be cleaned up. I could not find the factory ground location so I thought I would just cut it inside the trunk and ground it to the battery right there. I found the wire that measures 157 with the sender wire and figured that with that ground wire cut that it would not read an impedance but it still reads 157 even with the ground cut. Is there a ground for the tank by chance and a way the sender is grounding out inside possibly? It doesn't make any sense to me

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried a few different things from running a new wire to calling tech support to confirm that all the setteings were correct and still can't figure it out. Our senders have a strange 16-158 ohm range that I think might be causing problems or it might be because the stock sender grounds to the chassis and the holley wants to use a separate sensor ground. Either way I ordered a separate fuel gauge to see if that will work. Its made to go into ford so I hope it will but in case someone in the future finds this, I could not get it to work on the digital dash

95opal

Reaction score
What ohm sender does the holley sytem recommend?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What ohm sender does the holley sytem recommend?
it has an an input made for the fuel sender where you can program the min/max resistance. I think the problem is that the stock sender uses a chassis ground and holley hp wants to use a separate sensor ground.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
in case someone later on comes across this I was never able to get it to work on the digital dash. I know that in audio amplifiers the difference between a common ground and a floating ground system can cause enough problems to make it sound bad and that is the only theory I have as to why this would not work. If I could separate the ground on the sender and go to the holley sensor ground I think it would work but the negative pin on the top of the hat is simply riveted to the hat to make it a common ground so that is not as easy as it sounds. As a go around I ordered an Glow Shift GS-C715 gauge and so far it seems to be working. It has an adjustable switch on the back that you set to #2 and then hook it up with the single wire. I will have to run it almost empty to see how close it is on the low end but so far with a nearly full tank it shows nearly full.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online