Getting the hollow exhaust tone

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Fets said:
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
Your personal and certainly ignorant opinion, my mustang has a mac cat back for you, and my ls1 trans am has a slp loud mouth and that thing sounds nasty.( As in good) So maybe it sounds different on a mustang, but on the trans am it is just plain awesome.

Well considering this is a mustang site, I think I would be talking about mustangs :dunno:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Qeg8nAQ30M

You post a video of a 4.6 with a slp lm system, which doesn't sound THAT Much more different then the trans am which I will take a video of revving up in the next week or 2, ( except my car doesnt pop like that). Read the comments of that video that you posted, most of them said they liked it rofl. That was sorta pointless, I thought that car sounded good, as did a bunch of people who commented on it. Oh right now I remember, slp sells exhaust because they make a profit on it, and oh yeah now I remember slp sells their exhaust because people like it. Looks like im starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Huh ???

Anyways, I dont care what other people say, that car sounded like ass. So what if SLP is making a profit, last time I checked that doesnt make an exhaust sound any better.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Fets said:
Huh ???

Anyways, I dont care what other people say, that car sounded like ass. So what if SLP is making a profit, last time I checked that doesnt make an exhaust sound any better.

It means people are buying it, so that means that a fair percentage of people like it. Your just ignorant.

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
I think im just going to put in a different cam. Prob gona get the TFS stage 1 and put the offroad H-pipe back on and I have to figure out if the flows I have on the back are 3 chamber or 2. Any ideas for sure how to do that? If they are ill get 2 chamber 40's. Gona be sweeeeeet!

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
Fets said:
Huh ???

It means people are buying it, so that means that a fair percentage of people like it. Your just ignorant.

How am I ignorant?? Ok I'll be a fake and follow the crowd if it makes you happy.

Yay slp sounds the best because its the loudest of all exhaust! My fav!

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
bump..anyone know how to tell what type of flows you have?

Mr. OAM

Reaction score
It's interesting to read posts like this where people are trying to figure out how to get the old muscle car sound. The best way to do it is the way we did it back then.......that way instead of replicating the sound you are actually making THE sound.

When we got my wife's 1966 Mustang it had a stock 289 in it. I rebuilt it into a 331 stroker with bigger heads (not too big for the street), a retro-fit roller cam with high lift, and headers. Oh, I guess I should say "long tube" headers. What is commonly referred to as long tube headers now is what "headers" had always been before Ford invented what is now refferred to as "shorty" headers on the 1982 (I believe) Mustang GT. They were a marketing ploy to be able to tout "Factory Headers". Better than exhaust manifolds, yes. Same performance as regular headers, no, but they were cheaper and easier to fit in the car on a production line, and as mentioned it was good marketing.

Anyways, when her engine was a stock 289 the exhaust sounded like crap. The mufflers on the car, a relatively new exhaust, were no-name turbo mufflers, at least they look that way. I figured we would get a new exhaust for the car after I finished building the engine, but when it was done and I fired it up that thing sounded like a race car with the same cheap, crappy mufflers. The reason for the difference in sound is because of the difference in power that the engine is making and also the headers. The exhaust is seperate all the way back, but an H pipe would help a little with torque and the old cars often times came with an H pipe from the factory.

Back in the day there weren't any Flowmasters. There weren't any X pipes or "shorty" headers. What was there was power and displacement and that is what made the sound. All the Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, Roadrunners, Torino GT's, and Chargers (built ones) had a better cam, some head work, headers, and whatever mufflers a person thought would sound cool, and they all sounded great because of the power of the engine and the headers as a basic common denominator.

Her engine is not huge, but even with cheap no-name mufflers it sounds awsome!

Steve

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
Im guessing you have a nice cam in there..sounds like it on the start. im putting the TF stage1 cam in mine when I get home so hopefully thats gona make a huge difference in the sound. Keepin my fingers crossed

tommybunz

Reaction score
listen man i had the same setup and same problem. this is the best thing i got. put on the o/r h, use either flowmstr 40 series or macs and use the stock tails. now the cam you should check your rpm set it to 800 or 750. then check timing. set it to 14*. After the Ecam warms up it does go away for the most part but you can still hear something. the hollow sounds are really the 4.6's my friend had one and our cars sounded completely different and we had the same setup. Thats all i can offer. stock tails is the way to go on that note though.

good luck

OP
OP
A

armyed

Reaction score
thanks bro sounds great! We will see what difference the TF cam makes when I get home in Feb..cant wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online