Getting the most out of a stock 94 motor?

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
What I mean by this is getting the best performance by modifying the chassis only. Dropping weight, using more efficent parts, rear end gears ect. My car is a 94 GT. The previous owner put in an aftermarket clutch (spec 3?), 3.73 gears, aluminum driveshaft, smog pump delete, emissions delete (kind of) long tube headers (unknown brand), cat deletes, flowmaster mufflers, 03 to 04 cobra rims, Rear 03 to 04 cobra brakes (Weird huh), and lowering springs. As of right now the only work I have done to it is a shift fork, and clutch fork replacement. Other than that normal tune up stuff. The motor has stock heads and intake on it so I'm not getting any extra power. I thought this car was gonna be ok as far as going wise. Then it beat a 94 cobra with 3.73s and exhaust upgrades (not sure on what exhaust), and then barely got beat by a 99 that dynoed at 300 at the crank. I was kind of impressed and want to keep the motor just how it is until i can get the absolute most out of the rest of the car. That and any mods to the motor put the stock t5 at risk for explosive death. Im thinking lighter axle shafts, and 10.5 SVE cobra style rims so that they will match the front 9 inch rims to start with. I really dont want to get rid of interior parts but I can be reasoned with. I'd love to hear what you all have to say. Oh and do they make an even lighter driveshaft for this car? I realize that going to carbon fiber would be very expensive but I like saying "that motor is stock" and then pulling away from em. Thanks

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Switch to a manual seat track and rear seat delete.
Is this a track only car or street/strip?

OP
OP
T

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
street/strip. I like having it around to run around in. I have considered a rear seat delete, but im worried about droning when im crusing. is it worth it to pull the seat out and then put sound deadening down? Also Id like to keep my a/c.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Most rear seat deletes have a fabric covered plywood/MDF panels reinstalled to minimize the droning. If you want an idea just drop the 2 seat backs.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a rear seat delete with nothing in there right now (that is to say I can see into the trunk from the cabin). I do not have any bad droning. I'm also using quieter mufflers though.

And the only DS I know of that's lighter than the aluminum one is CF...though that seems like a lot of money that could be put to better things first...

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Get rid of those heavy cast wheels and get some forged drag wheels. Also, look into Aerospace brakes for the front, tubular K and A-arms, replace the bumper supports with chrome moly braces. You could also try a lightweight flywheel and maybe step the rear gear up to a 4.10-4.30.

spank 141

Reaction score
I took out all the sound deading material and reinstalled the carpet. It takes out a good chunk of weight. You can also put in roll up windows and take out the door acuators.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tubular suspension, remove everything from trunk. If you don't mind sound and vibrations you can take a lot of the counter weights off.

OP
OP
T

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
Ok then I will do a rear seat delete. The only problem with 4.10s is that first becomes damn near non existant. I mean it barely does 30 in first with the 3.73. If i bought a cobra t5 it would have a slightly different gear ratio set in it and then maybe. If I did a flywheel I would probably go ahead and throw the cobra t5 in it at that time. I was also going to do a rear wing delete. Its not a lot of weight but it helps i guess. The flywheel would also improve motor response? How bad is the Carbon driveshaft on price? Thanks for the ideas so far!

RichV

Reaction score
4:10 are way too tall for a 5.0 IMO, without HCI the power is done before 5,000. 3:73 or 3:55 are ideal.

Look at wheels, the cheap 9-10.5" wheels are very heavy. And when you have a 60+lb wheel/tire at each corner that kills acceleration.

A lot of weight can be removed, but is this car for race? Or street? Maybe both? So you gotta make some choices on how far you want to take it.

OP
OP
T

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
I want it to be comfortable for street and quick on the track. If I could break run low 14s and maybe a bit faster I would be more than happy. And i agree with the power done by 5k deal. I shift at 5k. Ive lost atleast 50 hp by then and it doesnt make sense to run until redline. Modular motors are a bit different, but for old school pushrod, 5k is all that is needed especially stock. They lost a lot of ground from the 93 configuration, as I understand it. Ok now to rims. I can keep my cobra rims for summer/pleasure. Who makes the lighter rim for a decent price? I know weld lights are the favorite, and the design is favorable. Is that all there is or is there more bang for my buck to be had? Also I have heard of tubular stuff but have no idea on prices or instalation of said tubular items. 5-oh: The cobra was a 94 with 3.73s, exhaust, and original DH. He and I have talked and I think its that I beat him on the aluminum DH and that my tires were slightly better. FYI Kumo ECSTA 275 40 R17, and the 99 broke his rear control arms??? Ill let ya know as soon as I'm done replacing them. I'm not all that good. I was spinning at launch from idle. Not much spin but enough to know that it could have been better. Plus at idle spinning kinda made me sad

OP
OP
T

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
What do I have to do to post video on this forum? I have video of the races. No body filmed the cobra race but i killed a yellow sn95 5.0 and i have the video from the 99. I also have video from where a trans am and a camaro got me. I just need the upload info. Youtube links good enough or what?

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
Take a look at Factory Stock racing. Sure they have warmed over "stock" motors but they're still running 11's on relatively factory chassis and what not.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What do I have to do to post video on this forum? I have video of the races. No body filmed the cobra race but i killed a yellow sn95 5.0 and i have the video from the 99. I also have video from where a trans am and a camaro got me. I just need the upload info. Youtube links good enough or what?

Youtube links should work fine for posting up the video.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Also on the tubular front end, install is a piece of cake but make sure to get a quality piece. DO NOT get the UPR k-member kit.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The stock 17" starfish wheels are about the lightest stock wheels you'll find. IMO put your drag wheels on those and keep you cobra wheels for daily duty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online