Gas smell

Booboo

Reaction score
97 GT convertible. I get a gas smell when the tank is full, no smell when the tank is not full. I also get a EVAP check engine code on occasion. Any idea?

Mweiss

Reaction score
97 GT convertible. I get a gas smell when the tank is full, no smell when the tank is not full. I also get a EVAP check engine code on occasion. Any idea?
Could be the filler neck seal at the gas tank is bad

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Probably the purge solenoid would be my guess. Fuel vapors need a way to escape so there's a line at the top of the tank going all the way to the engine bay where a solenoid periodically opens up that's connected directly to manifold vacuum where the excess fuel vapors get pulled in to be combusted. In between there's also a charcoal canister that further helps to absorb the smells in between purge cycles.

chithead

Reaction score
Interesting. I've noticed a smell since changing the fuel pump in our 98. Did replace that grommet, but the stock piece had a flap inside it, that broke when I tried to swap it over to the new one. Just left that off. Never considered vapors could be escaping out now that the flap on the grommet is gone.

Had actually wondered if the charcoal canister was bad since having replaced almost every other fuel and emissions sensor, including the purge valve and purge sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.