"GoPro Hero"

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Go Pro Hero (2014).

I guess I haven't been up to date because yesterday I just found out that GoPro finally released an entry level camera! They released the GoPro Hero I believe around the same time as the 4.
After look at some review videos I decided to go buy one since I've wanted a GoPro but not at the price...

The price of this camera is $150 CAN or I think $130 US.
I think that is about 1/3 of the price of the silver 4.

I took a super quick video and played around with the gopro editor.
I believe I shot this with the 720p Superview (wide view?) I also used the skeleton backing, I think its better for sound?

The beginning clip sucks, my garage has very poor lighting. I thought it did very well for the poor lighting and shaky hand. The second clip was suction cupped to the focus. I could have been way closer. It was also very windy outside and I think it did a great job of filtering that out!

[video=youtube;nLgDfiatReA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgDfiatReA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

1.2000rpm
2. 3000rpm
3. 2000rpm

I'll do a driving video in the focus eventually.

So my review so far:

I think this is a fantastic product especially for the price. If you just need an decent action cam-cord I would strongly recommend this.
The GoPro hero has some great features. http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html

I like how its very simple. The camera doesnt remove from the case like the other gopros. Everything is very conveniently accessible on the back. The battery life is much better than the higher end models, but it can't be replaced. Another negative is if the lens in scratched you're screwed since the camera is built into the case. I'm hoping an aftermarket company will sell a lens protector.

Honestly from the review video's I watched, there isn't a huge difference in quality to the average eye. I think I'd rather buy 3 of these before I buy a silver 4.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the GoPro Hero 3 Black and I used it to take a couple of videos with good results. However, the only way I found it to be remotely usable was with the rear LCD screen attachment so I could actually see what the hell I was recording. The quality of the videos I captured were excellent, but for the price these things cost, I wasn't that impressed. (I promptly sold it a few months later.) I can't say anything about the newer ones, but I just can't justify spending $400+ on a camera when I can get similar results for about half the price from a competitor brand WITHOUT buying additional accessories to make it usable for me.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
love my gopros, also love my gopro stock! The hero 3 didn't have wifi built in like the hero4 does and that makes lining up shots a lot easier with any smart phone. Not sure why the one you have will not fit in a hard case and that protects your lens and is replaceable. Yes there are cheaper units out there but I know from experience gopro's service if you need it is really fast. I had a problem with mine so I sent an email to their tech support and I shit you not my phone rang 3 minutes later and I felt stupid when he asked if I had updated it lately, and then walked me through it to fix it.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why the one you have will not fit in a hard case and that protects your lens and is replaceable..
The camera itself is built into the front of the case. You have to basically destroy it to get it out.

yeah wifi would be nice, but I don't find it that hard to line up shots. I'll get use to it and for most things I don't need it to line up perfect.
I'll mostly be using it for driving videos, time elapse, some activities like kayaking.
I want to play around with some rigs too. Like to do car show vids.

I'm really happy with the results for the money I paid.
Really like the go pro service too. The video editing is nice and simple.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a Hero2 and I've had more problems with it than I care to admit, seems like something is always ****ing up with it. I added the wifi bacpac cause like you guys said without it lining up the shot is just a guessing game, which is ****in lame. I got mine as a gift but I have to say I probably would never spend the money to buy a new one because they are so expesnive. Maybe this entry level model would be the way to go, even though there area lot of other options out there now a days if you can do without the brand recognition GoPro has now.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They don't make a hard case to go around the entire camera and the lense? Those are replaceable.

If your having issues the best advice I can give is to make sure its updated, and if not feel free to contact them.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
They don't make a hard case to go around the entire camera and the lense? Those are replaceable.

If your having issues the best advice I can give is to make sure its updated, and if not feel free to contact them.

did that a hundred times, they couldn't fix it.

Also Orange you have one amazing sounding V6 my friend.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I too sold my Hero 3 Black edition. I used it for about 6 months over summer 2013 and captured some cool footage but overall the thing had too many bugs. The wifi wouldn't work half the time, the camera wouldn't always charge when plugged in, my computer would slow down and even freeze when downloading files. It just became too much of a hassle.

I now use my DSLR to capture footage and it's worlds better than my old GoPro. The GoPro also tended to capture minimal audio, especially when mounted on a car. All I would hear in some of the videos was the sound of the GoPro rattling a bit in its case.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

It looks the same as other go pro. But the camera is build to the case. You can only remove the back, which has the SD card and USB. I'll post a picture if that still doesn't make sense.

So far, everything I've read is these have ZERO bugs. The 4s have huge issues. I love it because its so simple. Again I think its a great value. I couldn't even think about a $400 version that is hardly different. Plus, buy cheap because it will be out of date shortly.

I shot a elapsy while in my dads truck. We'll see if it worked, window might have been too dirty. Not sure if elapsy works in a moving vehicle either.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a hero2 and now have 2 hero 3's. The 2 had some issues with freezing up but the 3's have been solid.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Time lapse out of a dirty window.

[video=youtube;nsWsX00e3WA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWsX00e3WA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] this is the hero.

The red box is a single piece and does not come apart.

pDbAtJvl.jpg

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that time lapse is sick.

Thanks! I had a really cool part that I accidentally deleted :( goes through coulees and you can see the world's longest train bridge.

Maybe I retake it tomorrow in the nasty storm that is suppose to hit.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Came across my first issue... hoping this update will help. Haven't seen anyone else having this problem though.

My first time lapse I was missing a chunk. Thought i did something wrong since I told it to pause. Didn't think much of it.
The second time, I think it said it had 1200 pictures. Only have 200 of them on my computer. wtf.

Both times I used the cable instead of removing the card. I also told the camera to delete once uploaded. So I can't even retry.

Contacted gopro to see if the update will solve my issues or if there is another solution.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I looked more into it. Seems the best thing to do is upload directly from the card and not through the cable.
Guess that makes sense since its more direct. Still don't understand why I'd have issues through the cable.

I'll try it out and see if it fixes anything.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the cards can be a bit touchy and I had one get stuck in the adaptor and end up ruined by trying to get it out. When I had the tech support guy on the phone he said to do the cable.

RichV

Reaction score
The $130 entry level Hero has me intrigued as well. I have a original GoPro SD, and although relatively easy to use, the video quality is worse than a cell phone.

I grabbed a lot of literature at the GoPro booth that I need to go through because the new generation is so new that there is some conflicting info on them. The WiFi is something you want IMO for remote start of the camera if it's mounted outside the car or not in reach. And if you trash a $130 camera it's easier to replace than a $4-500 version.

There were quite a few GoPro competitors at SEMA as well, grabbed up their lit as well. I think I also saw a WASP action cam in the JEGS catalogs.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a reply from go pro yesterday.
UHi Richard,

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear that your time-lapse didn't go as it should. Please do some more testing shoots to see if you can replicate the issue. I would suggest to make sure you are formatting the card with the camera. If it reoccurs, I would suggest trying a different SD card and do more testing.

They went on with instructions for time lapse.
What does formatting the card mean?

I'll try removing the card for uploading or at least not delete the files until I have them all.

[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] I think this camera would be good for you. It doesn't have wifi, but has a longer battery life. The only negative is of you stratch the lens. I looked at competition too. Nothing comes close espcially for the price.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Go into the menu settings on the camera and there should be an option to format the card. Be sure to take anything off of it you want as it will delete everything

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online