good springs for drag racing but not a huge tradeoff for a DD?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by GT3FC, Jul 2, 2014.

1. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

I want to get some new springs for my 02 GT vert....I want to go lower, but I also do race the 1/4 mile. That being said what suggestions do y'all have for some good springs that will give me some good preformance on the strip but will still give me a halfway decent ride driving every day all while going as low as I can? or is that a trade off that simply doesnt work? i'v got a good line on some eibach sportline springs but I don't know enough about suspension to make the decision. If i got the sportlines is there any way I could make them work with my application?

2. Musturd

Musturd Legend

Coilovers is the way to go when it comes to drag racing and being street friendly . I run 10 way adjustable struts up front with 175lb front springs and it's fine on the Street

3. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

it might sound pretty dumb but how do I adjust them? also what exactly are the different adjustments doing for you? is it changing the spring rate? ride height?

4. Musturd

Musturd Legend

They have a knob on the bottom for adjusting the rebound and you can adjust the ride height to have the car slammed for street duties and bring it up for the track in minutes . It's how I had to do it for the stance I like on the street . My cars now actually about 2" higher in the front

5. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

damn that sounds nice which ones do you have? also you said what you had in the front but what about the back?

6. slow90coupe

slow90coupe Well-Known Member

Yeah a Strange shock/strut combo and 10-175 springs up front is the way to go. Rides great.

7. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

with those springs up front would I be able to lower the front as well as the back for a nice low look on the streets? sorry I'm pretty new to suspension. I'm trying to rap my head around all the different variables that come into play. I might just be over thinking it haha

and also what about the rear springs?

8. slow90coupe

slow90coupe Well-Known Member

Yeah a 10-175 will allow you to literally put your car on the ground. My sig pic was with my coilovers not even adjusted halfway down. I'd keep stock springs in the rear and not go coilovers.

9. Musturd

Musturd Legend

Take his advice we both run Coilovers in the rear the ride quality isn't as nice and the mods needed to go as low as we sit it's more of a headache

10. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

alright cool thanks y'all youv been a big help....would you recommend a specific kit or set? and if you dont mind could you please explain the reasoning behind that kit....I would really like to understand everything and how it helps rather than just bolt some stuff on and have it work without knowing why its a good idea for my application

11. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

Running adjustable shocks/struts on all four corners will allow you to run a lower spring rate and maintain decent dd capabilities. When driving on the street, tighten the shocks up, so its not bouncy. When at the strip, loosen the fronts up to allow the front to rise easily. If the car spins, start loosening the rear shocks up to absorb some of the shock off the line. Running the coilovers in the front will allow you to have a nice looking ride height for the street, but when it comes track time, you can raise the front height to help weight transfer to the rear tires. Ever wondered why the old gassers sat higher in the front than they did in the rear. There are two ways to have an adjustable ride height in the rear. The first is with coilovers. This approach also offers more ride hieght adjustabilty. The second method, is to use weight jacker lower control arms. This allows the vehicle to be lowered 1 inch using stock springs, and raising it 2 inches higher than stock ride height. If you use a different spring that lowers the car also, this will drop it even further and allow you enough adjustment to still return it to stock ride hieght. As for the front, coilovers and adjustable struts are the way to go.

12. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

awesome! do you have a particular brand that you think I should look at over another brand?

13. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

For weight jacking lower control arms, Id stick with MM or J&M. I personally have the J&M, which were a little less expensive, but the quality of them are great. They even have a zerk fitting to grease the adjustable spring perch, and mounts for a rear sway bar. Nice welds and they are beefy as hell. For shocks, I run single adjustable 12 way QA1's in the rear. I also have the eibach drag springs in the rear. As for the front coilover setup, I dont feel comfortable recomending any specific brand. There are too many different kinds of coilover setups out there. Some struts have the coil spring perch built into the strut body, and some use sleeves that slip over the strut body and use the bottom strut mounts to hold it in place. The later of the kits, can be used on stock style struts.