GOT 176K ON ENGINE, WHAT'S MY OPTIONS?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No traction control is going to improve drivability on ice in a mustang.

Maybe this is the one you leave in the drive and bum a ride from the guy with AWD

heffe2001

Reaction score
I have a thread here in the 2v section here with my teardown (and partial rebuild) results. I don't have many pictures of the car put together yet. As soon as I get my under-hood stuff squared away, I'm going to start on the outside and interior work I want to do, hopefully have it ready for paint in mid Sept.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I drove my mustang on ice once. It did really well until I tried to play around, I ended up in the ditch and NOBODY else was on the road that morning. Needless to say that was an exciting adventure. Once I got it back up on the street and straightened out, everything went fine. As long as I drove like a responsible adult, there were no problems with not having traction control.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
right now my car isn't perfect, when I get it where I want it, i'd probably buy a junker to drive in the ice

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Why don't you like nitrous? Run nitrous and a FI system. Seems to me your commitment to speed isn't there yet. You need to get a bit more crazy about it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I drove my mustang on ice once. It did really well until I tried to play around, I ended up in the ditch and NOBODY else was on the road that morning. Needless to say that was an exciting adventure. Once I got it back up on the street and straightened out, everything went fine. As long as I drove like a responsible adult, there were no problems with not having traction control.
You aint right!

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Witzy0070 Is just crazy, don't mind him lol

J9L1m5F_zpsr8cyrlf7.jpg

Gotta go fast.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Why don't you like nitrous? Run nitrous and a FI system. Seems to me your commitment to speed isn't there yet. You need to get a bit more crazy about it.
IT'S LIKE STEROIDS. IT ISN'T NATURAL AND U EVENTUALLY END UP KILLING YOURSELF OR SOMETHING ELSE INSIDE

Jgehret

Reaction score
Actually, nitrous is rather safe and reliable when used properly. It comes down to engine condition, tune, amount of spray, and fuel delivery. Plus not being a douche nozzle and spraying it all the time. The 306 in my drag car survived 3 years of weekly nitrous hits and is still going strong in my wife's street strip car right now.

Just food for thought....

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Actually, nitrous is rather safe and reliable when used properly. It comes down to engine condition, tune, amount of spray, and fuel delivery. Plus not being a douche nozzle and spraying it all the time. The 306 in my drag car survived 3 years of weekly nitrous hits and is still going strong in my wife's street strip car right now.

Just food for thought....
and I know nothing about Nitrous, so i'd be the moron who wrecks my engine =)

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
135k. My buddy's 02 GT has over 150k on it and had a V2 on it for 100k miles and now has a turbo pushing 10lbs... If properly tuned they will last forever.
I still have 30-76k more than that already

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Even then, you really don't have any thing to worry about. I did a cams, intake, gears, 5 speed swap, and ran the heck out of my car and that was all after 170k. I drove it every day. 75 mile trip 1 way for work. And I had taken it to Texas a few times. I beat the heck out of it too.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Even then, you really don't have any thing to worry about. I did a cams, intake, gears, 5 speed swap, and ran the heck out of my car and that was all after 170k. I drove it every day. 75 mile trip 1 way for work. And I had taken it to Texas a few times. I beat the heck out of it too.
what kind of cams did u get and what type of gears? Eventually doing both of those. I'm leaning towards 3.73 gear with my 5 speed, but it's a daily driver and do 90% of my driving to work on the turnpike going 70mph, so don't want my flowmaster droning because it's geared weird. What do you suggest?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
what kind of cams did u get and what type of gears? Eventually doing both of those. I'm leaning towards 3.73 gear with my 5 speed, but it's a daily driver and do 90% of my driving to work on the turnpike going 70mph, so don't want my flowmaster droning because it's geared weird. What do you suggest?

I did 3.73's and the cams were MHS "stage 2". With the 5speed at 80 I was turning about 26-2700 rpm. ALL of my driving is interstate.

heffe2001

Reaction score
One thing to consider, the maintenance that's been done (or not done) before you got the car. If you suspect the motor wasn't taken very good care of, in my opinion I wouldn't do it. My 2000 has 178k on it (or around there anyway), and the timing chains and guides were absolutely SHOT. Since I don't know the maintenance of my car prior to me getting it (but all indications now tell me that it was abused and not cared for properly), I don't plan on doing much to this motor by way of upgrades. I'll find a nice low mileage motor when the time comes. Car goes plenty fast for me close to stock...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online