Gear installation kit needed ?

9D6snake

Reaction score
I want to put gears into my V2 Cobra. 3:73 or 4:10 which I'm still undecided. Can I just buy the gears or should I get the installation kit? How do I know if I should get the installation kit or not ? Thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would just get the kit to help prevent any future headache. I did a gear swap on my 98 and didn't get the master kit, ended up spending more to piece together all the bearings I needed. Then, I didn't replace the trac-loc clutches and ended up pulling it apart again AND buying the install kit.

My advise, do it right from the very beginning and save the headache for someone else.

OP
OP
9D6snake

9D6snake

Reaction score
Ah OK I see thanks for the advice. I drive the car 6 months out of the year and the rest it sits. For a 6 month DD what gear would you suggest ? I know the common saying is don't fear the gear but I don't want to have to much gear with the 4:10s.

Mustanger

Reaction score
3:55's or the 3:73 set are good. My 3:55's are perfect for me& make the car so much easier to drive around town..

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Love my 3.55, would've went 3.73 but they were outta stock. Get the gear kit, also grab the trak lok rebuild kit. Wouldn't make sense not to rebuild it now. Avoid double labor and time the cars down for work.

bluex

Reaction score
This thread made me curious what was in mine. code M 2.73 limited slip Google tells me :crybaby2: :(

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If youre not sure on 3:73 or 4:10 why don't you get 3.90? Seems like the logical thing do to.

Also, yes get the rebuild kit. Trac-lok is a waste of money if you're lsd isn't going out. My car has 130xxx and it works perfectly fine.

OP
OP
9D6snake

9D6snake

Reaction score
Either want to go all the way to 4:10 and or be conservative and do the 3:73. Its one extreme or the other no between. Otherwise I'm going to say to myself I wonder what the little bit more gear would have been like haha. So I should get the Install kit and track-lok ? Sorry what do you mean LSD ?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Either want to go all the way to 4:10 and or be conservative and do the 3:73. Its one extreme or the other no between. Otherwise I'm going to say to myself I wonder what the little bit more gear would have been like haha. So I should get the Install kit and track-lok ? Sorry what do you mean LSD ?

LSD mean limited slip differential.

Are you 5 speed or auto? The general rule I have been told is to go 4.10 with an auto and to go 3.73 with the 5 speed. I have 3.73 in my car and I really like them, im 5 speed also. To answer the other question, yes get the master kit and the trac-lok kit. Try to get the carbon clutches for the trac-lok. They are amazing lol.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If youre not sure on 3:73 or 4:10 why don't you get 3.90? Seems like the logical thing do to.

Also, yes get the rebuild kit. Trac-lok is a waste of money if you're lsd isn't going out. My car has 130xxx and it works perfectly fine.

When your LSD starts wearing out you'll regret not doing it at the same time.

OP
OP
9D6snake

9D6snake

Reaction score
Yes I'm a 5 speed. Is there another name for the master kit ? I went on Ford racing and they just have 3 different levels.....I'm assuming the master kit is just the most expensive one? and yeah I've heard those carbon clutches are really nice.

What else is included for rebuild a rear end ?

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I installed my gears without rebuilding the track lock however I do plan on switching to an auburn locker in the near future so I held off. Both wheels seemed to have been locking decent the last time I drove the car. Should get me through this summer. However the op should seriously consider just spending the extre 100 bucks and get the trac lock rebuilt.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yes I'm a 5 speed. Is there another name for the master kit ? I went on Ford racing and they just have 3 different levels.....I'm assuming the master kit is just the most expensive one? and yeah I've heard those carbon clutches are really nice.

What else is included for rebuild a rear end ?

Here's the full kit you'll need. This is the 3.73 kit, they also have 3.55, 4.10 etc. there's an option to add the trak lok rebuild kit on the page.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/373-gear-oil-kit-8609.html

OP
OP
9D6snake

9D6snake

Reaction score
Great I'll get right on that ! I think I'm going 4:10s, I'm not on the highway much anyway. Thanks for all the help/advice

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When your LSD starts wearing out you'll regret not doing it at the same time.

Which it won't so I'm not worried. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. Just because everyone in a thread told you to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Which it won't so I'm not worried. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. Just because everyone in a thread told you to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it.

Lol I thought the same thing till mine turned into a one tire frier. I did the rebuild because I knew it was smart doing it in one shot. End of the day its your decision.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your trac-lok was going out with only 50K miles? That blows.

chris91

Reaction score
With it being blown I'd go with 3.73's and definitely get the master kit and I'd also recommend the carbon clutches. Not like you're only pushing 225hp...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online