Got My 3.73's In Today

TripleBlack

Reaction score
I got my gears in today but there is a whine when i left off the gas, i know whines are not good but not sure if this is something that will go away scince there is not not even a mile on the new gears, let me know what i should expect and then i will go from there....is there a specific break in period??

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Whine typically won't go away. They weren't set up correctly. I had my 3.73s done about a month ago, and they were totally silent from the get-go.

What brand gears are you using?

M

musclemustang94

The brand matters too. I have heard motive is crap, and Ford racing is awsome but they whine. Thats about all i know, i have ford racing ones in my car and they do the same thing. They are getting set up again though, i doubt they will fail but you should get it fixed if you want stock longevity.

ripper

Reaction score
There is a way to break them in. You need to heat em then cool them thats all i can remember. Ive got frp and they dont whine.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
musclemustang94 said:
The brand matters too. I have heard motive is crap, and Ford racing is awsome but they whine. Thats about all i know, i have ford racing ones in my car and they do the same thing. They are getting set up again though, i doubt they will fail but you should get it fixed if you want stock longevity.

A friend of mine and I had a discussion about this topic. He's installed more than 100 sets of gears on people's cars over the last ten years or so and says that FRPP is the only way to go. Further, he says they are the absolute LEAST likely to make any noise in his experience.

He did my FRPP 3.73s and they are quiet as a mouse.

Paul.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I run motive gears in my car and have had them installed in 3 other friend's cars. All reccomended and installed by my tuner. No noise, no problems. GREAT PRICE on the gears themselves as well.

As for break in.

50 miles of easy driving....let it cool

50 more miles.....let it cool down.

BEAT ON IT!

As for your noise, did you pick up the car and do a damn hole-shot outta the shop parking lot? We they new or used gears? If they have already been installed, alot of times, once they've gottem a pattern worn into them, they're set....

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
they are ford racing gears that were new, i didn't hole shot but i eased out of the hole and got on it a bit after i was moving but that was it, and i think that i am leaking fluid i can smell the fluid like 4 days later and there is a spot that looks like oil in my gravel driveway....if it leaking should i drive it to the shop or have them come get it?

Downshift

Reaction score
Get under your car realy quick and take a peak, its either leaking from the where the driveshaft goes in or on the back seal where the cover is. And I have heard that FRPP gears arnt supposed to whine at all. I have a friend with 3.73s that are FRPP that he did himself and they dont whine at all. I would take it back to the shop and throw a fit until they were perfect. Goodluck man. How much did you pay to have them done by the way?

M

musclemustang94

ha ford wnated 600 to put mine in. luckily it was a gift so i didn't pay for it 8)

The Green GT

Reaction score
I did my Ford Raicng gears myself and have no whine whatsoever.

The break in it said to be like 3 heat cycles. Let them heat up, and cool down 3 times. I was going to do that but then I thought to myself. I have heard of plenty of people who have nailed them from the get go and they didnt have any problems. :)

And if there is a whine, it will not go away with time, dont let a shop tell you otherwise.

M

musclemustang94

yeah i have heard they dont need broke in either. i didn't break mine in.

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
well, i am going to fix it myself wich i should have done this myself in the first place.....ok, ford calls for .0005 - .0010" for the backlash, u guys agree? and the pinion bearing preload is about 25-30 inch pounds, agree?.....just wondering what you guys have done yourselves and had good luck.

M

musclemustang94

Don't forget about a good wear pattern. You want it to be centered on the tooth. Have fun! Make sure its right lol.

The Green GT

Reaction score
I did most of mine myself. I put them in and everything, but I brought the rear to a transmission guy I know and he set the backlash for me real quick. He did it by hand. :D

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
not sure if it will be fun but definitely interesting and i am gonna get some gear paint so that the wear pattern is right....but do those tolerances look right?

p-351

Reaction score
TripleBlack said:

How is that supposed to be adjustable---is it a peel shim??

I put Yukon gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion in my Bronco--and they don't make a sound. I was even able to use my factory carrier shims!!! Here's a link to their setup guide http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit.pdf

Here's link to their site---lots of great info in there http://www.ringpinion.com/

I just got done setting up some FRPP 3.73s in the wife's 94GT tonight--I should be able to get it out on the road tomorrow to report back on the whine.

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
i have no idea how it adjusts but if it works then it would be well worth the money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online