Got a freakin tick... Highly doubt it's my exhaust but who knows...

Discussion in '94-04 - V6 Specific' started by Rippin6Gears, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Rippin6Gears

Rippin6Gears New Member

So picked up this 01 v6 with a cracked pass side exhaust manifold, got some coated bbk headers installed on it and sure enough the exhaust leak ticking didn't go away... So not really sure if I have a valve problem or something as easy a exhaust leak somewhere... Any idea guys?
    Start up
    [video=youtube_share;kNf8zDe3igM]http://youtu.be/kNf8zDe3igM[/video]

Rev
    [video=youtube_share;SweIMqz0CqE]http://youtu.be/SweIMqz0CqE[/video]

2. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

I just did the same thing.. bought a 02. With what sounded like a leak. Went to go change the manifold. Turns out the #1 spark plug had previously stripped and Some one jb welded on there. . I'm getting heads worked on today. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

3. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

As he said, check the plugs. Also, before you installed the headers, did you check them with a straight edge? Even brand new headers sometimes are not straight, and will tick. They need to be machined here and there, it sucks.

4. Rippin6Gears

Rippin6Gears New Member

Got the bbks used off eBay for dirty cheap since no one else bidded on them. Only had 1000 or so miles on them, might have to pull them and recheck with flat edge. Used new felpro oem style gaskets.

5. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

[​IMG] that was my tick. ..
    You could also try the copper gaskets they seal a lot better

6. Rippin6Gears

Rippin6Gears New Member

Gezzzz that's just nasty. I installed new ngk v powers and all my old plugs were good looking. I can pull everything, recheck and reseal just be sure. Wonder if I could seafoam the intake manifold and get a smoke show to see any exhaust leaks.

7. Rippin6Gears

Rippin6Gears New Member

Well I can see a decent gap on the pass side headers but it's almost like the gap is in between the exhaust ports where the gasket is thin. I rev and hold higher up in the rpms the ticking does go away. I would think exhaust leak would continue to make the ticking. Right or Wrong?

8. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

Get a small hose use it like a stethoscope around the flange see if you can hear the leak. . Use a screw driver on the Valve cover to see if you hear the tick

9. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

you can also get a couple pieces of Styrofoam circles. cut them to the dimensions of your rear pipes. plug one pipe, and in the other cut a hole large enough for your shop vac hose to go through. either suck or blow through the vacuum into the exhaust and start listening for leaks. if you keep the vac far away it will help. this way it doesn't all heat up on you, but the leak should be obvious if its exhaust related.