Good Buy or Rip-Off Thread

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Almost every day on a certain car news website, they will post an out-of-the norm car for sale and ask his readers if the car is priced right or wrong.

I havent seen a thread like that yet on here so i have decided to start one here. Feel free to post your own finds as well. Try to keep it in the style as the one found below this.

Good buy or Rip off??

1992 Ford Thunderbird modified 99-01 4.6 4v swap

Asking Price: $15,422 in U.S. $19,000 Canadian, $13,696 in Euros

1297715549675978598.jpg

1297715549918283366.jpg

"As good as that might have been, the seller of this 1992 edition didn’t say “oh yeah,†he said “oh yeah?†and built himself what he thought was a proper Bird, one that took a lot of its DNA from a crazy snake that thought it was a horse. That of course was the Cobra Mustang from whose parts bin this Thunderbird got a lot of its wonderful toys.Let’s start with the engine, which is a hand-built - apparently by John and Larry - 4.6-litre DOHC 4V aluminum V8. While not a Coyote(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), that’s still an engine that was good for over 300 horsepower in its day(:rolleyes:). Today, it’s a clean crate install in this Bird, and that includes the mill’s wiring harness, and exhausts you could stick your arm up."
"Behind the romper stomper V8 sits a Tremec T45 and that sends the ponies back to a 3.73 LSD rearend by way of an aluminum driveshaft. Keeping all that in check are four-wheel disc brakes from a 2002 Mustang Cobra, with Baer-brand drilled rotors. Those are handily wrapped in five-spoke SVT Cobra alloy wheels. The suspension has seen significant refreshment, and according to the ad the whole thing comes with extensive documentation of the work done.
The interior of the car shows little wear and tear for its 238,000 kilometers, and features aftermarket gauges to keep track of what’s what. The body too looks to be in fine shape and a little more butch than stock owing to the high-center hood. Cobra badges on each front fender add to the car’s overall air of quiet badassitry."

Article URL: http://jalopnik.com/for-19-000ca-this-1992-ford-thunderbird-sc-shouts-sna-1711232870

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay 19k for a 90s t-bird. I like them but they have very little value. The swaps and mods don't justify the large price hike

Cool car though.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
^Right. Cool car. Just a little too high on the price.

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
no way in hell would I pay that....Pretty clean for a T-bird. You can find those here all the time in decent shape for a few grand.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This thread has potential with all the crap that gets posted for sale online :)

Now that Tbird is sweet but you can buy a MarkVIII and have a similar setup for 3-4k.

I may drop 5-6 on the bird if it was immaculate and I wanted it as a daily.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone catch the 2002 Cobra reference?

What Country is this from I didn't click the link?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rip Off - for most people. There might be *a* person out there that will pay that price for an old T-bird, new engine not withstanding. The rest of the world will look at that as a highly modified really old car, and have no inclination to spend that kind of money. To be fair, it's a cool car, and it looks like it was done well. But that isn't enough to justify the price tag. If there was something rare about the car (other than "look what good shape it's in!") then maybe.

As it stands, Rip Off. (Think of it this way - one of you guys restores a 94 Mustang, puts all kinds of new stuff in it, does a great job, and then tries to sell it for $16K. Think it would sell? ;) )

Witzy0070

Reaction score
If you're going to put that much effort in to that swap why not at least make the car fast? Otherwise I don't see the point of this build.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Anyone catch the 2002 Cobra reference?

What Country is this from I didn't click the link?

Yup! The seller posted his location. He is in Canada, just over the river from Vancouver

Here is his original listing http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1992-Thunderbird-SC-Cobra_25008207

no way in hell would I pay that....Pretty clean for a T-bird. You can find those here all the time in decent shape for a few grand.

Yeah definitely, i have heard mustangs go for more in Canada but not sure about T-birds

Rip Off - for most people. There might be *a* person out there that will pay that price for an old T-bird, new engine not withstanding. The rest of the world will look at that as a highly modified really old car, and have no inclination to spend that kind of money. To be fair, it's a cool car, and it looks like it was done well. But that isn't enough to justify the price tag. If there was something rare about the car (other than "look what good shape it's in!") then maybe.

As it stands, Rip Off. (Think of it this way - one of you guys restores a 94 Mustang, puts all kinds of new stuff in it, does a great job, and then tries to sell it for $16K. Think it would sell? ;) )

Hahaha agree! You "aint-never" seeing that back! I wonder how much the guy has in the car? Is he trying to make money or break-even? As vegas said you can get those cars pretty cheap here in the us and this particular tbirds body has about 150k on it.
If you're going to put that much effort in to that swap why not at least make the car fast? Otherwise I don't see the point of this build.

Lol seriously, atleast put on an eaton.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a goddamn thunderbird. Any price for that car is a rip-off.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Good Buy or rip off?

1985 Ford Mustang SVO Comp Package

$9,000 Us, $11,065 Canadian, 8,003 Euro.

ijnaxu3sqiibk7insgps.jpg

"While Ford may have brought back a turbo and intercooled four to its Mustang corral, SVO shows how it was originally done. The seller is willing to trade for a bike, but is his alternative price likely to cause a stampede?

You know that the Mustang SVO is a special car, it says so right in the name - Special Vehicles Operations. When it was first introduced back in the fall of 1983, the SVO took Mustang performance on a different path from the recently reborn V8 GT, one that wasn’t the typical American torquemada pony car but instead one that was more civilized and could acquit itself in the corners as well as on the straights. Ford viewed the SVO’s competition not as the Camaros and Firebirds of the world, but Porsche’s 944 and BMW’s 3-series."

ldfabbsjiml3xmwujqxt.jpg

"This 1985 Mustang SVO not only looks to be a survivor, but also has the Competition Prep package, a de-contenting option that lowered niceties but also weight. That results in the windows being manually cranked, the locks losing their power function, the hatch not being illuminated when open, and - most noticeably perhaps - there being no A/C. These cars also came with the radio-delete, but it looks as though someone has at some point re-leted the sounds on this one."

tkiwf6re7jsux3uaevae.jpg

"What else do you do get here? Well, under hood there’s the turbocharged and air-to-air intercooled SOHC Pinto four, an engine that was the staple of Ford’s four-cylinder brigade for most of the ‘70s and ‘80s. In ’85 the SVO edition pumped out 175-bhp and 210 lb-ft of torque. There’s a rocker on the console that lets you switch between regular and premium fuel, but if you want all those horses, feed it the good stuff.The tranny is a “World Class” T-5 topped with an SVO-exclusive Hurst shift mechanism. Out back is a 7.5-inch 3.73 rear end. The SVO’s handling was improved over the stock Mustang and even the GT with the use of revised front end geometry and forged lower control arms from the Continental along with adjustable Koni dampers."

a4kcpsah7nr7puijmkoc.jpg

"This one, in black over grey, is claimed in its ad to have gone even further than the factory. It has new rotors all around, frame strengtheners on the towers, an ECU chip for moar powah, and a 6-point street bar in case you decide you want to see what the car looks like upside down. Visually, it looks pretty great, and in fact is claimed to have taken a trophy twice at the Fords at Carlisle show. The back has the dual-plane spoiler, which some people hate, but I in fact love owing to its buffet-serving capabilities. This one also has a Supra-like shade at the top of the hatch, which is not stock. Window awnings and the high polish on the wheels are also non-factory additions."

frk3pk9xythzxlddnbkv.jpg

"Up front, this being an ’85, it has a pair of sealed beams set so deep in the nose that the car looks like that guy in The Birds who had his eyes pecked out. The next year the SVO gained flush composite lights which I think were shared with the Tempo, but the law had to catch up with the SVO. Another hole in the front is the NACA duct that feeds the hungry, hungry hippo of an intercooler, and looks about as bad-ass as you could want.On to the inside and everything looks to be just as tidy, the sport seats appearing intact and only the creepy steering wheel cover/grime magnet detracting from the overall look. Speaking of looking, the hood vent-mounted gauges are an interesting touch and probably would make you feel like WALL-E was staring at you whenever you drove the car. Weird.
As this is a Competition Prep car, it’s one of just a very few built - the ad claims 1 of 20. There are going to be a whole lot more modern Mustangs built with the Ecoboost four, but there aren’t going to be any more SVO ‘Stangs.
This one seems to be an intriguing example, both for its original features, as well as its modifications. The question of course is whether or not it’s worth its $9,000 asking price. Were ignoring the whole trade for a crotch rocket aspect as we don’t deal in bikes.
What do you think about this SVO for that kind of dough? Is that a price that should see this one-owner car become a 2-owner? Or, is that just too much to pony up?
You decide!"

URL: http://jalopnik.com/would-you-go-9-000-for-this-comp-prep-1985-ford-mustan-1695815361

mzgt4jpjczefzka2z3tm.jpg

Justang

Reaction score
I mean, it's a better deal than the T-Bird...

Some people go nuts for SVOs but they don't do much for me. Also, didn't see the mileage mentioned so that could make or break it.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I mean, it's a better deal than the T-Bird...

Some people go nuts for SVOs but they don't do much for me. Also, didn't see the mileage mentioned so that could make or break it.

Def better then the t-bird.

Did not see a mileage, most of the time when they dont list the mileage it is high lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 85 Mustang SVO is a cool car, but not $9K cool. Even if it is the "Competition Package" or whatever. The problem is that anyone with a 85 SVO could have a "Competition Package" by removing stuff. Was it factory? No, but pretty much no one cares. In fact, this is a detractor. Let's be honest, I doubt someone would pay that kind of money for this car and use it at a track (sort of the point of the Competition Package). People these days are just too used to the conveniences of power windows and locks, it will be a tough sell for manual stuff. Only the racers would prefer the manual stuff and they probably aren't going to race that car. Also, 175hp, while respectable in it's day, is quite anemic by today's standards, again making it a tough sell. The only way one can really get away with so little power on a "performance" car is if it has cool factor (like an AE86, for example). The car, while cool, just doesn't have enough "cool" or "wow" or "history" to justify the price. If that car had been raced, or was the 1st prototype of that year, or was used by Ford as a traveling show car or something, then *maybe* one could ask that price. Maybe. As it stands, Rip-Off.

Btw, cool thread. I like seeing this kind of stuff :)

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Okay, so todays post is one i have found on my own quickly. I decided id "hit close to home today" and choose an sn95. No need for long explanations on this one.

1998 Cobra Plasti-dipped 03-04 terminator swap.

Asking Price: $12,000 obo US $14,610 obo Canadian 10,529 obo Euros

00h0h_jb2CpKxUxZ2_600x450.jpg

I'm 90% sure that is enhanced with photo shop ^

The cars first impressions seem nice but my first question is i wonder what makes him "want-out".

00l0l_hYofidpvbqu_600x450.jpg

Dip shows more on this back shot. ^

01616_4mtBwGthENn_600x450.jpg

The buyer says the paint was originally Laser-red as i'm sure many of you have already noticed. Here is the ad

Selling a 1998 mustang cobra with a full 03 cobra swap. Asking obo 12k
Posi race port blower
2.76 billetflow upper and 100mm ilder
Billet 4lb lower pulley
Sct 4bank chip with tune
Painted valve covers
60lb injectors
03 cobra radiator
LFP heat exchanger
Zone 5 FDPM
Dual Ford GT pumps
T56 swap
spec clutch
Steeda triax
4.10s
Subframe connectors
Also has courbeau seats
Car is currently plast dip under laser red paint that is faded.

01313_6xWenHkHulO_600x450.jpg

Its still currently for sale and was posted 6 days ago in texas

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5070238336.html

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen that car on FB for sale. The hard part is done with the engine and trans swap but not sure if I would go over 8-9k knowing it needs paint.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I've seen that car on FB for sale. The hard part is done with the engine and trans swap but not sure if I would go over 8-9k knowing it needs paint.

Def. If only he painted the car when the motor was out. Would have saved a crap-load of time. He said "or best offer" hes not far off

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rip-Off (I sound like a broken record :( ).

$12K is 2003 Cobra money. This car is NOT a 2003 Cobra. It's a 98 Cobra with some 03 Cobra bits swapped in. (A 98 Cobra should run about $4 to $5K). That's not to say this car isn't decent - it may be. The issue with swaps really comes down to the person that did the work - do you trust his/her ability? How long has the swap been in there? Just finished? Several years ago so we know all the gremlins have been worked out? No mileage is listed with the car, either. It's probably a fun car to drive, but also probably has it's little issues. I would say around ~$7K might be a fair price for this car, assuming it was in good condition. The plastidip kind of sucks, as you can't see the quality of paint underneath it. I know the lister said faded - but like what? Just faded? Clear coat coming? Gone? Scratches, orange peel? Peeling off the plastidip could be a nasty surprise...or not a big deal. But who knows. That will affect people's willingness to spend that kind of money on this car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010