go carb or stay efi

brian95

Reaction score
I am looking at pulling out my dash to clean up some wiring and just thinking of going carb. this is a track only car.
I have already the a1000 setup with fuel cell.
things I would sell to fund carb stuff

intake, tb, injectors, mass air,powerpipe,injectors,pms,rail setup, would it be better to stay efi just trying clean things up. the only thing left in my dash cluster that is hooked up is the volt gauge.

JKady

Reaction score
EFI is faster to tune, more data logging capability if you're racing the car competitively, you're already set up for it etc... Carbs can go fast too, no doubt but there's a reason most guys are moving to EFI.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's no real benefit IMO to going carb, stay EFI. If you're just wanting to clean up the engine bay, check out 95opal's old bay for some inspiration
55e8228e.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stay with EFI. There's so much more you can do with it, and you can go faster with it.

cameron57

Reaction score
You can go just as fast if not faster with a carb. There are pros and cons of both. For a track only car like a drag car a carb is alot easier. Alot less to deal with and if you change stuff you wont have to pay for tunes constantly. What kind of track racing are you wanting to do.

cameron57

Reaction score
Agree to disagree [emoji106]
+1 no need to turn it into some flame war.
Op on another note if you do decide to go carb shoot me a pm if you have any questions. But either will work all it really comes down to is which are you more comfortable with.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm going to also vote to stay EFI.
Carbs can be finicky *****es at the track. If you want consistently stay EFI.

JKady

Reaction score
Carbs are lighter as well, and I agree with Cameron, can be equally fast. At lower power levels, they can be a more economical way to go fast as well. You can do a good carb and intake setup for about the cost of just a good EFI upper/lower manifold set. If my car was drag only, it'd be carbed, but since I commute it 75 miles a day I'm gonna keep my EFI and keep knocking down 19.5 mpg in mostly freeway stop n' go traffic.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can go just as fast if not faster with a carb. There are pros and cons of both. For a track only car like a drag car a carb is alot easier. Alot less to deal with and if you change stuff you wont have to pay for tunes constantly. What kind of track racing are you wanting to do.

You can go fast either way if you know what you're doing. A little knowledge and a Quarterhorse chip and laptop and you can be making the same tweaks from the seat as you can by pulling the bowls off and changing jets. Either way you're playing with it, it's going to take some knowledge about how everything works together and what you're doing to make the setup run right. But you are right, there are def pros/cons to each. It all really comes down to what you want at the end of the day.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I think the key points have been nailed in here. You're going to get much better consistency out of an EFI setup, much cleaner power, and overall just more reliability. EFI has come a long way in the past x number of years. Sure you can slap a carb on it and go quick on the cheap, but in the end you're going to have to make minor adjustments constantly whereas with an EFI setup, you pretty much set it up and leave it alone. I vote EFI. This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore, EFI has made leaps and bounds over carb for most current applications IMO

Addermk2

Reaction score
ill never advocate going carb. no reason to step backwards.

on a 94-95 car, its not cheap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online