Good Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasperGT

Reaction score
Hey SN95!
I would like to know what are some good batteries for my Convertible 95 GT (5.0 of course) Mustang? I currently have a sh***y Walmart battery that keeps giving me problems :grin:

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
The diehard gold & platinum, motorcraft, interstate, and the optima are really good batteries. I'm currently using one of the rebuilt store brand one called pro-start (pep boys), its doing pretty good so far it starts everytime.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
before anyone pops in and says the opposite - OPTIMA IS NOT WHAT IT USE TOO BE! Walmart beats all of they vendors down to the point that they hardly care what they send them as they know wallmart will let anyone return anything. I happened to be in there one time and found one of the batteries on their shelf was 3 yrs old.

As he said duralast and diehard are good common names for a standard battery. There is the option to go for a deep cycle AGM battery and they last longer, put out more power and do not suffer from memory effects from being discharged - the down side = $$$$ but that is what I use.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Napa Legend batteries are good if you don't want to spend the 300 bucks for an Optima.

The great thing about an Optima though is it has a built in reserve so if something for instance your alternator goes out you won't be stranded . My friend ran his Eclipse with a aftermarket system around for 3 days on his Yellow top Optima until he found out his alternator crapped out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup I knew someone would end up telling us their love of optima but built in reserve? - ahhh no... Optima batteries, like any battery, does not have ANY kind of reserve built in. They are a deep cycle battery which has SHOULD have all the benefits that I described above. Now again though optima got bought out years ago and the new company has not kept the quality up like they originally did. I worked for a dealer both before and after the sale of the company and its amazing how much it changed. Prior to the buy out we NEVER had a bad one but a year or two after and suddenly we had 4-5 used/bad batteries laying around the shop waiting for the rep to come exchange them. Now I know you or someone else will come on here and swear that god himself made that battery and is the only battery he uses in his own car but trust me if you are in the industry you know not to buy an optima anymore...

and I will bet $100 that you buddy can't disconnect his alternator and make it to the end of the day unless he is driving 2 miles round trip each day.

OP
OP
C

CasperGT

Reaction score
The diehard gold & platinum, motorcraft, interstate, and the optima are really good batteries. I'm currently using one of the rebuilt store brand one called pro-start (pep boys), its doing pretty good so far it starts everytime.

Napa Legend batteries are good if you don't want to spend the 300 bucks for an Optima.

The great thing about an Optima though is it has a built in reserve so if something for instance your alternator goes out you won't be stranded . My friend ran his Eclipse with a aftermarket system around for 3 days on his Yellow top Optima until he found out his alternator crapped out .

yup I knew someone would end up telling us their love of optima but built in reserve? - ahhh no... Optima batteries, like any battery, does not have ANY kind of reserve built in. They are a deep cycle battery which has SHOULD have all the benefits that I described above. Now again though optima got bought out years ago and the new company has not kept the quality up like they originally did. I worked for a dealer both before and after the sale of the company and its amazing how much it changed. Prior to the buy out we NEVER had a bad one but a year or two after and suddenly we had 4-5 used/bad batteries laying around the shop waiting for the rep to come exchange them. Now I know you or someone else will come on here and swear that god himself made that battery and is the only battery he uses in his own car but trust me if you are in the industry you know not to buy an optima anymore...

and I will bet $100 that you buddy can't disconnect his alternator and make it to the end of the day unless he is driving 2 miles round trip each day.

I might just a motorcraft. Can't go wrong with that?!

99GreenStang

Reaction score

Yes they have built in reserve .

The guys problem happened just as I described it " I was there"

Sorry but your incorrect friend

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Also to add to that most people know that anyone that works at a "dealer" is out to screw you over anyways to get you to buy "their factory suggested part" that's supposed to be significantly better and make you think any other part will not work due to it's cheaper ( better) price and cannot provide you any statistics whatsoever as to why it wouldn't perform the same if not better than the dealer part Optima batteries are still awesome and I haven't ever heard of anyone getting a bad one.

He drove the car at least 20-30 miles I would guess and had his system on and the battery supplied the life to the car , now whether the alternator was working on and off ( simultaneously ) or not will go unanswered for didn't bother checking he just replaced when it finally died .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just curious, what is your experience in electronics? Just wanting to find out if you are getting these ideas from some kind of misinformed reading or if you just made it up? Again my experience in the field was working as an audio/security installer for the better part of 15 yrs, a degree in electronic and even worked for an optima dealer so I am just trying to figure out how you know I am wrong.

did you read any of those articles you posted? The first one hit all the same good/bad points I went over with the AGM/deep cycle batteries and if you read, reserve capacity is just a measure of how long it will perform with out being charged. Saying optimas have a reserve makes it sound like a motorcycles reserve tank that they can flip and hey they can make it ot the gas station. Reserve capacity is measurement for batteries so in that case EVERY battery has a reserve capacity so optima is not special there. Some will have a higher rating then others and if you want to check out a battery with a really good reserve capacity checkout the battery I am running my system with a kinetik 1800 which is rated to supply 60 amps of power for 30 mins if I remember correctly.

Your buddies story sure is interesting especially as it keeps changing. You say it happened just as you explained it as you where there, first he drove it for 3 days, then for 30 miles so I assume you were on this 3 day 30 mile road trip? Say he was going 60 mph that means the car ran for approx. 30 mins, over that 3 day road trip which really isn't anything amazing.

now your last post about the dealer always saying his product is better just so they can sell you something more expensive and screw you is ironic since you are posting your info from a link to the (dealer)optima page :D....

And finally, well if you have never heard of anyone having a bad optima, then why would my experience working for a dealer for years have any weight over your words in this discussion? I mean my personal experience with them is having to swap the bad ones out at first for replacement optimas until they got smart and bought a better battery once the warranty was dead. But if I must give a link to show your wrong then ok.

the BBB only has 8 complaints but they were nice enough to resolve 2 of them.
http://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/Busine...atteries-in-milwaukee-wi-44258774/Complaints/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589071

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70580-Optima-Battery-Problems

now these are just stupid internet searches just like you did I am sure so take that for what its worth. In most cases someone with 15 yrs exp in the industry they were used in I think would be a more reliable source, but I know that you will not believe me for some reason. Not sure why you have such a hard-on for optimas. Again they were a great battery back in the day, and still make an ok battery but for the price and now with the quality issues that have come up I would never put one in my car, or anyones car I work on.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
RESERVE CAPACITY: Reserve capacity is the number of minutes your vehicle can run solely on battery power if your alternator should fail. Always buy a car battery with the longest reserve capacity as possible to run your vehicle in case of emergency. Hmm can you not read ? Maybe in those 15 years experience you should took a reading class . This is directly from the first link I posted which is to show what this is .

The second link from the optima site is to show it's reserve capacity . I don't post things that are irrelevant .

Since your unable to comprehend this ill show you . 3 days he drove . In those 3 days he drove a total of 30 miles . So let's say 10 miles a day . 30/3 = 10 .. 10*3 = 30 see what I did there ? Ooooooh.

As for me having a " hard -on" for Optima not nearly . I just have information I know is right and have proof behind it and just shoved it down your throat and you can't handle the truth cause your prideful 2 million years experience is in the way and can't admit your wrong . What you have is always gonna be better than anyone else's and if they had the same thing they would be something wrong with it and it's worthless .

Don't be pissed you started it and brought it upon yourself . I'm over it . You are here to argue and I could give a crap if you jump down and pick a bail of cotton my friend. Anyone with the right mind could see the info I posted and see the evidence backing it up is indeed correct if you cannot well that's a personal problem . I don't need this stress or aggregation so with that I bid you good day .

God Bless

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I use to like optima. No more. . Every battery has reserve capacity. . At first you made it sound like only optimaa had it..

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

Hockeyman48

Reaction score
It really is not a good idea to disconnect the alternator for testing battery duration (even for 100 bucks). LOL.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
It really is not a good idea to disconnect the alternator for testing battery duration (even for 100 bucks). LOL.

I agree with this ! I do however support disconnecting the battery to test the alternator . But I don't support disconnecting the alternator to test a battery's duration , all your doing is putting a strain on the system and possibly depleting how long your battery will last in the future .

God Bless!

RichV

Reaction score
The Optima red I had in my SVO got me home from the race track after my alternator crapped out. Charge light turned on, I knew it was done. Made it home the 30 or so miles, with my lights on!! Got nothing bad to say about that.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I owned optima. First one was a yellow top. Lasted about 6 years of abuse. Use to run all my audio equipment in my eclipse. 4 jl w3v2, 2 infinity 1210a amps and a infinty 4 channel amp. It was isolated just for the audio. It was great. . Later got one for the mustang lasted about two years.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
The great thing about an Optima though is it has a built in reserve so if something for instance your alternator goes out you won't be stranded . My friend ran his Eclipse with a aftermarket system around for 3 days on his Yellow top Optima until he found out his alternator crapped out

See it sound like your saying only optima has a built in reserve. Not taking sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online