getting a tune?????

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
umm this might sound stupid and noobie like ::)....but im not too farmiliar the the whole "tune" thing. When you say you need a tune so you mean like the superchips microtuner? :dunno: or so i have to go to a shop somewhere and get it done by a pro? is this something i can do myself? Do i even need a tune with my mods? should i wait to tune it until i install 70mm throttle body, CAI, and 4:10's?? i know lots os q's :help2:

ALITL8

Reaction score
here's some FAQ on the programmers and chips from SCT (http://www.sctflash.com/faqs.php)

here's the chip i have (http://www.sctflash.com/product_chip.php)

unless you know how to program one of these cars i wouldnt recommend doing it yourself. i do recommend getting a tune though, when you read the FAQ you'll understand why. i got my chip and custom tuning done at a local shop (http://www.SWTuning.com *more FAQ on this site*). i have 4 tunes in mine; a 91 octane street tune, a 91 octane race tune (i run 93 on this tune) and a 96 octane race tune (mix of 101 and 91 octane). my car hasnt ever run as good as it does now!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have few mods that are simple ones like .........gears / cold air / exhaust then a tuner like SCT or one of the flash hand held's is fine. However if you have some deep mods like heads, intake cams, headers and so forth then the DYNO tune is the BEST way to get your combo dialed in for max power and safety.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
if you have few mods that are simple ones like .........gears / cold air / exhaust then a tuner like SCT or one of the flash hand held's is fine. However if you have some deep mods like heads, intake cams, headers and so forth then the DYNO tune is the BEST way to get your combo dialed in for max power and safety.

my SCT (5 bank, 4 tune) was tuned on the dyno... just in case that wasnt understood. like i said before if you dont know how to program/tune these cars you should let a professional do it. my tuner is one of the best... check out his site and all the testimonials!!

he's also going to be building/tuning my new motor :thumb:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
Snakebit said:

my SCT (5 bank, 4 tune) was tuned on the dyno... just in case that wasnt understood. like i said before if you dont know how to program/tune these cars you should let a professional do it. my tuner is one of the best... check out his site and all the testimonials!!

he's also going to be building/tuning my new motor :thumb:

thats what I was getting at, having it tuned while the car is ON THE DYNO :) not getting a mail order tune that you have no idea what the car is running at after you flash the cpu. On the dyno = the win ;)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
whats the average price for a dyno tune?

I guess it depends on if your getting something like a chip or tuner FROM the dyno shop :dunno: When I had my 98Gt done it was 500 bucks for the dyno time/ tune/ and the Diablo chip.

On my Cobra, im taking it to MPH to have Tim Bath do a tune on it.........im not sure what they use, I need to call and find out. I do know they are the BEST place to have a modular stang tuned at.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
19mustang95 said:
whats the average price for a dyno tune?

I guess it depends on if your getting something like a chip or tuner FROM the dyno shop :dunno: When I had my 98Gt done it was 500 bucks for the dyno time/ tune/ and the Diablo chip.

On my Cobra, im taking it to MPH to have Tim Bath do a tune on it.........im not sure what they use, I need to call and find out. I do know they are the BEST place to have a modular stang tuned at.

Im planning on doing a full PI swap and aftermarket cams and im gonna get it tuned by VMP tuning

he is sponsor on many forums and he is local probably gonna hit up his dyno day in dec

ALITL8

Reaction score
about $650 for mine, that's dyno time, 3 custom written tunes and the SCT Multi-Program Eliminator Switch Chip. when i get ready to upgrade my motor it will upgrade with me... just throw in some new tunes :thumb: that and the added performance/driveability i got from the chip and tune "now" sold me on it!

one tip though, dont just pick some performance shop out of the phone book. bad tuners are a dime a dozen! check with local car guys, join a local mustang club and ask around... they'll let you know quick who the good and bad are ;)

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
one tip though, dont just pick some performance shop out of the phone book. bad tuners are a dime a dozen! check with local car guys, join a local mustang club and ask around... they'll let you know quick who the good and bad are ;)

VMP is definetely a very reputable shop...i have seen many of the cars he has tuned and he specializes in mustangs and is an official SCT dealer...actually he specializes in V6 mustangs, his wife has a 350HP vorteched 05 v6. it is :pimp:

jpajkos

Reaction score
Dyno tunes range anywhere for 400-650. Alot of the time if you bring in your own hand held tuners will shave anwhere from 100-200 off the tune. Dyno tuning is the most effective and efficent way to get the most power for your money. By dyno tuning it lets the tuner know live data that hand held can't catch. Air/fuel, gear ratios, seeing where you get the most power in your power band etc. A good tuner will take his time. It breaks down to about 80 bucks and hour on the dyno and the re-flashing or you cpu chip. Don't do it yourself if you feel you have to ask a question like this.

S

scarface

I had my tune done by Ed Clark @ Steen Racing. It was $350.00 I did however already have a Superchip instaled from the Paxton Kit.

ALITL8

Reaction score
scarface said:
I had my tune done by Ed Clark @ Steen Racing. It was $350.00 I did however already have a Superchip instaled from the Paxton Kit.

yep thats about right... how long were you on the dyno? my guy charges about $150 +/- an hour for dyno tuning.

S

scarface

Ed charges a 150 flat fee. Steen racing charges 100 per hour for the dyno time.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:

i have heard about him before, where is that at?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Steen Racing. Norfolk Virginia

Hmmm, so what is it exaclty? A speed shop and dyno facility in one? What all do they work on, just fords or anything ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.