Good idea or Bad idea

Goldmember

Reaction score
When I have to work on the GT, I'm not entirely comfortable with a jack and stands on a hard dirt driveway. Obvious reasons.

Next up on the list is the clutch cable and hardware (that was another post). I had an idea. Was thinking of driving the front up on Rhino ramps, then jacking up the rear, and sliding another pair of ramps under the rear tires. Kind of like a poor man's lift.

My thinking is much wider surface area of ramp = much safer. Sucks when I have to wait for the ground to dry out; I can't do much right after it rains, or when the snow pack is still melting.

The ramps in question are 6-ton ramps, so definitely overkill for a 3300 lb car.
Has anyone done this?

(Yes I do realize anything involving involving taking tires off means jack and stands)
(No I don't have other options for working surface)

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I work on the front end of my car and removing the tires isn't required I always just drive my car onto my ramps.
I've never had any issues or any fear or them breaking. Seems pretty safe to me.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
A nice piece of 3/4 plywood would also help stabilize the feet of the ramps or jackstands.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Throw a 45 pound plate behind each rear tire and you'll be fine (if your leaving the rear on the ground)

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Motorcycle guys know about soft ground/asphalt. I always carried a hard plastic pig in my bag just incase but this is the same with jack stands. Keep a good 2x6 or 3/4" ply and youll be fine

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You must need a setup of wooden boards and such, because that car is slammed.

I built some a couple mouths ago but I will have to come up with something new very soon as the front end is going to be even lower in the coming months.

DSCF1861_zpsf4b09740.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. BTW, what are you running for suspension (front and rear)?

Thanks
Michael Plummer

Thank you Michael.

Here is a rundown of the suspension:
front:rear:
- Strange coilover kit
- Strange 10-way adjustable struts
- QA1 10" 300lbs springs
- J&M caster camber plates
- SVE lowering springs
- Rear isos removed
- Tokico HP shocks