Gas tank hard to refuel, can hear gas backup filler

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why would they put it way up front on the car rather than behind the rear wheel? 2000 GT
space. There is no space for the suspension, exhaust, rear end and a charcoal cannister. All the cannister does is filter out the air that comes out from the tank so it will not smell like fuel. A line is all that is needed to go between them and there is plenty of space under the fender.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
space. There is no space for the suspension, exhaust, rear end and a charcoal cannister. All the cannister does is filter out the air that comes out from the tank so it will not smell like fuel. A line is all that is needed to go between them and there is plenty of space under the fender.
So where is it on a 2000 GT?

Maximum95

Reaction score
Can confirm, 1995 is the same. Charcoal canister is in the passenger front fender. These guys pointing in the direction of the vapor valve and evap canister are on the correct path. As you fill the tank, the vapor is vented through the evap canister, so that the gasoline vapors are filtered instead of just entering the atmosphere. Vapor escapes at the top of the tank while fuel liquid enters. So you can see how the filler neck will back up with fuel if the vapor can't escape.

Had the exact same problem on my P71 a long time ago. Couldn't fill up to save my life. Evap canister on a P71 is on the bottom of the trunk. Opened it up and it was full of water. Cleaned it out and bam, able to fuel no problem.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
I plan to work on it this week. Too busy today. I'll try blowing in the disconnected line with compressed air. I'm not getting a code so not sure it is a canister issue but I could pull it and shake it to see if it somehow is waterlogged too like the above poster said his Crown Vic was.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Maybe there's a small chance the anti-siphon flap at the bottom of the fill tube is stuck. I don't see how, given the corrosive/cleaning nature of fuel. Which now that I think about it, the vapor/roll over valve at the top getting clogged with something also seems unlikely.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
I'll snake some copper tubing down the filler hole and see.

weendoggy

Reaction score
So where is it on a 2000 GT?
My guess is behind the LR tire in the well next to the tank. A big mutha' fn' box POS with tubes and wires. That's where my '02 one is, and it has a bunch of tubes that roll around the tank and "T" toward the middle front side of the tank and that line runs up the middle of the car to the RS where the fuel line comes into the engine bay.
(edited RR to LR, don't know up/down either)

Last edited:
OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
So what is the other blue plastic vent thing next to the vapor valve? Mine has one barb without a hose on it

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
This thing
VVVV

Attachments

• 20221016_170748.jpg
    20221016_170748.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221016_170758.jpg
    20221016_170758.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Changed it, didn't work. Guy at Ford said it's usually the vapor solenoid on the charcoal canister gets stuck and needs replacement. Guess I'll try that next for $58 more bucks. FML

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Ordered the vapor solenoid yesterday. Will be here tomorrow. Pulled the canister today. What a messy spot to mount it. Thing was covered in road debris. Stupid. It should be shielded somehow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online