Got a Real Challenge for you guys...weird noise

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright everyone, got a tough problem here for those of you that like challenging riddles. Others, feel free to consider this a test of your Mustang knowledge - should you prove to be correct in your assessment of the problem, you will forever have my gratitude. :)

The Noise
The noise is like a binding, groaning metal-on-metal sound. The best way I can describe it is like this: imagine you are watching a movie; in this movie is a submarine or ship; there's a bulkhead door, someone opens the latch or turns the wheel, then pushes open the door. The sound of the door opening is usually a groan, metal-on-metal kind of sound. That's what this sound is like, except where the door is usually a long "grrroooooaaaaaann", this is repetitive "groaan groooaan". The sound doesn't stop when it starts, but it is not constant in pitch and tone, think of it going around like a wheel. So that's the noise.

When the Noise Happens
The noise happens whenever I turn left or right. It used to happen ONLY when I turned right, at a relatively sharp angle, and at a relatively high speed (say 30 mph or so). Now, it happens almost anytime I turn, though if I go slow enough it will NOT happen. Also, it is now happening when I turn left, though turning to the right is much worse. It does NOT happen when I go straight. I am almost positive that the noise is coming from the real wheels - when I turn right, it sounds like the noise is coming from the left wheel. I am not 100% positive though.

What's Been Done to the Car That Might Cause the Noise
The car has a Torsen T2 LSD, new axles (with new seals), upgraded to Cobra brakes in the rear, aluminum driveeshaft, rear coilovers, panhard bar, and MM LCAs. The noise happened after the install of the brakes, LSD, axles and drive shaft. It continued to happen once the coilovers, panhard bar, and new pads/rotors were installed, but worse.

Any ideas fellas? I'll be happy to answer any questions you guys might have...

Edit: as people suggest things, I will update this post to keep all the info in one post, rather than having to look through multiple posts for the current status.

Edit: wheel bearing was suggested. This may be it, but it jogged another detail loose from my mind: when the noise happens, I can sometimes feel the rear get a little squirrely, almost like one of the rear wheels is not turning or maybe locking up, or something is causing the LSD to transfer torque all weird...

Caboose302

Reaction score
Sounds like a diff issue if it's definitely coming from the rear. My thought would be the suspension upgrades would stiffen it up so there's not as much play and putting more force on the diff.

Sent from mah Obamafone

BlackStallion

Reaction score
What type of differential is the Torsen T2? clutch pack, worm gear, or spring?

I'd say its probably the diff moaning and groaning when you turn corners. They do that. Because its trying to keep both axles locked in at the same speed, and when you turn corners it forces the diff to slip. Some will groan, some will whine, and some will pop and click (Detroit Locker) when turning.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a diff issue if it's definitely coming from the rear. My thought would be the suspension upgrades would stiffen it up so there's not as much play and putting more force on the diff.

Possible. The Torsen should be able to handle it though - a version of the Torsen, T2R is used in the FR500 racing cars. Due to this, I would think the Torsen would be able my paltry suspension.

What type of differential is the Torsen T2? clutch pack, worm gear, or spring?

I'd say its probably the diff moaning and groaning when you turn corners. They do that. Because its trying to keep both axles locked in at the same speed, and when you turn corners it forces the diff to slip. Some will groan, some will whine, and some will pop and click (Detroit Locker) when turning.

It's essentially a worm gear. My version is the T2, just the gears and no clutch pack (the T2R is identical except it uses a clutch pack for pre-loading the diff). It may be just groaning as part of normal use, but it also feels like the noise affects the rotation of the rear wheels. Since the diff is used in racing, anything that upsets the rear can't possibly be good. If it was just noise, I would live with it. But it feels like binding too...

Thanks for the replies guys!

96gt4.6

Reaction score
my guess would be the lsd, wheel bearings wouldn't matter if turning or not they would always make noise (in my opinion)

if not doing it when going over bumps and only when turning i would say the lsd would be the only thing in the rear to cause that i would call the manufacture of your lsd and ask if that noise is normal for their lsd

Addermk2

Reaction score
Welcome to the Ford world... you need balljoints.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

Caboose302

Reaction score
my guess would be the lsd, wheel bearings wouldn't matter if turning or not they would always make noise (in my opinion)

if not doing it when going over bumps and only when turning i would say the lsd would be the only thing in the rear to cause that i would call the manufacture of your lsd and ask if that noise is normal for their lsd

Wheel bearings make noise when you're turning because they load on that side. That's how you can tell if they start going bad. Turning left will put more load on the right side and vice versa. When they stay making noise all the time is when they're really bad. FWD GM cars are really bad for it.
I think I passed up the part when he said it was from the rear so that was my first reaction.

Sent from mah Obamafone

96gt4.6

Reaction score
Wheel bearings make noise when you're turning because they load on that side. That's how you can tell if they start going bad. Turning left will put more load on the right side and vice versa. When they stay making noise all the time is when they're really bad. FWD GM cars are really bad for it.
I think I passed up the part when he said it was from the rear so that was my first reaction.

Sent from mah Obamafone

that makes sense, i didn't really think of it that way. he also says it seems like the sounds is on the opposite side of the direction he is turning so that would go right with what your saying

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online