Gears, tuner, tlok, etc.

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I've been kind of planning out what I want to buy for my stang, and new gears/tlok are on the list. I always read that you should get a tuner with that combo to get the best out of everything. Only thing is that all the sct tuners i see are for 1996 and up, i have a 95'. So I guess my question is what do I need/do? I know I would have to get a new speedo gear from somewhere for the speedometer. Is that all I would need to do then? Get all of that installed and I should be good? Thanks for help.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tweecer R/T are very popular with us 5.0 94/95 guys so im not sure if it would be with the 3.8L? Im not sure if a good tuning device would be worth it for you untill you get some good solid mods. Personally I would hold off on it, you can play with timing and fuel pressure just by feel and get a few ponys out of it. Gears are deff a good bang for the buck same with underdrive pulleys.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im planning on doing the same thing theponyfactor Have you found a retailer that will sell you both at the same time (pre-assembeld)? If so please point me in thier direction. ;D

Replying to your tuner issue... from what ive gatherd the SCT tunner** for "1996+" mustangs is stated that way because the government(i think) did not require OBD-II connections to be manditory on automobiles till '96 but your stang is like mine, Ford installed OBD-II connections since at LEAST '94. Therefore ableing you to use the OBD-II SCT tuner.

Jeremy

Mustangtuning.com said:
* Increases Horsepower, Torque, Gas Mileage & Throttle Reponse
* Pre-Programmed with up to 3 Custom Calibrations specifically for your vehicle
* Retains Factory Calibration for easy restoration back to the stock calibration
* Easy installation. No tools necessary
* Easy to use push button & LED interface
* Quickly Flashes PCM via OBD-II diagnostic port

http://www.mustangtuning.com/sctxc9.html

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I'm not sure aobut pre-assembled, i'll look around for a place to buy a new differential with gears, tlok.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Pretty sure the OBD II connections in the 94/95 cars are non functional. As far as tuners, you won't need one with just gears. To correct your speedo, I'd say get a speedcal as they are more versatile and you can calibrate them for different size tires, wheels, and gears. What are your plans for the car in the future and what gears are you looking at? 3 excellent brands of diffs that I was recommended by a pro-racer are eaton, auburn, and torsen. I have the torsen with 4.10's and get EXCELLENT traction. Only spun them a little in first at the strip. Eaton and Auburn are rebuildable, so if the clutch packs go in them you can pull em out and fix them instead of having to buy a whole new diff. Pretty sure I had the tlok stock with my 3.27 gears and it sucked, I drove down main street sideways in the RAIN b/c it just wouldn't hook up, snow driving is ridiculous with it. Should have been playing the dukes of hazzard theme b/c I was sideways around ever corner. With the torsen I have to really get on it to loose traction, car is a lot safer with them and a lot better in the rain and snow.

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I guess I really wasnt going to do a LOT to my car. I was thinking 4.10s, tlok, and suspension. Other then that I really don't have any plans, Im new to all of this and I don't really know wehre to go after that. I have a CAI, fr500s, mac dual exhaust..and any other misc stuff.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
The 3.8's come with the 8.8 rear right? As far as visual mods, do you like the saleen look? I'd say get a front bumper and s281 wing, drop the car with some Eibach sportline springs, kby shocks and some camber caster plates, get some gt sway bars. Car should handle real nice with those. As far as performance, Doesn't the tbird super coupe supercharger fit if you use the tbird intake? I think it should bolt right up, not sure though.

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 3.8s have a 7.5 rear. I definetly like the eibach springs and i was going to get a package, with new shocks/struts. Then i was going to buy some MM c/c plates. after i get the gears, and teh springs. i was maybe going to get a cobra front bumper and maybe even a hood.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes 3.8's Come factory with 7.5 rear ends... and MY OBD-II connecter is functional... ill look up some info on it.

Sounds like you have a lot of good stuff waiting for your stang :thumb:

Jeremy

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm said:
EARLY OBDII APPLICATIONS

1994 vehicles equipped with the early OBD II systems include Buick Regal 3800 V6, Corvette, Lexus ES3000, Toyota Camry (1MZ-FE 3.0L V6) and T100 pickup (3RZ-FE 2.7L four), Ford Thunderbird & Cougar 4.6L V8, and Mustang 3.8L V6.

1995 vehicles with OBDII include Chevy/GMC S, T-Series pickups, Blazer and Jimmy 4.3L V6, Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique 2.0L four & 2.6L V6, Chrysler Neon, Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC (nonturbo), and Nissan Maxima and 240 SX.

Not all of these early applications are fully OBDII compliant, but do include the major diagnostic features of the current system.

by Larry Carley c2005

Go to the bottom of this page and it will tell you that 94/95 mustangs have OBDII connecters but they may not work as effectivly as 96+

Jeremy

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
JeremyAlan said:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm said:
EARLY OBDII APPLICATIONS

1994 vehicles equipped with the early OBD II systems include Buick Regal 3800 V6, Corvette, Lexus ES3000, Toyota Camry (1MZ-FE 3.0L V6) and T100 pickup (3RZ-FE 2.7L four), Ford Thunderbird & Cougar 4.6L V8, and Mustang 3.8L V6.

1995 vehicles with OBDII include Chevy/GMC S, T-Series pickups, Blazer and Jimmy 4.3L V6, Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique 2.0L four & 2.6L V6, Chrysler Neon, Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC (nonturbo), and Nissan Maxima and 240 SX.

Not all of these early applications are fully OBDII compliant, but do include the major diagnostic features of the current system.

by Larry Carley c2005

+1

Go to the bottom of this page and it will tell you that 94/95 mustangs have OBDII connecters but they may not work as effectivly as 96+

Jeremy

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
does anyone know what that means for me? if i order the xcal2 is there a chance it might not work? not work as effectively??

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I was told that the xcal2 should work fine from some other people...would i need to get a new speedo gear and a tuner? Or will the tuner take care of the speedometer
thanks

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
im not sure I know on the newer 4.6 you can edit it with a tuner...I think you MIGHT need a speedo gear.

A 23 tooth one i do believe... dont quote me on that 8)

MadStang

Reaction score
Speedracer1 said:
Does anyone know about an lsd that fits the 7.5 rear end?

holy crap you resurrected an old thread...

anywho, I ran a 7.5 Detroit TruTrac in my old v6 and never had a problem.

TheNaturalOne

Reaction score

LOL, check me out!
Hey have the 1994 base. Totally stock, damn near cherry too, but I need some tighter handling and more oomph off the stoplight. Handling? Coil overs? Sway bars? Oomph? Do they sell 3.73 for the stock v6 rear end? Or do I have to convert to the 8.8? Zombie thread, refuses to die.

95opal

Reaction score

LOL, check me out!
Hey have the 1994 base. Totally stock, damn near cherry too, but I need some tighter handling and more oomph off the stoplight. Handling? Coil overs? Sway bars? Oomph? Do they sell 3.73 for the stock v6 rear end? Or do I have to convert to the 8.8? Zombie thread, refuses to die.

These guys will have what you need for your 7.5 rear.
As for handling a good set of subframe connectors. Springs or coilover will depend on your budget and intended use.

TheNaturalOne

Reaction score
These guys will have what you need for your 7.5 rear.
As for handling a good set of subframe connectors. Springs or coilover will depend on your budget and intended use.
Ok, if I'm not mistaken I just hopped a zombie thread from 13 years ago and got a reply in 20 minutes... The S95 gods have smiled upon me!

Gears, connectors, got it. As for the suspension, I think I can swing coil overs, good ones, not from Alibaba or some sh*t. I love the looks and compliments I get in this rig. It has 16" chrome 5 spokes, factory ford, but not for a base model. I think they are transplants from an era GT at least, maybe Cobra!? So, I need to pull it down at least an inch, 1.5 would be ideal, but not just with springs. The damn thing actually handles VERY well for a mid 90's base model vehicle, a lot less body roll than I expected so I am very much looking forward to tightening things up even more. Dropped proper on the chrome wheels I think it's going to look killer. I'm budgeting 1100 for the coil overs and 400-600 for the rear and frame enhancements. Is there a "chip" I can get for this motor, or should I concentrate on other basic bolt-ons, cold air, throttle body, ect?

She's bright blue by the way. I just waxed her overnight. I've just got to figure out why she keeps down-shifting at highway speeds, "sad face". I've got some idea on how to fix that though...these forums are a gold mine. The AODE is acting up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online