gauge needle calibration

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I just got my new gauge overlay and it replaces the stock overlay. I need to pull the needles off, however, I don't know what to do to get them back in the correct position. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
start car and let it get to operating temp. Take pic of gages.

I wish I could lol. I'm in a million pieces right now, I did see that you can put 9v to the pins on the back of the gauges and it will put them straight up, that only works for the 99+ clusters though.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Maybe you have a friend with the same year as you (and it runs) and you can swap clusters for the overlay swap

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could always reassemble the car, get it running, take a pic of the stock cluster, then pull it out to do the overlay. It comes out pretty easy, you should be able to knock it out in an hour or two.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the stock gauges short of the speedo/tach are just idiot sticks at best. so fill up your gas tank and let the car idle to normal operating temp and then stick the needles were you want to see them at normal operating temp.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You could always reassemble the car, get it running, take a pic of the stock cluster, then pull it out to do the overlay. It comes out pretty easy, you should be able to knock it out in an hour or two.

Also a very good idea, however, I got the overlay in the mail today that I ordered 05DEC2013 and was so excited I went and pulled my cluster and started working on it before I posted this. I have pictures of where my needles were before I removed them so I'm hoping to be able to go by that. If not I will put it together and wait until the car runs again and correct them then.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
the stock gauges short of the speedo/tach are just idiot sticks at best. so fill up your gas tank and let the car idle to normal operating temp and then stick the needles were you want to see them at normal operating temp.

That's what it looks like I will be doing. I just wasn't sure if there was a way to calibrate them outside the car.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
That's what it looks like I will be doing. I just wasn't sure if there was a way to calibrate them outside the car.

what ttocs said is what i did, i did the job, made sure the engine was cold cold, got a fork popped out the needle and set it to coldest setting. the oil pressure i popped it out turned on the key and set the needle to "0", the volt was a little tricky but i remember it settting roughyl around the "r" and "m" so i set it there. i filled up my gas tank and set it to to full.the speedo and tach werent affected. but if it bothers you that they arent accurate, you can send it in to get calibrated. or get afterarket gauges for the important ones

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
If your speedo is off, youu can calibrate it somewhat using a GPS. Once you establish a set speed verified by the GPS; just push the needle into place. That's what I did and its accurate throughout according to my GPS Lol

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Anyone know why when I turn my key on my oil pressure gauge goes as far past the left of the gauge as possible? but after the cars off for awhile it sets itself to 0

lutter94

Reaction score
As for the tach, if you have access to a timing light that displays rpm, thats super easy. I did it by writing down engine speeds at various mph in different gears. Used a gps on my phone to verify ground speed. Other 4 just have to be close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online