Goodyear EFI Fuel Lines, How I did it

Ryno8705

Reaction score
I have had a few people ask me about how I used the Goodyear EFI fuel line on my 94 GT. I decided it may be a topic more people would like to know is an option for their car so I made a small write up with the pics of my setup.

The following worked for me and should work for every other 94/95 5.0 Mustang owner, but I do not take responsibility for any thing going wrong with anyone's car if they choose to go this route and something goes wrong.

I used 1/4" Goodyear EFI fuel line (with the Viton blue lining) with all 4 factory fittings. All I did was cut the nylon off of the 2 metal fuel line fittings on the rail and on the plastic fittings on the hard line from the tank. I do still run the factory fuel rails.

1/4 is a snug fit over all the fittings and I needed to heat the ends of the lines with a blow dryer to slide the lines on; I did not lube the lines because I did not want lube stuck between the fitting and hose for the long run. I just massaged them on then used EFI hose clamps.

HOWEVER, I replaced two EFI clamps with regular clamps and I think I will use regular hose clamps on the other two also since the EFI clamps fit loose. The 1/4" fits so snug I don't think much clamping force is needed, but I didn't like how the EFI clamps bottomed out before I wanted them to on the rail fittings.

I purchased 8 feet total and didn't need all of it. I ran the fuel lines in the same path as the factory lines and only ended up using ~6 feet total. I didn't measure what I had left over so I'm not completely sure. I recommend you measure the length of your fuel lines with string and add a foot to it to be sure you don't end up short. I also recommend buying the line in one length, dont cut it in two at the store. In total I spent ~$30.

I had purchased 5/16" line for the supply side (since the hard line is 5/16"), but 5/16" didn't fit snug on the fittings. After a few measurements, the 1/4" line isn't the bottle neck in the whole scheme of things so I went 1/4" on both the supply and return.

I did not replace the O-rings on the fittings for the hard lines and nothing leaks to date. No smell of fuel and no leaks fuel leaks of any sort. In hindsight I probably should have replaced the O-rings. I may get around to it some time soon just to cover that base.

Google "Good Year Fuel Injection Hose" you can read all about it. It seems like good stuff.

I tired to cover as many questions I thought may pop up, but I'm sure I forgot something so please ask if you have any questions.

0206090906b.jpg

0206090905.jpg

0206090906c.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ryno8705

Reaction score
I have 2900 miles on the lines since I replaced them over the winter. I have zero problems/concerns to report.

tommybunz

Reaction score
i did the same thing but i have earls steel braid hose w/ factory connectors but im gonna go from the tank to the motor next time

OP
OP
R

Ryno8705

Reaction score
I did it because I was already in the process of doing a lot of motor work and the 94/95 fuel lines are known to break or have problems. It's only a nylon hose heat shrunk on to the barbs. The rubber hose around around the nylon is only a heat shield, not a pressure hose.

I could have went stainless braided, but too many people have problems with the gasoline smell penetrating the hose. Plus, stainless lines are expensive and not stronger than the GoodYear EFI hose I used; one plus with braided line is they are abrasion resistant, but that isn't a problem with my setup.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
im about to upgrade my fuel system and this seems to be a good upgrade.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Ryno8705 said:
I did it because I was already in the process of doing a lot of motor work and the 94/95 fuel lines are known to break or have problems.

Huh. Never heard of that before.

Good job.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Yanno - my black car (daily driver) has had a strong gas smell emanating from the engine bay for the past couple of months. I'm just too lazy to check it. Perhaps I should take a peek under there...

...although I was kind of hoping the car would just burn down.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
This thread FTW. Will be replacing my underhood lines this weekend. Was always wondering why the passenger side of my engine bay smelled like fuel. Ends are tight as can be. Nice writeup and thanks!

sscobra

Reaction score
This is a good tip. However, in most cases the smell of gas coming from the engine bay (specifically the passenger side) is from the charcoal canister vent tube. If you look directly below the air filter housing (underside of the frame rail) you will see this tube. This problem is also more common right after fill ups and in hot weather. What happens is the charcoal canister gets satuated with fuel and then vents the fumes to the atmosphere. Over filling the fuel tank also increases the chances of this and shortens the life of the canister. In most cases it is time for a new charcoal canister. This can be bought for around $50 or less at most auto parts stores. I replaced the one on my cobra and rerouted the vent tube to the rear of the car. Also, you will get a "gas" smell when the A/C is turned on. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online