Gear breakin

bleau

Reaction score
Hello,
What is the recommended break in period for new gears?
I've been told two things.
1. 500 miles like a new car.
2. Drive the car normal for 10 to 15 minutes and let cool about 3 to 4 times.

My engine is stock.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I asked 2 very reputable mechanics in my area..

1, he said take it easy for 500 miles and you will be set forever

2, he said the end of the driveway...then your broke in :)

I tend to be cautious i took it easy for a few hundred miles.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I asked 2 very reputable mechanics in my area..

1, he said take it easy for 500 miles and you will be set forever

2, he said the end of the driveway...then your broke in :)

I tend to be cautious i took it easy for a few hundred miles.

I would go easy too for a while, you never know what could happen in that pumpkin if something was not done exactly perfect.

OP
OP
B

bleau

Reaction score
Thank you guys.
I love the thought on the end of the driveway, but I think I will go for the middle road 250 and then its play time >:D
Thanks again.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea, i would do 500 really easy...plus, then you could hear if the gears whine or if they were installed wrong. That way you can get them fixed before they wear and you have to buy new ones :eek:

St33da

Reaction score
As a mechanic my self, I would say that once they are in, there is no break in period. Once the shims are set and your pinion depth is proper, and your backlash patter looks good.... then thats it. If properly installed, then nothing should change between the 1st mile and the 100,000th. Now if you were rebuilding a differential with new clutches in it.... thats a different story all together. Then I would suggest 500 miles or so to break them in properly.

Downshift

Reaction score
St33da said:
As a mechanic my self, I would say that once they are in, there is no break in period. Once the shims are set and your pinion depth is proper, and your backlash patter looks good.... then thats it. If properly installed, then nothing should change between the 1st mile and the 100,000th. Now if you were rebuilding a differential with new clutches in it.... thats a different story all together. Then I would suggest 500 miles or so to break them in properly.

Im not really convinced its anything needs to be broke in when getting gears, more just taking it easy for a few hundred miles would most likely point out any problems its having. Better to be safe then sorry, and besides taking it easy on her for a few hundred with gas prices the way they are cant be too bad haha.

St33da

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Im not really convinced its anything needs to be broke in when getting gears, more just taking it easy for a few hundred miles would most likely point out any problems its having. Better to be safe then sorry, and besides taking it easy on her for a few hundred with gas prices the way they are cant be too bad haha.

While I understand where your getting at, any knowledgeable mechanic will know exactly how to set the gears up as good as they are from the factory. The only concern that could possibly arise would be defects in the new gears, which the mechanic should be able to see prior to installation. In the event that there is a defect that is not noticeable to the eye, within the first 10ish miles or so, it should become obvious. Note, the key word here is "should." There is still a chance that the issue wont show until awhile later. So "taking it easy" is not necessary. If there is a problem, then it WILL show up. Personally, I would rather know of the issue sooner than later to prevent damage to other components. If you are not a mechanic, or have ever put gears in a car, then I would suggest doing as much research as possible, and if need be, as much as you may not want to, pay someone else to install them. To get the pattern, use Zinc Oxide (available at most auto parts stores) and coat your ring gear with it. Then turn your pinion gear until it makes a complete pass around the ring gear. Next compare your pattern with the pics below.

Acceptable Patterns
acceptablegearpattern.jpg

Pinion is too Shallow (typically fixed by adding pinion shims, or using a different thickness)
pinionistooshallow.jpg

Pinion is too Deep (typically fixed by removing pinion shims, or using a different thickness)
pinionistoodeep.jpg

Additional Info on the Ford 8.8

Pinion Bering Preload New (Inch Pounds): 14-19
Pinion Bering Preload Used (Inch Pounds): 6-8
Backlash (.001 inch): 11-16
Ring Gear Bolt Torque (Foot Pounds): 60
Bearing Cap Torque (Foot Pounds): 60

Whistler98

Reaction score
Got mine installed. The installer put them through 1 or 2 heat cycles, Like maybe 15 miles and then let cool for like an hr in between then I did it 2 or three more times and was riping through the gears that night. 6-8,000 miles later no problems.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
When I had my gears installed in montgomery, al the guy told me to drive it like I stole it and that if I had any problems he would replace them for free. 15,000 miles later still no problems.

OP
OP
B

bleau

Reaction score
I did the gears myself with some help from a guy with exp.
I followed the guidlines and everything looked good.
I will deffiantly take it easy for a while, I'm not much of a crazy man on the roads anymore anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online