Gauge suggestions

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have room for two more gauge.
im thinking pyrometer and oil pressure, what are your guys' suggestions for my 04 swap?

also, ive only seen an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed on a 1994 5.0L. It used a copper fitting near the oil filter. Will my install be roughly the same thing?

right now the gauges i have are phantom autometers, so i would like to keep the same style, if possible.

thanks all!
-Chris

Justang

Reaction score
My fittings were all brass...

I just did oil pressure (half sweep electrical) in my GT. In a nutshell you can pull the stock sending unit, insert a T, then put the stock and new senders into the T. You'll probably need a few extra fittings to make everything nice-nice but I did it about a month ago and no problems here.

Sorry I don't know so I have to ask what gauges do you already have? I'm sure whatever you need can be found in Phantom.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my mistake. his fittings were probably brass as well. i simply said copper because taht was the color of it when i looked at it...

i only have:
boost/vacuum
electronic fuel pressure
planning on A/F as well.

so just a t-fitting? that doesnt seem too bad.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AF, Pyro, and an Altimeter - since you're at 5000 ft!

or you should get a gauge that says "MustangChris is the Freekin MAN!"
that would be cool too.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
AF, Pyro, and an Altimeter - since you're at 5000 ft!

or you should get a gauge that says "MustangChris is the Freekin MAN!"
that would be cool too.

wanted to change my vacuum gauge to have smiley faces on it, instead of numbers... but i never grew the balls to rip it apart. lol.

as for the Altimeter, thats a great idea. I saw a corvette on the auto auction show last week that had one! apparently it always said 0... lol! the corvette was built for the cheif designer for the sting ray when he retired and we was a big air-plane fan, so they put that in there. lol.

switch96

Reaction score
My 4v block had a seperate place for an oil sending unit, right under the oil filter. It was just a plug. No T-fitting necessary.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
how about a volt meter so you can tell if you produce the required jigawatts of electricity to make the flux capacitor work when you get up to 88 mph to go back to 1985

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hahaha, well it has one of those stock :p no numbers, but it should be all i need for such a basic build, i would think

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
true true.
i would put in an oil pressure one without a doubt though.
what is a pyrometer guage for? for some reason when i hear that word i think diesel

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
oh sick. i hope mines like that. lol.

Yours has a plug in it for a mechanical oil presure gage. It is next to the stock sending unit. Unless you are running a turbo a pyrometer is not neccesary. I would go with a mechanical temp gage.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mustang Mark said:
true true.
what is a pyrometer guage for? for some reason when i hear that word i think diesel

Big trucks use a pyrometer to measure exhaust temp. They are extremely important if you pull alot of big hills. If the exhaust temp gets to hot they could burn a exhaust valve. Big trucks all use turbo's so they are needed. They use a charged air cooler to cool the air going into the intake.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Mustang Mark said:
true true.

Big trucks use a pyrometer to measure exhaust temp. They are extremely important if you pull alot of big hills. If the exhaust temp gets to hot they could burn a exhaust valve. Big trucks all use turbo's so they are needed. They use a charged air cooler to cool the air going into the intake.

ah i thought it was something like that.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic about the Pyro :) Eaton's do get hot you know!

Marvin97

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
MustangChris said:
oh sick. i hope mines like that. lol.

Yours has a plug in it for a mechanical oil presure gage. It is next to the stock sending unit. Unless you are running a turbo a pyrometer is not neccesary. I would go with a mechanical temp gage.
+1, if I had installed my temp gauge when I did my 01 swap I probably could have prevented my blown headgasket. My stock gauge wasn't working for some reason. Kinda costly mistake.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
Mustang Mark said:
how about a volt meter so you can tell if you produce the required jigawatts of electricity to make the flux capacitor work when you get up to 88 mph to go back to 1985

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

fvck! that is exactly what I was going to post! good thing I read the entire thread or I would have looked like a douche

Adam95GT

Reaction score
Oil pressure, Water temp, wideband is all you need unless your FI, fuel pressure doesent hurt either

I had an extra spot so i opted for
Autometer 3388
http://www.jegs.com/p/Auto-Meter/Auto-Meter-Digital-Pro-Shift-Systems/760208/10002/-1

For the oil pressure in the 5.0 i used several fittings not just a T...
Its in the area just under the PS pump on the 302 blocks:
IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

I used a 1/4'' male to 1/8'' female npt, 1.5'' long 1/8'' double male npt, 1/8 npt all female tee, a 1/8'' male to 1/8 female 90* npt, and finally a 1/8'' male to 1/4'' female npt for the stock sender.

If the mod motors sender location is anything like the 5.0 this will help you alot...

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
I was being sarcastic about the Pyro :) Eaton's do get hot you know!
You may have been sarcastic, but M.C. asked about them. But anyhow to get a proper exhaust temp you would need to put a sensor on the left and right bank. That would mean 2 gages that would be basically for show.
Yes they do. Anything that compresses air gets hot, but Eatons are known for heat soak over 13-14psi.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Matt and I actually have trucks that need Pyro's.
My work truck get's up to 13000 degrees, that's when you gotta let off.

any decisions Chris?
Altmeter FTW!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.