Going full synthetic (I want to good/bad)

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I am running Mobil 1 10w30 right now and im gonna be do for an oil change in a few months so i want to know...if i got 5w30 will i be ok? the car has 68k on it right now...so tell me the good and bads guys....

Nate

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Might run a little bit hotter, otherwise it will be fine :)

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

I never knew the oil can make the car run hotter, meaning will i see a difference on temp guage on dash or like if i open the hood i will feel more heat?

wytstang

Reaction score
5w30 will be fine and you won't run hotter there is no reason for it.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Dalamar said:

never heard that before ???
My bad my bad.
My motor builder was telling me about running 5W vs 10.
I thought he said it could get hotter on worn motors... I asked him again. Nope.
Said it might burn some oil since it's thinner.

Sorry for the confusion.

FaStStAnG5-0

Reaction score
all i've ever used in my stang since i bought it was 10w-30 royal purple & k&n oil filters...

ok now commence with the high roller comments..but when it comes to my engine a little extra cash at oil change time has never hurt ya know! :thumb:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Snakebit said:
Dalamar said:

never heard that before ???
My bad my bad.
My motor builder was telling me about running 5W vs 10.
I thought he said it could get hotter on worn motors... I asked him again. Nope.
Said it might burn some oil since it's thinner.

Sorry for the confusion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drifts14x

Reaction score
If you want to make the switch, do a synthetic blend oil change first, this will help condition the seals for a full synthetic. Older engines tend to leak if you just dump Synthetic oil in them. Some of the Fords call for 5w-20, but the early 4.6 and late 5.0's call for 5w-30. Lighter weight oil reduces drag on the engine resulting in increased fuel efficiency and performance. Just a thought. I run Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in my 1995 5.0 GT and it works great. No leaks, no decrease in fuel efficiency, no excess heat.

killagt

Reaction score
hell i ran 15/50 mobil 1 with motorcraft filter, no complaint yet for the summer :dancing6:

Downshift

Reaction score
drifts14x said:
If you want to make the switch, do a synthetic blend oil change first, this will help condition the seals for a full synthetic. Older engines tend to leak if you just dump Synthetic oil in them. Some of the Fords call for 5w-20, but the early 4.6 and late 5.0's call for 5w-30. Lighter weight oil reduces drag on the engine resulting in increased fuel efficiency and performance. Just a thought. I run Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in my 1995 5.0 GT and it works great. No leaks, no decrease in fuel efficiency, no excess heat.

The 94-95 Mustangs take 10w30. Are you talking about later as in explorers and such?

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
i use 10-30 just a regular oil, when i used 5-30 my car ran like shit, worse gas milage and burned it faster, also it would leak and burn synthetic, im just gonna stay with 10-30 i wouldnt ever try 5-30 again

Fastfox400

Reaction score
I have always used 10w30 on everything except where the manufacturer has called for something else. On my 97 F150 i use Ford 5w20 Synthetic blend because thats what it calls for. Now the cobra i use 10w30 Royal purple With a Mobil 1 filter. Yes i agree with spending more money on oil as is it has a important job. You get what you pay for. Now on a new engine depending on how tight the clearences are i would start with 5w30 dino ooil for the breakin period an the first 500 miles, then i would switch to a 5w30 synthetic blend for the next 3k miles then switch over to full synthetic 10w30 depening on what climate you thing in.

zero_chance

Reaction score
Oil is dependant on climate. The 5w and 10w are in relation to how the oil acts in very cold weather. I live in the northeast and 5w 30 is the norm up here. Though Ford issued their oil change job aids years ago stating the 5 liter can use 5w 20. I have the hard copy at my dealership. I still run 5w 30 but Ive been running Royal Purple for some time now. Switching to a full synthetic can sometimes make seals and gaskets leak as the oil has a natural solvency that cleans up buildup and can expose hidden problems like a worn seal. Check out Royal Purples website for more info and lots of tests that prove thier claims.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.