gears for a manual

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know its probably been covered a million times so I am sorry for asking but could not find much info. after all the stuff added I should probably upgrade my stock gears finally. What type/size do you recommend and what brand? Where is the best place to get them I would assume this is something I would want to get new and not used? What about getting the speedo to work correctly afterwards what is recommended there? Is this a DIY job for an amature like myself or should I be looking at a shop to do it?

Witzy0070

Reaction score
For your build and an auto, most people are probably going to suggest a 4.10. Which is what I will suggest. Good pick up off the line and with an auto not bad freeway cruising RPM. As for companies there's not many choices. I would say Ford Racing or Motive, and of course some good gear fluid. I would also suggest a new bearing kit. Something like this http://www.americanmuscle.com/410-gear-oil-kit-8609.html . You can do it with basic tools, a press, and gear puller. It isn't an amateur job, but there's many helpful guides and videos, even specifically for Mustangs with 8.8 differentials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olk9PS600_c. I am actually getting mine put in professionally this week for 400 dollars. As for your speedometer you can use a plastic drive gear using this guide for how-to http://www.sn95forums.com/showthrea...edometer-gear-(not-in-the-instrument-cluster) and this calculator http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Speedometer-Gear-Calculator. Or you can purchase a Speed Cal device which is usually recommended http://www.americanmuscle.com/speed-cal-install.html.

Don't fear the gear!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no idea how I put automatic up in the title other then its been 2 days now since I have slept. Its a manual and thanks for the help.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I'd go 3.73 in that car. It's a good all around gear. Definitely get frpp I've had motive ones in the past they seemed noisy maybe it was the install but I stand by frpp. Also I'd get it done professionally proper install will save you hassle and break it in right.

bluex

Reaction score
If you want to do the install yourself I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-55040/overview/

The crush sleeve is the hardest part, it takes alot of force to crush it and if you mess up and go to far you have to start over. Using the eliminator does away with that. You can do the install yourself if you have a set of calipers and a dial indicator with a mag base, both you can pick up at harbor freight pretty cheap if you dont have them. You could take the carrier and pinion to a shop to have the bearings changed out.

As far as what gear just depends on what you plan to use the car for. If its a weekend driver I'd say 3.73 at the least. I want to do gears in mine as well but its my daily so I will probably go with a 3.55 when I do it. Dont forget the trac lock rebuild kit while you're in there.

Mustanger

Reaction score
3:73 or 3:55 FRPP...in my 3:55's I am at 2250 RPM at 70mph, the White 23 tooth gear set me spot on up to 70 then only 1mph off up to 85, it got a little more off the faster I went. I rebuilt everything in the rear at the same time including the Trac Lock with Carbon Fiber. I had my Ford dealer do the install for $525 & I supplied all the parts...it came out perfect. (Not many small shops here I trust & my dealer is great! Some real Mustang mechanics in there with awesome Foxbodies)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly ttocs with the amount of work you have done to your car, I don't believe you would have any problems at all with a gear install. I did my first set when I was 19. They were frpp 3.73's and they didn't wine or rattle at all. If you know how to read and use your tools, you can do these gears. I would definitely recommend getting the ENTIRE shebang, gears, oil, bearings, clutches, everything. Make sure to get a pinion depth tool like the one offered from ratech. To answer the initial question, I think the 3.73's would fit you nicely.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how long could it take for a first timer learning?

Really wish I could have my cake and eat it too with a nice 6 speed upgrade to keep the power and save some milage but I have too many other things that I need to pay for.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If it's just going to be a cruiser the 3:55 or 3:73 will be fine. 3:55 if you do a lot of hwy driving.
The 23 tooth VSS gear is only good up to a 3:55. So with a 3:73 or 4:10 your going to need a speedcal anyway.
I'm sure you have the ability to replace the gears yourself But you'll have to buy some mics. to do it.

Kboss87

Reaction score
Since you have a blower, I would go 3.73. Do it yourself...its not very difficult. Just takes patience and access to a press.

If you were just a HCI 5.0, I would say 4.10.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
3:73 or 3:55.... 3:73 will help you get in the boost quicker. . I had 3:55 in my 95 with the vortech.. i liked it..

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
how long could it take for a first timer learning?

Really wish I could have my cake and eat it too with a nice 6 speed upgrade to keep the power and save some milage but I have too many other things that I need to pay for.

Its kind of tedious the first time you do it just because you are learning your way around everything, but the first time I did mine it took about a week putting 2-3 hrs a day into it, and that's just because I wanted everything to be perfect (as it should be). I don't know what your tool selection looks like, but you'll definitely need a caliper, dial indicator w/base, foot pound torque wrench, and an inch pound dial style torque wrench (to measure pinion preload), the a good 2/3 jaw puller, and probably a propane torch.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unfortunately the way my health works its not uncommon that 2-3 hours is either all I have the energy for or all I have time for before I get sick and have to go in. Sounds like its a shop for me.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that man. However, I am glad to see that you keep your head up about it! You do great work as it is, keep it up.

Also, it make sense for you to go to a shop for it. You don't want it eating up ALL your time. Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I would go with 3.73 gears and a plastic drive gear. I'd get the gears installed from a pro and do the plastic drive gear myself.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
373s.

Gears aren't terribly hard to do, did mine. It was quick to do rear end swap and rebuild w/gear change

dngnmn

Reaction score
For highway/daily driver I would go 3.55 or 3.73. For occasional strip use I would go 4.10 or lower. I've installed many set of gears and have all the tool for the job. You can do it with shop tools and a press, but you will need to be comfortable reading the gear pattern. don't use too much paste when checking pattern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online