OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
94 Sn-95GT said:
WarMachine762 said:
94 Sn-95GT said:
i_love_my_stang said:
the pistons i have will run a 10.37 compression ratio with a 58cc combustion chamber, and i bet if i get a cam from ed curtis that should bump up the compression a bit more should'nt it?

What sized compressed head gasket? how far is the piston in or out of the hole? how far down is the top ring land?

And finally how does a cam effect the compression ratio?

It doesn't affect static compression. It affects cylinder pressures, a cam with lots of overlap is gonna bleed off cylinder pressure, so you run more compression with larger cams to make up for it.

exactly but he's talking about static compression and asking if a cam can help bump that. The answer is no. Cam controls cranking and running compression.

i got confused between the two lol, what sort of ignition system should i run i have a msd 6A and a blaster coil i think i'll prob just drop in one of the ready to run msd buillit distributers, also with a 331 what water pump should i use?

WarMachine762

Reaction score
94 Sn-95GT said:
WarMachine762 said:
94 Sn-95GT said:
i_love_my_stang said:
the pistons i have will run a 10.37 compression ratio with a 58cc combustion chamber, and i bet if i get a cam from ed curtis that should bump up the compression a bit more should'nt it?

What sized compressed head gasket? how far is the piston in or out of the hole? how far down is the top ring land?

And finally how does a cam effect the compression ratio?

It doesn't affect static compression. It affects cylinder pressures, a cam with lots of overlap is gonna bleed off cylinder pressure, so you run more compression with larger cams to make up for it.

exactly but he's talking about static compression and asking if a cam can help bump that. The answer is no. Cam controls cranking and running compression.

I was just trying to educate the man a little more.

brad94GT

Reaction score
just get the cheap but good parts and if u can only get around 350 to the flywheel throw a little shot of nitrous in there.

OP
OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
i dont really want to have to run any power adders, nitrous can lead to band things happening, prob not good on a high comp engine either is it?

94 Sn-95GT

Reaction score
brad94GT said:
just get the cheap but good parts and if u can only get around 350 to the flywheel throw a little shot of nitrous in there.

No such thing as cheap but good.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Reliable power costs $$$$ thats a very important lesson anyone should learn before modding their Mustang. You can always go the cheep route but you will end up with nothing but cheep parts and poor performance.

OP
OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
im not looking for cheap lol, im spending the money to get the block machine and checked over, im gonna do it right the first time i dont want to rip off the heads a year down the road cuz im not happy with it

1994Cobra

Reaction score
See my sig for my combo and numbers. I will attempt to post my dyno graph. On the street, you want a bunch of low end torque and high average HP. I have 330 lb. ft. of torque at 2800rpms and carry a super flat torque curve all the way up. I'm real happy with the power of my combo even though many have told me my rwhp numbers are a bit low.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
LAFENATU said:
It is going to be easier to hit your 400HP goal with a 347. You didn't say whether 400 was RWHP or at the crank.

I don't know if you have emissions there but I would look at AFR 185s or the new 190's depending on when they are released. Shoot for at least 300in/225ex flow

I wouldn't hold my breathe on the AFR 190's. Unless i misunderstood my engine builder there was a problem with obtaining the pattent for the 190's so the project was ditched.

OP
OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
1994Cobra said:
See my sig for my combo and numbers. I will attempt to post my dyno graph. On the street, you want a bunch of low end torque and high average HP. I have 330 lb. ft. of torque at 2800rpms and carry a super flat torque curve all the way up. I'm real happy with the power of my combo even though many have told me my rwhp numbers are a bit low.

nice numbers, will a 331 be much different then a 347? what intake elbow did you use with the holley intake?

LAFENATU

Reaction score
BOS-94-003..

Jason@AFR said it was a matter of them just not being happy with the final design. They are doing a whole new casting and prob won't be available until next year.

I_Love...I would do a Fox conversion if that is an option. If not do something close enough to a 75mm or whatever TB you choose. I would do a 75mm TB though.

essasin

Reaction score
There is a local guy who has made over 400rwhp on a 331 on 93 octane. I believe he has at least 5k in machine work alone. Combo consists of heavily ported Vic Jrs with the works, custom sheetmetal manifold, and heavily ported systemax lower. He spins it up to 8k and it's not very streetable.

Then there is that yellow 95 GT that makes 466 rwhp on a 347 with 91 octane and selling his combo for 6500 and from the parts list it looks like it's just a small fraction of the cost. Here it is

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2009 01:57 PM Profile for Yellow94GT Ford pictures for Yellow94GT Author's Homepage Email Yellow94GT Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote First of all, the 548 HP is calculated from the 466 RWHP this motor has made on two different chassi dynos. The most recent of which was about 4 months and 1 trip to the track ago.

This motor was in my 1994 GT. The best pass from this setup was a 10.69 @ 127.23 MPH. This is through a 5 speed and with a 3300 lb. race weight. This setup has been together for 4+ years and has less than 100 passes and around 3000 miles.

Again, this setup runs on 91 octane and in any state other then California could be drivable daily.

Here is a list of what's in the motor and of course, I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Production 5.0L roller block, .030 over (new when motor was built)
Eagle cast steel crankshaft
Eagle SIR connecting rods
CP custom pistons 11.1:1 with current setup
Custom metric low tension oil ring package
Clevite 77 bearings
ARP head and main studs
Blueprinted Standard volume/standard pressure oil pump
ARP oil pump driveshaft
Milodon deep pan with windage screen and braided stainless tip stick setup
Billet steel main girdle
Romac Balancer
Cometic MLS head gaskets
Victor Jr. cylinder heads with lots of custom port work and upgraded valves
Comp cams 917 valve springs with titanium ratainers
Victor 5.0 intake manifold again with costom port work
Accufab 80mm Race throttle body with race egr delete plate
HiTech custom camshaft
Rollmaster Billet timing set
Sherman Racing modified hydro lifters
Custom 3/8 pushrods
Comp. Cams HiTech stainless rockers, 1.73 ratio
ARP 7/16 rocker studs
Comp. Cams rocker girdles
Costom fabricated valve covers with 3 breathers, (clear 94/95 alt. location)
Custom Moroso oil baffles

If I where you, I would consider doing a stroked 351w to 408. You'll make gobs of power and A LOT cheaper.

OP
OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
how hard is it to convert to a fox throttle body? i still need to keep the egr cuz of emissions

LAFENATU

Reaction score
It's not hard at all....there is a sticky thread at the top.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
On a fox setup the EGR has a spacer between the manifold and TB.

You don't have to...it was just a suggestion that is all. Keep the 94/95 style...your not hurting anything by keeping it that way.

OP
OP
I

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
i think im gonna get all my stuff from ed curtis and get everything port matched, plus getting the afr heads decks so i can raise my compression evenmore

Addermk2

Reaction score
you will have better luck communicating with Jay Allen at camshaft innovations...

I live 20 minutes from ed curtis and STILL cant get in touch with him

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online