GOT 176K ON ENGINE, WHAT'S MY OPTIONS?

sho89mtx

Reaction score
My car runs pretty good after putting in a new air filter, new plugs and coils, but an american high hp v8 having 176k on it is a ticking timebomb to me, it's eventually gonna fail and don't see many gt's with 200k runnining. So what are my options?
Should i
1) look for a used engine replacement like my own with lower miles?
2)find a used cobra engine to swap with with lower miles
3)look for a rebuilt engine
4)look into how much it would cost to rebuild my engine?

Help me out guys please

thanks,
scott

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Save up, drive it until it blows. This is kind of an impossible typical forum question.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Save up, drive it until it blows. This is kind of an impossible typical forum question.

HEY, you have a cobra, the motor all us GT's drool over, so hush =)

how much would I spend to get it rebuilt and once an engine is rebuilt how long does it take and how long will they last after the rebuild? I want to add a supercharger eventually, but not gonna add that to my 176k engine

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Drive it till it blows then consider options at which point I'd suggest you buy an engine from a wrecker with lower miles for a few hundred dollars.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
176k on a stock engine is no miles at all. Keep on driving it man. My wife has a 99 f250 with the 5.4 and she has 294K miles on it and drives it every day. It doesn't burn oil or anything. I rebuilt the engine out of my grandfather-in-law's truck the had around 260k and it still had good crosshatching on the cylinder walls. The only reason I pulled it was because of a leaking head gasket

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The 4.6 2V was the universal fleet Ford engine for quite some time. My coworker has a Grand marquis with 298k and it runs very strong. Think of the countless Crown Vic taxis, P71's, etc. With proper maintenance, they'll out live the vehicles they're in.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like everyone said, 176k is nowhere close to a ticking timebomb. When it does decide to go, just pick up another from a junkyard and beef it up before you throw it in. Also, I would refrain from calling it an "american high hp v8". They don't even make 200 to the wheel.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Keep running it and fix it as she goes... I rode in a crown vic taxi with the 4.6 that had 390k miles lol. These motors seem to go for a while. My last work truck with the 5.4 had 250k+ and is still part of our fleet, everything else on the truck has broken or been replaced, but the motor runs like a top

heffe2001

Reaction score
I've got about the same on my motor which I'm (still) in the process of putting back together. I'm just going to run it until it either dies, or I happen across a much lower mileage 4.6 (2v or 4v, not sure yet really), then swap it out. Our cars are almost identical, silver GT convertible, just a different year (2000).

Witzy0070

Reaction score
If you really want a 4V just run a large shot of nitrous on your current car. Will be fast, blow up, then you can spray your next engine.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
I've got about the same on my motor which I'm (still) in the process of putting back together. I'm just going to run it until it either dies, or I happen across a much lower mileage 4.6 (2v or 4v, not sure yet really), then swap it out. Our cars are almost identical, silver GT convertible, just a different year (2000).
u got a website with pics of your car, I'd like to see it

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
If you really want a 4V just run a large shot of nitrous on your current car. Will be fast, blow up, then you can spray your next engine.

hmm, I dont' know if your trying to be funny with your responses are just being a silly goose? I dont' like nitrous, much rather supercharge or turbocharge the car and don't tink blowing up an engine intentionally to buy another engine is a smart idea unless your rich and have tons of money to blow like maybe u are

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
this might be a stupid question, but if I eventually get another motor, whether it be the same gt engine, a cobra engine etc, will my factory traction control system still work with any engine I chose?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes, traction control is within the computer. Any tuner can turn this off indefinitely.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has an 99 f150 with 490k on it. All original. Just maintained very well.

Body is fallig apart but that's another story!!!! Lol

My 5.0 had over 200k of hard driven miles and the bottom end still looked like new when I tore it down.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.