Gears on 98 GT auto

wrangle23

Reaction score
Getting ready to change gears on my 98 GT automatic. Was thinking of 3.73 but I’ve seen some threads recommending 4.10 for the aod auto, thoughts? Car is not a daily driver.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What is your end game with the car. What tire size. I'd first recommend going online, look at some of the speed, rpm, gear , tire calculations. And see what your choices may give you rpm wise and speed wise. I have a 98 convertible with auto. Engine only revs to 5200ish stock. So your rpm limit needs to be taken into consideration also . I would determine your rpm at your desired speed with O/D button off . Then consider gear choice

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
thats what i will be doing here in a couple of months
i will be going from a 373 to 410 on my 98gt with auto
the 4v seems to like the 410 better

shovel

Reaction score
Really no universal correct answer. Gears don't manufacture power they just change the dynamics of when it's applied.

After 1st gear they can't exactly increase torque to the wheels (because you could always just downshift for that) but they do change when and how often you shift which will be of different benefit in different situations depending what you actually expect from the car.

On my 94 GT even if it was free & someone else was doing the work I'd keep the 3.08 gears it came with because I already like how it drives. I'm not racing I'm road tripping.

On my wife's 2002 I went to 3.55 gears from 3.27 stock, on my 96 V6 I'm putting 3.45 gears in from 2.73 stock. These are travelers/street/daily cars and going deeper would only mean shifting more often and making a little more noise on the highway.

My point is to consider what you actually want from the car - the answer as it pertains to gearing may surprise you.

Snorky

Reaction score
Use a gear calculator to find out what rpm you will be churning in your most used speed, then maKe the determination there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.