GMC Envoy Fog Light Swap

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
After several weeks of trial and error, waiting on parts, and so on I've finally finished. Parts list:
-Fog lights off a 02-06 GMC Envoy, $40 from ebay
-Stick on tint, $20 from www.lamin-x.com
-About a foot of 1 inch square tubing, had it laying around the house
-Strip of aluminum, 3ft long, 1 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick from Lowe's, $7
-Longer bolts and washers for mounting, $2 from Lowes
I was going to use the stock brackets, but they would not line up with the holes, so made my own. I have a Word file I can e-mail to anyone interested, it's what I used for my design, so I didn't take pics of the process. Only thing I like is taking it apart and painting it. Main reason I went with the Envoys is because I got smoked headlights, and the BOI smoked fogs fell apart before I even got them on (they replaced them, the replacements fell apart as well). I figured the clear lenses would be easy to tint and match (think I may go lighter on the tint, not quite a perfect match). The Envoys are also suppose to be brighter and use a lower wattage bulb. Even after the tint, they are brighter. I got a new camera, so the pic after the tint didn't come out, but it is much brighter. So here's the pics
Before
Mystic012.jpg

With BOI's before they fell apart
Fogs3.jpg

Lighting with the BOI lights (one side was fogged over)
CIMG6023.jpg

Brackets
IMG_0013.jpg

Envoy light output before they were tinted
Envoysbeforetint3.jpg

Envoys before tint and tubing was added. I didn't like how far they stuck out in the bumper, and was afraid it would scratch the paint (just had the bumper painted a few months back.
IMG_0025.jpg

Another of the lights before tint
Envoysbeforetint.jpg

Light output with tint (sorry, only pic that would turn out, it is brighter)
IMG_0020.jpg

Finished product
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Let me know what you all think, and again, I have the how to saved in a file from another member, PM me if any of you would like it.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ive seen them before,they look nice.

It actually fits the whole on the inserts,when the factory dont and it looks weird!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice write up, mind if I use this on our future how to and tech page? ill make reference to you of course.

also if you can send the word doc that would be great my email is: lx915l at hotmail.com

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
E-mail sent, please let me know when you receive it. If you want to use this stuff, feel free, and I'll be glad to revise it to more detail if needed.

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
I'll get it, may take me a few days, but I'll post it up when I do. I'm still getting use to them. The increased light output is well worth it though. Also, no problem with cheap lenses falling apart. I wish there was a decent set of smoked fog's that were factory replacements, but after trying BOI and reading reviews on others, I wasn't able to find another option. I did the swap because that was what I needed to finally finish the front end.

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'm gonna go back, build new brackets (same design, just use the current ones as templates) and paint them black to make it look better (although it isn't seen, it's just a pet peeve I guess).

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't checked this in a while. No real problems with the stockers other than I wanted the smoked headlights and fogs to match. I tried buying fogs, they didn't hold up, so the only option I saw fit was the Envoy swap. Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
Several reasons I chose not to do it that way. First, the lenses were hazed over. Second, the headlights are clear, or you can at least see through them. If I had tinted the stock ones, yes they may have somewhat matched, but it would have been one of those things that would bother me because I knew it wasn't done right. Third, by tinting them you'd be even further reducing their terrible output. With the Envoys, even tinted, I noticed a nice increase in lighting. And finally, the Envoy's fill the holes so much better. I did attempt to tint the stock ones using VHT Nite Shades, didn't come out well at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online