Gas tank hard to refuel, can hear gas backup filler

dwcopple

Reaction score
What would cause that? Here's my filler hose. What is the loose bracket around the hose??? Is that the wrong type of hose?

Attachments

• 20220917_134619.jpg
    20220917_134619.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220917_134624.jpg
    20220917_134624.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 13

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure a vent line would prevent it from being filled. Isn't there a valve at the end of the hose to prevent it from leaking back if its upside down? Either way dropping the tank and checking the hose would tell. Be sure to plan to replace the filler tank gasket that goes around the hose, they tend to rip when pulling it out.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
All lines are free and not kinked. I can fill the gas for about 10 seconds and I hear the fuel rise up the filler hose and shut off the pump. I even tried barely inserting the nozzle and it does the same thing. Takes me about 10 minutes to get 5 gallons in. Freaking blows.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds to me like the valve on the end of the filler neck is stuck shut. You would have to drop the tank and remove the filler neck to confirm it.

bigred

Reaction score
How easy? Please instruct me
Follow the vent hose that goes to the evap canister, take off of canister and blow that line out with air hose. Sometimes they get plugged with spiders, etc. That fixed mine and no problem filling it now. My evap canister was behind the driver's side rear wheel in the fender well. Hope that helps!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It is on the very top of the gas tank. You would need to drop the tank and then you will see the line going to it. It just pushes in/out, again plan on replacing the tank neck filler grommet as it tends to tear when the neck is pulled out. The line then goes all the way up the pass side to the cannister as they mentioned. Now if the line has been kinked by someone maybe jacking in the wrong place, this could also cause it to need a new line or a section replaced.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

Obtain the valve and the fuel neck grommet from LMR or another vendor. It’s best to change the grommet if you’ve never done so.

This is easiest with a low fuel level. Remove the bolts from the filler neck behind the fuel door, remove the gas cap and then drop the tank. Pull the fill neck out of the tank and replace the grommet.

Remove the vent line, pop the old vent out and put the new one.

Reinstall parts into the car.

”Easy”

bigred

Reaction score
Okay I realize your canister is on the passenger side behind right front wheel fender well. You shouldn't have to drop the tank, you can tell which line goes to the tank as the other one goes to the engine. If you put some air in that line you'll hear it in the gas tank, unless it's like ttocs said and smashed somewhere in between.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Okay I realize your canister is on the passenger side behind right front wheel fender well. You shouldn't have to drop the tank, you can tell which line goes to the tank as the other one goes to the engine. If you put some air in that line you'll hear it in the gas tank, unless it's like ttocs said and smashed somewhere in between.
Right front wheel? Really?

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Why would they put it way up front on the car rather than behind the rear wheel? 2000 GT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online