Good reason NOT to drive skinnies on the street

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score

Luckily my brand new wheel got absolutely no damage and no body damage at all. Just need to get a new tire and I'll be set.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I'm not seeing why its relevant to not driving on skinnies.

That can happen to ANY tire.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not seeing why its relevant to not driving on skinnies.

That can happen to ANY tire.

Have you ever run skinnies on a car?

Obviously it can happen to any tire. But there must be a reason this is the second time it has happened to me on skinny tires and never has it happened to any of my 3 other cars which are wider diameter tires, or any of my families or friends regular size tires...

The weight up front I'm sure has something to do with the load it puts on the tire

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I don't see the issue here either that can happen to any tire belts can separate numerous variables

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
you guys dont think the weight up front and the lack of tire diameter can contribute to this happening more often on skinnies?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Were they the same brand of tire? properly inflated? how did you drive with them? What kind of tire are they? Are they rated for what you are using them as?

I see lots of people driving with skinnies, not long distance or daily driven. They only thing I've heard and seen with the skinnies is poor handling. I don't think I've heard of tires blowing up for just being skinnies.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
They were Kumho Powerstar 758. Both had about 2,000 miles on them as you can see the tread in the pics. Was driving about 65mph on highway when it blew out, both were inflated about 5psi less than max psi so around 38-40psi.

I get that just because they are skinnies doesnt make them blow out lol. I just think that the weight up front and that much drastic less tire width isn't a coincidence. Like I said, this is the second time this has happened. Never had any issues with random tire belt issues on any other car ive owned.

joekd

Reaction score
What size are those? I ran 205 kuhmo's when I had my centerlines on the car

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I've ran through 2 sets of Nexen SB-802 skinnies without an issue, and I know of a ton of people that daily drive on the Nexens with no issue. I'd try to get them. They look great too.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've ran through 2 sets of Nexen SB-802 skinnies without an issue, and I know of a ton of people that daily drive on the Nexens with no issue. I'd try to get them. They look great too.

Do you know if they make them in 165/80/15? I really liked the fitment on that size. I'll look into them thanks man

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Do you know if they make them in 165/80/15? I really liked the fitment on that size. I'll look into them thanks man

Yep that's what size I have on my car right now. I think they're $55 a piece, I paid $40 each for my first set a year ago. Here's a pic of how they look just for the hell of it. Drove to Mustang Week and back 4 hours each way non-stop without issues.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Have you ever run skinnies on a car?

Obviously it can happen to any tire. But there must be a reason this is the second time it has happened to me on skinny tires and never has it happened to any of my 3 other cars which are wider diameter tires, or any of my families or friends regular size tires...

The weight up front I'm sure has something to do with the load it puts on the tire

Lmfao... You haven't a clue who I am... Do you?

Just an FYI, your tires should EASILY handle the weight of the front of your car. A full weight Cobra is 3365, and let's assume a 200lb driver. Even a 60/40 weight distribution puts that at about 2k one up front. They should still be inside their capacity. Unless you jacked on your brakes and hit a pothole.

4a8utuna.jpg

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Lmfao... You haven't a clue who I am... Do you?

Just an FYI, your tires should EASILY handle the weight of the front of your car. A full weight Cobra is 3365, and let's assume a 200lb driver. Even a 60/40 weight distribution puts that at about 2k one up front. They should still be inside their capacity. Unless you jacked on your brakes and hit a pothole.

4a8utuna.jpg

Whats it matter who you are lol? I was asking if you have ever run skinnies before?
I just find it coincidental that it has happened on two sets of skinnies of mine, and never on any other car that i do own or have owned. And honestly I baby the cars I have and have had with skinnies for obvious reasons when driving on the road.
And no I didnt jam my brakes on and hit a pothole or else that would seem pretty obvious as to why that happened to the tire lol.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yep that's what size I have on my car right now. I think they're $55 a piece, I paid $40 each for my first set a year ago. Here's a pic of how they look just for the hell of it. Drove to Mustang Week and back 4 hours each way non-stop without issues.

That looks really good man. That tread design is great looking. There are only a few I actually like and thats for sure one of them. I'm not too big of a fan of the Mickey front runners

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Never driven skinnies myself but I have heard from almost anyone that has that they do handle differently. I have no doubt that they can easily handle the weight of the car static but depending on how you drive on them the stresses that they are exposed too I would have to think could make a huge difference to how they hold up. I mean if you are on the breaks hard and turning for example the belts would be stressed/pulled apart a lot easier than a show car never driven hard nor seen a pot hole or was on a drag strip stopping/starting in fairly straight lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online